Home brew diesel

Rich Griff

Anyone using home brew diesel ?

Anyone know where I can get medical castor, medical parraffin, ether and ipn ?

Would 99percent rubbing alcohol be a good substitute for ipn ?

Any chemists on here ?

Will reread the fuel thread as someone mentioned ether less homebrew...

Edited By Rich Griff on 13/01/2021 15:21:46

Advert

It's been a looooooong time since I used model diesel fuel but I'm not sure that you need medical grade materials if you are just going to run an engine on it and not drink it smiley.

Paraffin should be available from your local hardware store (the old fashioned type, not B&Q).

Castor oil, Diethyl Ether and Isopropyl Nitrate are available from laboratory suppliers such as Fisher Scientific but you will need to shop around for the best prices.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 13/01/2021 15:53:58

You can buy medicinal grade castor on ebay.

You don't need medicinal grade paraffin,

You will struggle to get ether (DiEthyl Ether) and IPN generally.

Rubbing alcohol is nothing like IPN. PAW recommend trying hexyl nitrate instead of IPN.

If you live near Southern Modelcraft fuels in Tonbridge then they sell either: (a) perfectly serviceable ready blended diesel fuel, or (b) Some of the components.

Alternatively, some mail order model shops stock Model Technics range of ready blended fuels and will be able to courier a can of that to you.

Some people in the colonies use John Deere Starter fluid as an ether substitute.

Posted by Doug Campbell on 13/01/2021 16:41:00:

You can get castor oil ok, still used for kart racing. Synthetic and mineral motor oil is also suitable. Parra fin is easy to get, as is white spirit which is a good substitute for paraffin. Ether is going to be your problem. Cetane boosters are readily bought online. Don’t use alcohol in diesel fuel

Ether on Ebay.

I would suggest that if you want to mix fuel yourself, then some of your raw materials will have to be bought in larger quantities than a small tin of ready mixed fuel. Therefore while the cost per tankful might work out cheaper in the long run, your upfront costs will be higher, to say nothing of storing the components to keep it in good condition until you get round to flying it!

Many years ago and article in Aeromodeller gave a recipe for etherless diesel fuel. From memory the oil used was modified rape seed oil and the mix was 20% oil and 80%paraffin with an addition of up to five % of , I think, IPN. Starting was a bit difficult but helped by using a prime of normal diesel fuel. Again from memory engine ran a bit hotter than with ether fuels and compression needed to be slightly higher. I remember that with ether fuels compression needed backing off a bit once the engine was running and not doing this seemed to do the necessary for the higher compression of the etherless fuel. My engines run on this mix made my C/L models of the time somewhat faster than with conventional fuel and started more easily when still hot from a previous run.

I believe the article was by an industrial chemist called Robert Dulake.

Will try to hunt up the rape oil modification if anyone is interested.

Malcolm

I believe you can use 2-ethylhexyl nitrate in place of IPN. Its used commonly as a cetane booster for automotive diesel. Its easy to get too on ebay or amazon.

Beyond that paraffin is easy enough, ether a little more of a challenge, and as the other guys have said if using castor make sure you get a good one.

Also, and i hate to be all nanny state, but mixing fuel can be rather precarious and it would be sub optimal to blow yourself up or knock yourself out with ether fumes so it might be safer/easier just to buy it from SMC or Model Technics.

Got to agree with Jon. Back in the early 70's (in the days of my youth) I was messing about with combat control line using Copeman Oliver Tigers and PAW 19's. We tried mixing our own fuels trying to get the edge. We realised that the commercial fuel, KeilKraft Nitrated diesel, did just what it said on the tin and we didn't have to hunt around local chemists to find the ingredients. Class 'B' team race with ETA 29's was a different matter.

You can also use Jet A 1 instead of parrafin in the mix. Its more refined kerosene and according to a friend is easier to start although it does smell a bit more . Any small airport that support small jets or helicopters might be able to sell you some , worth a call . You will have to fill a form in with all of your details for custom excise . Getting proper parrafin here in the south east is nigh impossible as all the good old fashioned hardware shops have gone.

In the 50s you could also buy all the ingredients for gunpowder in the chemist.

IN a pre 1950s Aeromodeller gadget page there was a descriptipn of how to make a bomb that could be dropped from a model and the very simple ignition system for the charge.

Perhaps luckily mine didn't work!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/01/2021 11:15:15

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/01/2021 11:15:35

I have been making up Diesel fuel for the "lads" of "our" club for a good few years now .and they say its as good as commercial stuff. You need to make it for a few people to make it commercially viable , but the way I do it , about 1/2 price

Castrol M 25% a gallon lasts a life time !!

Ether 35% from Southern Model craft at Show

Parrafin 40%from Garden center

and up to 3% Da Nitrate from Southern Modelcraft at show

Parrafinthe alchemist 001 (small).jpg

Source for Castrol M then please? I believe it has been discontinued.

Also, I specifically did not mention buying from Southern Modelcraft at a show as a) There were no shows last year and b) There's a good chance there won't be any this year. Also, the OP is on a budget, so he would have to factor in the cost of getting to the show and show entry.

I bought a 5 gl drum of M way back in 70s ! and I still have about 6 pints left !! As a club we bought R and M by the 5 gallons to make our own glow fuel , as this is the remnants of those days .

did not know it was no longer availiable ! So "my" fuel may soon cease ! Cos I have run out of "R"totally.

cheers

Unnecessarily harsh there Alan IMO. Stuphedd is only highlighting what he does, and it has already been mentioned there are equivalent castors in supply. Plus he only stated where he picked up other elements, i.e. at a show.. or has the thread changed to home brew diesel in times of covid and no shows.

We like people to contribute to the discussion and responses like yours could put people off.

Chill a bit, and give people a chance

Malcolm Fisher, yes please....was making research to find you, in these covid times. I have size 20 feet and didn't want to.........

Anyways yes please, thank you, I am very interested...

It would be good to home brew as I am on a tight budget and at least 60 miles from a model shop. I doubt d1000 can come thru the post these days, lipo''s can't easily apparently.

D1000 is great ( glue sniffers you know nothing, we are the originals....) but expensive, glow fuel seems to be catching up as well.

Southport is about 100 miles from me.

Thanks for all replies. Stay safe out there.

Edited By Rich Griff on 14/01/2021 21:30:06