Props for OS 15LA

Tim Donald

I'm looking for a prop for an OS 15 LA in the recommended 8x4 size.   The problem is that APC props seem to be for prop shafts from 6mm and the OS15 is 5mm (or just under according to my calipers).  Can anybody recommend a prop or a solution please?  Other manufacturers don't seem to say the prop shaft size (Master etc.)  Can I get some sort of adapter ring like the electric props sometimes come with?

Advert

29 minutes ago, Christopher Wolfe said:

I have used a layer of one or more short pieces of heat shrink tubing to increase the diameter of a prop shaft to suit a hole in a prop.

Shrink it in place with a heat gun until the prop is a snug fit.

I used to do the same & previously something similar with a few turns of insulating tape.

• Like 1

I'd guess the little OS will use a UNF thread much like their bigger glow engines... 7/32" maybe?  APC IC props are usually imperial drillings - 1/4"? 

Must admit I'd just wind some tape round the shaft until the thing was snug. It's all held in place by the prop nut anyway.

• Like 1

Do not know what type of aircraft you are fitting your 15 to, but if a small and a bit fast then a 7x6 may suit best as in my O/D Fun fly. Fitted with OS MAX15 in pic but has flown with LA15 [ Met the trunk of a very large oak at high speed and drove the crank out of the backplate. :classic_ohmy: Aircraft nose destroyed but new one grafted on.

SAM_1765.JPG

10 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I'd guess the little OS will use a UNF thread much like their bigger glow engines... 7/32" maybe?  APC IC props are usually imperial drillings - 1/4"? 

Must admit I'd just wind some tape round the shaft until the thing was snug. It's all held in place by the prop nut anyway.

I've just learnt something.  I always thought these engines used M5 threads for their prop nuts but according to info on the web they are 10-32 UNF - which makes more sense for OS which have traditionally used UNF threads for most, if not all their larger engines.  M5 nuts will fit on 10-32 UNF threads but not vice versa as although dimensionally very close, the M5 is slightly larger diameter.

10-32 = 5.08mm diameter

10-32 pitch is 32 tpi and M5 is 31.75 tpi

I've used a variety of methods to adapt available propellers to smaller shafts ranging from tape, cardboard and metal shim to machined adapter rings depending on circumstances.  As Nigel says, the important thing is to ensure location while tightening.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Nigel, The OS instruction sheet for the 15LA says the thread is M5 (look at the bit in the middle of the second sheet at the bottom, where it lists the optional spinner nut).  OS15LA & OS25LA Instruction Sheet

Regarding spinners, the old black KeilKraft spinners with moulded screw thread between the front and back halves have a smaller hole than current spinners.  You maybe lucky enough to find one on Ebay, or an older club member may have one in the back of a drawer.

Edited by Robin Colbourne
  • Like 1