Site migration, please be aware of the dates...

Hi folks. An update from me following a zoom meeting with the developers earlier today.

First off, as you may be aware, this site and forum will be migrated to a new platform very soon. There are several reasons for this which (most I won't bore you with) but improvements in mobile device compatibility is one.

I now have some specifics I can share. The new forum will be based on Invision software, a popular and flexible platform. Many of you may already visit forums based on this and be familiar with their operation.

Your moderators have been playing with the new beta site over the last few days and can report that although, inevitably, there are some differences in appearance and modus operandi, we think the improvements are obvious and will be appreciated. Photo uploads for instance are just a click and drag affair.

All historic posts and photos will come across to the new site.

But... there's a lot of stuff to migrate and it'll mean that there will be a gap of 2-3 days during which this forum will freeze and the new site will be populated and tested.

The provisional timeline is:

Thu/Fri 4/5th Feb - forum data moved across. This forum frozen.

Fri, Sat, Sun 5/6/7 Feb - new forum populated and tested.

Mon, Tue 8th and 9th - new site/forum open.

I'm sorry that the temporary freeze is necessary but I hope everyone will consider it worthwhile. I think they very much will after a little acclimatisation.

If the dates shift I'll let you all know and I'll update you all here nearer the time too. Thanks for your patience and understanding. 

David.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 28/01/2021 19:35:22

Photo drag and drop? Will that work on a phone ?

Yes the new version works much better on a phone than this old version. Many of the enhancements that have been asked for here for quite a while seem to be included. 

The look is quite different but after a short adjustment, I'm sure most folk will take to it quickly.

I think we'll have a lot of fun helping each other get used to it. 

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 28/01/2021 21:31:15

Posted by Rich Griff on 28/01/2021 19:41:18:

Photo drag and drop? Will that work on a phone ?

If your phone operates like a desktop Rich, more likely you'll be able to upload straight from a gallery on your phone. What I meant was 'direct upload' with no file sizing necessary (max file size 48mb).

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 28/01/2021 19:50:06

No change to the web address but I'll let you know if the forum is viewable during the changeover.

The worst case is that the forum will be useable after the final data transfer and so posts made over the weekend will disappear when the new site goes live. I'm still waiting for final confirmation in this respect.

Did you mean window or tab?

I think you'll be pleased to know that it defaults to opening a link in a new tab and I can't find an option to do otherwise.

It's a subject that does divide people - I've always preferred hitting the back button to either closing the new tab or ending up with lots of open ones but it's always been an option for the poster which way a link behaves on this forum. Admittedly the default option of opening it in the same tab is taken by the majority...

It's a bit late but maybe not everyone is aware that you can right click on a link and that gives the option to open a link in either a new window or a new tab.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 30/01/2021 13:54:18

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 30/01/2021 13:50:43:

It's a bit late but maybe not everyone is aware that you can right click on a link and that gives the option to open a link in either a new window or a new tab.

Or just hit 'shift' and click on the link /advert etc and a new window appears smiley