would you volunteer ?

Keith Evans 3

I've been watching a series on aircraft disasters over the last few weeks and I'm posing this question .

If all the flight crew are incapacitated and there are no other pilots available and all you are capable of doing is flying an R/C model aircraft ,would you if asked to do so , attempt to fly and land the plane ( it's a big one with loads of passenger and there is nothing wrong with it ) ?

I fly a lot and this crosses my mind every time .

Happy New Year

Keith

Advert

Of course I would unless my son was available. When he was 15 we treated him to a full aircraft deck simulator (that pilots use to brush up on). As he already flew gilders the guy gave him Gibraltar (cracked that in one go) then Innsbruck and as we we running short of time Manchester to Liverpool with everything thrown out of the weather box and nailed that!

I once mentioned that he could always go around for a landing his reply was that you don't with a glider wink

Posted by Phil McCavity on 01/01/2021 13:24:19:

No idea why it takes hundreds of thousands of pounds and years to train an airline pilot, a few years holding a Tx, a PC sim and being brilliant on a playstation is enough. It's all dead easy.........dont know

That's more about reliable safe operation than the mechanics of getting an aircraft onto a runway in one piece. Some years ago, three friends and I (2 glider pilots and 2 with basic PPLs) were treated to a session in a 737 simulator by a gliding club member who was a training captain for a local airline. Only one of the 4 made a mess of the landing (a biiiiig bounce) and he was only recently qualified as a solo glider pilot. We all completed circuits and landed on the runway with only verbal advice so the chances of a non-expert aviator getting an airliner onto the ground safely aren't non-existent by any means.

There is all the difference in the world between flying an approach and landing in ‘gin clear’ conditions with a gentle breeze down a long dry runway, a lightly loaded aircraft, and no terrain issues on the approach - and the alternative. Namely, flying an approach where terrain, the weather ( low cloud, poor viz, turbulence, wind sheer, cross winds), short RW, high-altitude, contaminated RW, play a part.

So in your dream scenario of taking over control of a big jet after the crew are incapacitated let’s hope that you get the former conditions not the latter! Let’s also hope that there is someone handy with knowledge of the aircraft type to feed you information about power settings and pitch attitudes on the approach, - at the very least. Without that I don’t fancy your chances. 😳

Happy New Year everybody.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 01/01/2021 14:35:16

Yep, if no one else was more qualified then i have nothing to loose. I have flown a variety of full size light aircraft/gliders over the years with the air cadets or at uni, i also have goodness knows how many hours in various flight sims with rudder pedals and all that. Back in about 1999 i was able to fly a 747 sim at heathrow again with the air cadets. My landing would have made ryanair proud. I mean, we paid for suspension in the undercarriage, why not use it all?

Strangely, actually flying the plane is not what would worry me, its all the systems on the aircraft and how to operate them. As a starter you need to let someone know you are in trouble. That means setting the transponder to 7700 (emergency code) and operate the radio to call for help. Im sure i could figure it out, but that part is more concerning that physically flying the thing.

In the absence of someone more qualified, yes, I only have experience in solo flying full size gliders so the stick and pedals should be OKish, but I’m used to an instrument panel with only 4/5/dials so someone would need to help with all the instrumentation. Given that I will recognise some of it but probably now on a glass panel rather than a few dials.

S

Hi All,

While waiting for a take off slot on an Easyjet 737 flight from Gatwick to Dublin as we weren't going any where for 30 minutes slid up to the cockpit to chat to the crew, they were only to happy to have somebody else to chat with and they gave me the left hand seat to sit in I think only the APU was running !

I think a controlled crash would be achievable but slowing her down from 450 knots would be the issue without stalling !! There are an awful lot of dials & switches

When my daughters were young flying to the Med 35 years ago you had to visit the flight deck it was the done thing .

Regards Ray

I would give it a go, It's either that or auger in. I might become a hero and get on Love Island.

It's not the flying that is the problem, If you can fly any plane you can probably fly an airliner. It's knowing what all the knobs and switches do.

And nobody can tell you unless you can figure out the radio so don't mess with it until you have a contact. Don't forget to ask where the brakes are. Maybe the reverse thrust too - ONLY use that when it's on the ground.

RC flying will help. I learned to fly on what was said to be a 'tricky' aircraft in 1976 and went solo after four hours, mostly due to my RC experience.

Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 01/01/2021 17:12:57:

I would give it a go, It's either that or auger in. I might become a hero and get on Love Island.

Not somewhere I'm familiar with. Does it have a big runway? Nothing like St. Barths' or Saba Island's I assume?

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 01/01/2021 17:26:02

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 01/01/2021 17:23:50:
Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 01/01/2021 17:12:57:

Not somewhere I'm familiar with. Does it have a big runway? Nothing like St. Barths' or Saba Island's I assume?

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 01/01/2021 17:26:02

I've never seen it either, bur I have read some comments on Microsoft News about it.

I'm a 'nice' person. My wife said I remind her of 'Endeavour' (the young inspector Morse) on TV so I must be smiley