DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Advert

I had an interesting message from a friend that said, braided bowden cable should always be used for throttles, possibly due to vibration damping? Anybody heard this??

Meanwhile in Auster land, I refitted the lower panels that I had to remove. because I cut with a scalpel, and at a steep angle, everything aligns and goes back reasonably well.

260.thumb.JPG.93e5e68be4a0e5db17a51ff3cfbff3b5.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Considered opinion is that metal rods should not be used for throttle pushrods as vibes can be transmitted back to servo. I’ve used piano wire as throttle pushrods and not experienced any problems, maybe it depends upon how thick / rigid said wire is. I tend to use Bowden cable mainly because it can bend around obstacles such as fuel tanks!

• Thanks 1

I think it goes back to the early days of RC and metal carb. levers, when the metal to metal interfered with the signal. Most carbs now have a plastic lever, I have always used a piano wire throttle control where I have been able to get a straight run and never had ant problems with it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David P Williams said:

That's how most of mine are, it just overflows through the pressure line out of the muffler. I count turns of the handpump or seconds on the electric pump so I don't waste too much.

Okay that makes sense. Yes should be able to calibrate crank turns with cowl removed ?

Time or turns for guide but then I also pull the pressure line and place the end in a small bottle to collect the overfill. Prevents killing the grass or staining the hard standing.

Being an honorary Yorkshireman you can reuse any overfill as its clean having not been through the silencer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colin Leighfield said:

Danny, could you put a T-piece into the tubing that connects to the exhaust for 

pressure? Take another piece of fuel tube from that to somewhere you can conceal, with a plug in the end that you can remove when you fill up? 

I did muse over that colin, but couldnt see how it would be encouraged to favour the overflow tube as opposed to the exhaust route. I think counting pump rotations should work ?

It’s wise to keep pipe work and joins to a minimum. Reduces the risk of air leaks and poor reliability . Have different colours of fuel tubing, makes it easier to remember what pipe goes where when exiting the fire wall.

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cymaz said:

It’s wise to keep pipe work and joins to a minimum. Reduces the risk of air leaks and poor reliability . Have different colours of fuel tubing, makes it easier to remember what pipe goes where when exiting the fire wall.

Different colour tubing is a good idea, I use Green for  Glow, and Pink for Pressure...

• Like 1

I have some green and red translucent tubing on its way sufficiently coloured to identify which is which, but clear enough to see the contents moving.

263.thumb.JPG.308cba2defa8fc2f52e6439921a433eb.JPG

My laser 80 arrived this morning, and placing it alongside the bay the tank would need to be lowered, and that's is not straightforward as the floor of the tank box is built in. So I will save the Laser for another model and stay with the Saito 82. I can always change it later if I really feel the urge.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

At my fathers I was looking through an old book from the 1940's (Odhams Railways, Ships and Aeroplanes) and on the second page of the Aeroplanes section are two photo's of an Army Auster doing it's business (scanned here for your pleasure). If the photo's have not been superimposed (I am looking at the shadow and elevator position in shot 2 which are dubious ) its pilot has quite impressive flying skill or a death wish.

Fancy doing this as a "Scale" manoever at a contest? Here is the photographic evidence.

As a youngser I used to pour over that book looking at all the illustrations of Steam engines, Ships and Aeroplanes. There is a picture of a Quantas DH86 airliner and plenty of shorts flying boats all very period even the "new" jet gets a mention. It has that lovely old book aroma too :-).

Auster1.thumb.jpg.38c9c18466a0d68c6718fe10a9fbdbc0.jpgauster2.thumb.jpg.d342f2f21b2d12ea7682c28faa2b5f17.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get the tail surfaces sanded/rounded. I have also filled the carbon tube areas with sculpted balsa.

Hard points added to the tail-plane too, the rigging will be functional so this will be important.

265.thumb.JPG.d11cc5259b1ade3b403c15967c16b756.JPG

Two coats of full strength dope and we are ready for covering.

266.thumb.JPG.a29a3d19051af5131d830017c07ce907.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1