Is this a Scam? (BMFA)

Andy Stephenson

Good afternoon All

Having discussed this with Andy Symons I can confirm the e mail regarding 'All DUES from BMFA' is a scam and should be disregarded and deleted. Steps have been taken with BMFA IT provider to ensure the integrity of the system.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation and BMFA members are reassured. Like many I was surprised when the e mail dropped into my in box knowing that I have paid my fees and received confirmation!

Kind regards

Paul Hoey

BMFA Hon Sec

5 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

The format of the sender looks legit, so I wonder if the BMFA mail system has been hacked...

Screenshot 2023-01-11 124323.png

Thats no indication as to who it was actually from Andy, SMTP doesnt have any mechanism to check that the apparent sender ('from' in the message header) and the actual sender ('mailfrom' in the envelope) are the same or even valid mail addresses.  Changing the message header is trivial  🙂

• Like 2

Had email today saying " Important notice from BMFA We have been unable to successfully register/renew your CAA registration "  Then wanting a lot of personal details. 

As I already have renewed CAA directly with them Scam? 

Looks official, has Andy Symons name on it.

2 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Had email today saying " Important notice from BMFA We have been unable to successfully register/renew your CAA registration "  Then wanting a lot of personal details. 

As I already have renewed CAA directly with them Scam? 

Looks official, has Andy Symons name on it.

It is official

Our club secretary informed me (chairman) today that he hadn't been able to renew the club members CAA but had done their BMFA. - So is there an issue renewing club members CAA through the BMA?

@andysymons-BMFA  "Its official" BMFA can't renew members CAA?

10 hours ago, Ace said:

Our club secretary informed me (chairman) today that he hadn't been able to renew the club members CAA but had done their BMFA. - So is there an issue renewing club members CAA through the BMA?

It depends when he renewed them last year. Check the BMFA Membership Portal which shows when the renewal window opens. This is mine this morning (my registration expires 26 Feb):

image.thumb.png.2115860ec7296710d231d81cc5d46297.png

Edited by John Lee

10 hours ago, Ace said:

At renewal time for 2022 the BMFA opened-up the window for CAA renewals so that renewal payments could be made more than 28 days before the CAA renewal became due. This was to make allowance for the CAA renewals being due late February due to the time taken to get the system working when it started.

The only issue is that unlike last year, this time, for 2023, the BMFA haven’t provided the opportunity to make the CAA renewal payment earlier than 28 days before its due date, so the bulk renewal that club secretaries use to renew a number of memberships at once couldn’t be used to renew CAA registrations at the same time as BMFA memberships.

The CAA renewals could be made at the same time, but not using the bulk renewal facility. The CAA option was on each member’s individual membership renewal page.

As most of those members’ CAA renewals will become due around 20th February, the bulk renewal for those should be available towards the end of this month (January).

I was just writing this as John’s reply popped up too.

Brian.

11 hours ago, Ace said:

The BMFA can only renew  CAA registration once within 28 days of it's expiry. 

2 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Andy - for clarity, does this mean that there will be a bulk renewal in a few weeks for those members who paid through their clubs this year?

When any individuals members CAA registration gets to within 28 days of its expiry it will show in the bulk renew list as available to renew.