"Bill Kits" anybody?

SIMON CRAGG

I took in on myself to try and organise a "Club Model" to be built over the Winter, and flown in a variety of simple events during 2023.

After a lot of research, I came up with the Bill Kits "BIG FUN" model.

Why?

One of very few build up kits on the market at sensible money, can be IC or electric, straightforward to build and fly etc. etc.

Eleven club members purchased a kit and they arrived yesterday.

The packaging was outstanding. Not a mark on anything, and all clearly marked. (Some foam wing /or ic version).

Bill kindly rang me to make sure they had arrived safely.

Having had one of these models many years ago, I'm sure we will all have "fun" flying them.

I would thoroughly recommend Bill Kits to anybody out there who wants good old fashioned value for money and outstanding customer care.

Time to dig out the building board!.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Please keep us posted.  For xmas, I'm going to get a funfly - either a Limbo Dance (if there any!), a Touch & Go, or maybe a Big Fun......

If you are thinking of getting one, I would be tempted to order one earlier than later. https://www.billkits.com/ as Bill is always busy!.

Because we had a bulk order we got a very generous discount and free postage. Why not trawl round your club mates and do the same, they can be powered to be as "mild or wild" as you see fit. I think that is what attracted so many of our members to get one.

I set up a club group e-mail "BIG FUN" page where we can exchange info during the construction period. Good for club chit chat during the Winter months!.

ARTF prices are astronomic at present, and competitively priced fun fly kits seem to be virtually non existent hence the reason we went to Bill.

Detailed instructions and a nice full sized plan.

Just add coffee and chocolate digestives..................heaven!.

3 hours ago, Neil James said:

I’ve still got mine stored in the shed, although it’s looking a little battered now! There’s an SC36 engine still in it too and probably a 35MHz receiver. I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit it for electric?

37ED6667-EC16-4AE1-AE66-2DE71397FA79.jpeg

Hopefully, I'll be able to tell you shortly. Ten out of the eleven are going to be electric powered!.

On 08/10/2022 at 23:38, SIMON CRAGG said:

Hopefully, I'll be able to tell you shortly. Ten out of the eleven are going to be electric powered!.

It's the current trend I suppose. Electric motors are so quiet, clean and reliable. No cutting out in flight, no starting problems and they've probably saved lots of flying fields but somehow I can't take to them. Must be getting old and set in my ways!

3 hours ago, Erfolg said:

I have only realised that I have not been following the thread.

I will post some details about the model tomorrow. Although the build is very straight forward, the electrics most unremarkable.

Thanks, if the motor and ESC are reason and I can use my 3s 2200 LiPos then I will definitely be interested.

The motor I used is a D3536/8 @1000 kv. The prop is a 10"* 7" Esc is a 40 Amp (Hobby King). The motor draws 27 amps.

The motor is marketed by many people with slightly different claimed makers/brands.

I have run on 3s although now uses 4s.

There are only a set of pictures which are about converting to electric from Ic, although never kitted out fully as a IC model.

The only problem I have had is that my nose wheel block split, More my own fault than the model for under sizing and operating sometimes from less than great grass.

The pilots were supposed to be the same scale. I used one in the end.

WP_20170626_14_30_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20170626_14_31_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20171019_13_45_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20171019_13_45_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20171019_13_45_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20171019_13_47_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20171025_16_50_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20171025_16_51_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20171025_16_52_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_10_59_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_10_59_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20181205_14_03_03_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve ordered a Big Fun - haven’t decided on IC or Electric yet so went for the full kit.  If you know you want to do electric then tell Bill when ordering and he will knock off a few quid for removing things like the tank and motor mount.

My preference is electric but depends on (1) what the motor, ESC, battery requirements are and (2) what IC engines pop up in the classifieds.

But very interested in electric so please let me know what electric setups you recommend.

I set up a test rig so I could weigh the power train. The plan shows various firewalls depending on the weight, and is cut to suit.

After trying ten different props and 3/4s:

Settled on a 3548-900 / 4s 1500 / 13x4 / 80a esc

60a / 897w....should be enough for a model just over Lb3!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

I set up a test rig so I could weigh the power train. The plan shows various firewalls depending on the weight, and is cut to suit.

After trying ten different props and 3/4s:

Settled on a 3548-900 / 4s 1500 / 13x4 / 80a esc

60a / 897w....should be enough for a model just over Lb3!

Thanks for that, very useful.  I see you have gone for 4S rather than 3S - that is a bit of a concern for me, I bit the bullet and ordered assuming that I would be able to use my 3S batteries - maybe I have been too hasty as I don’t want to be buying a set of batteries for this.

What did your testing with 3S show - is it unacceptable or did you go 4S because you wanted extreme performance?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

I found this on the 4-Max website and wonder what you think.

It is for the Avicraft Fun “E” which is 48”, 3.25 lbs.  It shows two configurations

Performance : PO-3457-800, 14x7, 3S 2200

High Performance : PO-3457-800, 13x4, 4S 2600

I’m quite new to this, the main thing I see is a significantly reduced pitch and I presume higher RPM in the high performance setup but I don’t know enough to appreciate how that will change the flying characteristics.

I like the idea that you can switch between the two configurations simply by changing the battery and the prop, but would it be that simple as the 4S battery would be 25% heavier.

@SIMON CRAGG - I see you are going for a 1500 battery, is that to keep weight down, what flight time would you expect from that.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather