I could be the only one

Erfolg

There is also the fact that we both put on weight over Christmas (I wonder why??) and now have to limit the intake of comfort foods while we try to get back to normal. We also try to observe a dry January. These two things on top of everything else don't help at all. I too find myself reluctant to get out into the workshop shed and make progress on repairs and builds. Roll on easing of restrictions.

Advert

I like many others now have plenty of models to test fly so want to get back flying. Also as Nigel says I'm missing my other activities. I play in two tenpin bowling leagues which have stopped since last March. Even though I have still spent a fair bit on modelling, not bowling twice a week with the entailed driving 2 x 80 mile round trips my bank balance has never been so healthy, so there is a positive side to lockdown.

John

From what you read and occasionally hear, it is getting the UK and visitors spending that would help in dealing with the UK Government borrowing (via tax take).

Although I think you are suggesting that many of us will not be around to deal with the long term issue. I am willing to try and hang on to help out, as long as I can.

On this not very good day, weather wise, I am slowly trying to build indoors as it’s too cold in my garage. But although I’m having ago, I started reading building blogs on here, in between the glue taking hold. That was great until I realised that on some of the pictures the guy building had a mountain of wood to play with. ( Which I haven’t) This then got the mind going into overdrive with the feeling of exactly what Covid has done, by giving me the feeling of what I have had taken away from me. Funny thing the brain, especially at my age.

I can sympathise with the original post. I am really struggling to get any enthusiasm to get my York finished. Just a bit of paint and decals needed but somehow can't be bothered. I sit watching any old thing on tv and keep thinking of going into my workshop but it just doesn't happen and I do not really know why.

I am also giving some thought to my next project. For once I have some spare cash to hand but despite much online research I just cannot seem to fine either an ARTF or kit that grabs me!

Hopefully my enntusiasm will return at some point.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/01/2021 20:07:35

• 2 weeks later...

Whirlwind for me - such a beautiful shape. More so in comparison to the others!

Having said that, as I am relatively close to Elvington, the Halifax would make much more sense.....

Although, maybe the Defiant - never seen that modelled.

Sorry, I am not really helping, am I?

Go with your heart, not your head.

GG

Posted by Erfolg on 16/01/2021 13:38:54:

Yesterday, the better half and myself walked down to the beach, probably 200 yards. Then walked about a mile along it. The air had a cold chill, the Gulls were not even to be seen in any numbers, just a solitary Cormorant, Shag, or similar could be seen in the distance. Both of us with our full Arctic Gear being worn. Still I shivered.

It was notable that the parked cars of day trippers that have recently been filling the coast road were absent. Even the dog walkers were few and far between. Local walkers and joggers were also mostly absent.

So it was a surprise when we happened upon two fellow golfers at my wives club. A discussion between these women generally centred on how long, when will we, playing golf again. Just to emphasis we all were about 3 metres apart, the whole time.

As we continued our walk, into the biting breeze, noting that the fresh water percolating from the sand dunes formed puddles of iced water, I ruminated internally with respect to the distress that these woman felt.

I then thought four years ago, I flew models daily, either at was then my club field or the 9 hole golf course at the back of our house. Having moved there was no chance of flying on any of the now local golf courses. Even those closed due to ground conditions. I flew mostly 2-3 times a week pre lock.

Lock down reduced flying to once in 9 months.

I then thought, I no longer miss flying as I had done, I am not desperate to fly any models as I was was. The few models I have completed and built during lock down, await being flown. But I think if I see them take to the air once will be enough etc.

Now i do ponder, is an age thing, as I am now officially as well as sometimes feeling old. Catching a glimpse of myself in my bathroom mirror, comes as a shock, who is that old man? I am not consciously aware that I am no longer in my thirties.

Or perhaps it is all the build and other things that I do during lock down , are seen as more interesting

Even the BMFA area meetings are now Zoom. I no longer have to go out.

All of this had me thinking, even a small number behaving as I now do, could be further bad news for our hobby, the trade and potentially the BMFA membership. Although just like NT i would be reluctant to drop out of the movements, as in principle they are worth supporting.

Then I pondered, both the BMFA and NT rely on a small number of members who voluntarily make things happen, at club, and the competitions.

So, are others still enthused , barely able to contain themselves, as they await release from lock down. Or have other interests taken over?

It's mostly age. As you get older it becomes more and more 'bother' to do 'optional' things like model flying, fishing, etc. particularly if it involves driving about, 'setting up' and putting it all back in the car and then the house afterwards. If electric rather than glow all the faffing around beforehand becomes too much hassle too. By the time I've charged several batteries I tend to lose interest in going at all.

I've always been a 'builder', (and still quite a fast one if I want to be). Many are my own (scale) designs as I enjoy the (old fashioned but much quicker than any computerised method) process of technical drawing/draftsmanship.

And I'm good at it. As good as any well-known professional model designer and a lot better than some.

But nowadays most of my flying is 'proof' of the model. I'm longer 'frightened' of flying  toy planes, can fly any sort, and they all fly much the same anyway, from Auster to turbine F-16. 

Also when you look at the  'fun had per pound spent'  although I don't actually care about the cost I've given up on the more fancy models. A 60 inch or so WW2 single engine fighter of accurate shape and with retracts,   but lacking 'dolls house' stuff  such as rivets and lots of  instruments is more than adequate. 

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 02/02/2021 06:44:03

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 02/02/2021 06:47:11

I'm keeping reasonably busy in my 'workshop' (spare bedroom), changing last year's models from electric to glow. My second attempt to join the modern age (the first was about 20 years ago) and go electric, but it doesn't do it for me. Hopefully, I'll have a good selection of powered models ready to fly once we can get out again.

What I do miss is music - I have been playing in bands (bass guitar) for years, and am used to frequent gigs. I miss the company, the playing and the money!

Last year I quit my main band as I was fed up with the driving (I live near Oxford, we rehearsed in Leicester, gigs in London, Yorkshire, Devon, etc. - even south Germany in 2019) and joined up with another playing the same music (Grateful Dead covers) locally. We had a good summer playing in fields around the city of Oxford, battery powered amplifiers and all appropriately distanced (one of the band members is a GP), but eventually the weather put a stop to that. Hopefully, we can resume sometime after Easter.

At this time of the year, I usually have a full gig diary, at the moment I have two - both on the same weekend in August! One is a festival in Kent, the other is playing with a couple of friends at a wedding in Wiltshire. I hope the latter isn't cancelled as it's my daughter who is getting married!

I am hoping a new project will get my mojo going again. Trouble is nothing is really grabbing me at the moment. Even my shortlist is not really doing it for me. I don't really know what is going on with me. Never really got the drive back since my redundancy last year even though it worked out well in the end.

Maybe I should do something a bit simpler, single engine maybe?

I still keep looking for a new project and then I find something and look at pictures, 3-views etc and then lose interest.

I have actually started doing a 1000 piece jigsaw that was a freebie. At least it is keeping my brain occupied and I am not staring at a screen with total frustration.

Maybe inspriration will strike whiele I am doing it.

I have several projects on the go. I have an old FVK Signal 2.4m slope glider which was in desperate need of a makeover, so I've rubbed back the paint on the glass fuse ready for repainting and have recovered the veneered foam wings. As I'm working from the office I only have weekends available to paint spray, (outdoors) and so am dependent upon the weather also.

I also have a partially built Phoenix Models Vagabond MkII slope glider to complete and that is my next job. But I am just awaiting delivery of a J & H Aerospace Micro Bird of Time, (48" ) which I'm really looking forward to building and flying this spring. Also from J & H Aerospace, (and in the same delivery as the BoT), is a P1B-1 Sky Voyager rubber powered model. I've been watching a lot of videos of rubber powered free flight models and fancied reliving my youth by flying one of these again. I've been watching videos from one particular guy who flys from a astro turf football field in the middle of Manhatton NY and converts his rubber powered models to single channel RC. If I get the bug for this area of our hobby then I may just do the same rather than go down the route of installing a dethermaliser.

So I have plenty to keep me busy at the moment as in Wales we're not allowed to travel to go flying.

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 02/02/2021 09:32:12

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 02/02/2021 09:32:42

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/02/2021 09:06:58:

I still keep looking for a new project and then I find something and look at pictures, 3-views etc and then lose interest.

I have actually started doing a 1000 piece jigsaw that was a freebie. At least it is keeping my brain occupied and I am not staring at a screen with total frustration.

Maybe inspriration will strike whiele I am doing it.

How about an EDF Pete?

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 02/02/2021 09:31:18:

... Also from J & H Aerospace, (and in the same delivery as the BoT), is a P1B-1 Sky Voyager rubber powered model. I've been watching a lot of videos of rubber powered free flight models and fancied reliving my youth by flying one of these again. I've been watching videos from one particular guy who flys from a astro turf football field in the middle of Manhatton NY and converts his rubber powered models to single channel RC. If I get the bug for this area of our hobby then I may just do the same rather than go down the route of installing a dethermaliser.

So I have plenty to keep me busy at the moment as in Wales we're not allowed to travel to go flying.

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 02/02/2021 09:32:12

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 02/02/2021 09:32:42

Yes he's very amusing the man with his rubber powered radio controlled models. I believe he's a lecturer in mathematics at New York University.

Here's his Keil Kraft Ace. I built one when I was a youth but it did not fly as well as his!

**LINK**

Hi Steve h 1, you a "gog" or from down south?

I have heard of the   chap in New York but not seen the video, it won't open for me.

Mojo, and loss if it.

Yes know all about that, but you will snap out of it.

Routine, routine routine and keeping busy is the trick.

Do the washing up and hovering whilst she changes the car engine oil, what's good for the goose etc..

But seriously, do not just park yourself in front of the TV or computer screen, treat them as a reward not a right.

Again go do something and break up your day, you will wonder where the day went.

Excersice, a good brisk 20 mins walk works wonders especially in the sun ( sun, what's that ? Been grey and cold here since July 67 ! ).

If you can't get out, walk up and down the stairs 20 times a day, but towmbo will nag about the carpet wear, if so shock her and promise to buy a new one.

Your mojo will come back.

Edited By Rich Griff on 02/02/2021 10:23:59

Posted by Dave S. on 02/02/2021 08:26:26:

I'm keeping reasonably busy in my 'workshop' (spare bedroom), changing last year's models from electric to glow. My second attempt to join the modern age (the first was about 20 years ago) and go electric, but it doesn't do it for me. Hopefully, I'll have a good selection of powered models ready to fly once we can get out again.

What I do miss is music - I have been playing in bands (bass guitar) for years, and am used to frequent gigs. I miss the company, the playing and the money!

Last year I quit my main band as I was fed up with the driving (I live near Oxford, we rehearsed in Leicester, gigs in London, Yorkshire, Devon, etc. - even south Germany in 2019) and joined up with another playing the same music (Grateful Dead covers) locally. We had a good summer playing in fields around the city of Oxford, battery powered amplifiers and all appropriately distanced (one of the band members is a GP), but eventually the weather put a stop to that. Hopefully, we can resume sometime after Easter.

At this time of the year, I usually have a full gig diary, at the moment I have two - both on the same weekend in August! One is a festival in Kent, the other is playing with a couple of friends at a wedding in Wiltshire. I hope the latter isn't cancelled as it's my daughter who is getting married!

I only play in a purely amateur band, Ukulele and Trumpet but I really miss playing our live gigs, can't beat the roar of the sawdust and the smell of the crowd.

Even on a small stage there is a great buzz about seeing people bopping along to the music we're playing.

Let's hope it won't be too long.

I've assembled a Tundra, just about to order an M60 DS glider and I've got a couple of Lidl's to convert. Plenty of maidens when we're allowed out again.

Why not have a go at a hovercraft. I have had a go with a scratch build foam board hovercraft.

I am having trouble with it turning on its access suspect it may be a thrust angle issue as it spins to the right. The thrust is provided with an EDF mounted directly onto a servo!. as i say its a scratch build bit of fun. Might give you something to have ago at and test the brain cellls..hover2.jpg

Posted by Zflyer on 02/02/2021 13:47:50:

Why not have a go at a hovercraft. I have had a go with a scratch build foam board hovercraft.

I am having trouble with it turning on its access suspect it may be a thrust angle issue as it spins to the right. The thrust is provided with an EDF mounted directly onto a servo!. as i say its a scratch build bit of fun. Might give you something to have ago at and test the brain cellls..hover2.jpg

Put some about 45 degree vanes opposing the torque in the outlet rim (not in the fan duct).

It worked fine on the one I made.