Overlander Lipo

Rocker

Just brought 3 brand new Overlander 3s 2200 lipo batteries.They came in storage mode .I have not charge them up yet but I check the battery resistance and all 3 batteries on all cells have a resistance of between 25 and 28.This seems to me to be a bit on the high side and not good .Is this normal for the resitance to be that high on a new battery ???.Or are these batteries faulty 

Edited by Rocker
Spelling

Advert

Are the batteries cold? EIR is very temperature sensitive. Also there’s no standard way of measuring it so different devices give different readings. That said, I would normally expect a reading of 15mohm or less (per cell) for a new 2200mah battery at around 21 deg C.

Edited by Trevor

How do they compare to existing packs of the same size that you already have at the same temperature and SOC? That is the acid test. Even so, I would expect that IR to drop at a higher SOC, though whether it will get to a number low enough to give you the stickered C rating is anyones guess. You can use this tool to get a more objective view of the performance they are capable of, though - yours look to be only capable of 10C based on that figure.

http://jj604.com/LiPoTool/

• 2 weeks later...

Rocker

It is quite likely the new LiPo are actually at a "transport" charge level set at the factory. This is now insisted by many forms of bulk transport. It is the lowest level of charge possible without causing long term damage. They usually recommend the battery is either fully charged and used or brought up to a storage level ASAP.

Internal resistance is measured by drawing a high(ish) current and measuring the voltage drop. I would not expect a valid IR reading from a LiPo at such a low charge level.

Fully charge the LiPo, measure its IR and then compare it to a similar 'good' fully charged LiPo currently being used.

Bit of a long reply Rocker but here is my recent experience.

Due to no flying during Covid and despite cycling the packs during this period I found myself needing to purchasing some new 2200 3S 40C+ packs this year for use in my 450 sized helicopters.  I purchased four different makes and sadly all but one make had one or more cells with ESR's above 15mR, even after conditioning the pack with three slow charge ( 1 Amp) and discharge cycle at 5 Amps to 3V8 all in a 20C ambient the ESR readings did not improve.  Two came from Amazon who immediately refunded the cost once I sent them the results which indicated a real '10C' rating using the Helifreak true C calculator, one Overlander 35C came from a local model shop who disputed my readings of a true 12C rating, but were unable to veryify them "as they did not have the correct equipment!" and they were unwilling to refund or return the pack to the manufacturer for further testing, so I am reluctantly the owner of an Overlander battery that does not have enough "grunt" to even lift the 450 helicopter off the ground for a few seconds !, so has been put to use in a 32" foamy.  The fourth battery was rated at 30C and from another reasonably local model shop, and of a widely advertised but new to me brand, it also had a true C of 12C.  The model shop accepted my findings and immediately replaced the pack with another of the same brand but rated at 50C.  This gave over 28C (still well short of the claimed 50C) but it has performed very well and with good capacity too.

I will undoubtebly be shot down for this, but since the demise of HK in the UK the quality of Lipo cells seems to have dropped in direct opposition to their price.  For the record the only packs that I found in recent times that consistently provided the claimed C ratings were the Zippy Compact ones, with 30C rated ones giving at least 35C, but are sadly not available at this time.

Lipo cells don't last forever. Some have a very short shelf life.

I don't believe we get the best quality cells in rc hobby packs. Even the expensive ones.

Cycling is not really necessary for lipo health. Although you may want to keep an eye on how the pack is ageing, I guess. 

• Like 2

Having tried just about every LiPo under the sun - including the "graphene" ones - the best I have found have been the Overlander SuperSport Pro. These appear to be made by Fullymax, who have a good reputation. They are the only ones I've found that don't go puffy half-way through the season! Don't get me started on the junk I've had from HobbyKing!

The Fullymax ones also do higher capacities (eg: 2900) in packs that are pretty much the same size as 2200s (well, they fit in my helis, designed for 2200s!), giving a useful increase in safety margin.

These are not the cheapest, but in my experience, they last well.

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with Overlander other than as a satisfied customer...

--

Pete

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Cycling is not really necessary for lipo health. Although you may want to keep an eye on how the pack is ageing, I guess.

Agreed, all the research shows this but I’ve observed that a significant percentage of people who grew up using nicads still think it’s necessary for lithium chemistry batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

27 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

Having tried just about every LiPo under the sun - including the "graphene" ones - the best I have found have been the Overlander SuperSport Pro. These appear to be made by Fullymax, who have a good reputation. They are the only ones I've found that don't go puffy half-way through the season! Don't get me started on the junk I've had from HobbyKing!

The Fullymax ones also do higher capacities (eg: 2900) in packs that are pretty much the same size as 2200s (well, they fit in my helis, designed for 2200s!), giving a useful increase in safety margin.

These are not the cheapest, but in my experience, they last well.

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with Overlander other than as a satisfied customer...

--

Pete

The only ones I can see with "Pro" in the name are the "Extreme Pro". Not being picky - just want to understand 😉

They are on the website! For example: https://www.overlander.co.uk/lipo-batteries/11-1v-3s/2900mah-11-1v-3s-35c-supersport-pro-lipo-battery-deans-connector.html

I've got quite  few of the 2900s for my smaller helis, and a couple of 5000s for my vintage Schluters. So far, they've outlasted every other LiPo I've tried, and still no sign of "puffing".

--

Pete

I've got just the one Overlander 3s1p 2900mah pack, which is moderately puffy - it's butty has long since gone to the recycling as it was very puffy indeed. Individual cell IR 24, 25, 23 ohmmm Both came with a pre-owned model and I doubt that the remaining pack will be used again.

IMG_0927.thumb.jpg.182c1108dec06858faf743c96b10d1a6.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Edited by leccyflyer

This last year been using Zeee 3s 2200 50c batts in my old Phase 3 EF16, most of flight is spent flat out and batts are just warm afterwards. Model soon had Overlander 35c looking like those above. The two Zeee's I have are still fine. Not tidy like in pic anymore but still fun. Wish it was still available.

PICT0001.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, late to this party. I can't  believe no one has mentioned George at 4-Max.  I have had a few of his cells over the years and no puffiness in any. Like most I have had varied success with HK zippy compacts mostly good but I find longevity a bit short rather than puffed to death. My overlanders seem pretty good in 3900 and 6200 size.

Recently I have purchased the China Hobby Line packs in 4000 6s Black 40c and also their 9500 racer pack. So far so good, no puffing detected various planes from 6s EF Turbo Raven for the 4000s to 12s Flex RV8 and EF 91 Extra for the 9500s. 

50 minutes ago, Chris Selvey-WIllars said:

Hi all, late to this party. I can't  believe no one has mentioned George at 4-Max. 

Maybe it's because he needs to sort out the cost of shipping his batteries to keep the overall price competitive.

Haven't had much use of them yet, due to the weather, but the Zee lipos I've had in the past few months appear well made, are relatively compact for the capacity, completely hassle free ordering from Amazon and are well balanced when delivered. I wasn't convinced at first with the bulky housing around the balance plug, but I'm okay with that now.