First taste of the sky

toto

Hi Ron,

My instructor and I were under the same opinion but we've had to spend a significant bit of time playing around with both master and slave units to get them both to sync. 

I think I need to look a bit further into it as it shouldnt be so difficult. Unfortunately, I seem to be well in the minority of Spektrum users in my club.

One of the things that I liked about it and ultimately what me settle on the Spektrum wa their " smart " system it seemed very well integrated and thought out. I'm not decrying the Spektrum system as I suspect it's down to misunderstanding by the operators and not being set up correctly rather than a system issue. I dare say it will be overcome and things will fall into place.

More homework and reading to do I think.

Cheers

Toto

Advert

23 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Surely you don't need the Beaver setup on the trainee TX as all the model specific configuration is done on the trainer TX, all the trainee one does is transmit stick inputs to the trainer TX? Mind you I've never flown Spekky gear so what do I know!

I think Spektrum give you both options, from what I recall you specify this on the master tx when you are setting up the buddy function.

Boundary fences, trees, bushes, power lines, the only single concrete post in the whole field (don't ask).......if you've got 'em, you'll hit 'em. Fact of the model flying life, I'm afraid. Presumably, your battery gave its last breath of charge  just on finals and hence sunk into said fence rather than just skipping over it? Been very windy again today so battery usage does tend to go up to counter things- might have caught you out timing wise?

Well done though.

• Like 1

No need for the model to be loaded onto the slave.

The slave needs to be in an empty model slot then turned off.

The master is then bound to the model then under the wireless trainer menu on the master bind is selected.

Then power up the slave, put it into bind mode and it will bind with the master.

• Like 1

Thank all.

PDB, that's new to me and I shall try it. Sounds straight forward.

Many thanks. ..... just have to repair it now. :classic_biggrin:

Cuban8, I will take a reading of the battery and see what was left in it. I'm hoping it not run down completely or that could spell the end of the battery.

Cheers

Toto

51 minutes ago, toto said:

Many thanks Kind Sir.

Believe it or not, I have had a good read at the manual but there is a lot of it and my brain takes time to compute it all. I'm sure I'll get there.

Toto

I've said this before, and I may be in a minority, but I think you are making things very complicated for a learner. I would suggest you put the complex planes aside and just learn to fly on a simple plane like this:

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I didn't think the Beaver was considered a complex plane to be honest. I thought it would be in a more basic category. I watched the video and enjoyed it thoroughly but I dont see the pilot of the powered glider being a novice somehow. 

Again, excuse my ignorance and lack of experience but what makes you think that me learning to fly in that would be any easier. I'm genuinely interested to know. I actually gave a max thrust aggressor 1.8m pkane that looks pretty similar to that in your video. The main difference being I noted a considerable curve to the wing on the video. Mines is a bit flatter.

Just as a last minute thought ...... would you be allowed to sit an a test or bronze test with one of these ???????

I'm open to anything that fosters progress.

Many thanks for your input , it is genuinely very much appreciated.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 2

The Spektrum trainer system allows 2 different methods for configuring the slave transmitter.

In "Programmable Instructor" mode, both transmitters need to be fully configured for the model. In "Pilot Link Instructor" mode, the master transmitter is configured for the model and the slave transmitter must be configured with no settings, servo travel set to 100% and no servo reversing. Both of these options are available to be chosen when initially setting up the master transmitter for training.

I've found the latter to be better in practice and simply selected a blank, unused model memory in the slave transmitter, bound it to the master as described in the manual and it all just worked. I also found that it was only the 4 main channels that were transferred to the slave with the master maintaining control of any other channels/settings such as flaps and the throttle "safe" for the motor.

Keep at it, Toto, it will all come together soon.

• Like 2

@toto It seems you're having a lot of hard work and not much fun so far. Yeah, I'm sure the Radian pilot was experienced, but it is the sort of plane one could enjoy learning to fly on- no worries about rates, 'dialling-in', swapping memory cards etc, as a learner you need to learn how the plane reacts when you put in control inputs, and you need to learn orientation so it becomes instinctive. I think that you could soon learn to fly circuits and keep the plane level, and practise landing approaches and then powering up to go round again with a powered glider. All the setting-up involved with the Beaver sounds like full-size aviation.

And talking about full size aviation, I don't think your instructor should have hit the boundary fence. He knows the field, even if he isn't familiar with the plane. If the Lipo had suddenly become flat, he should have realised that and come in more steeply. What if he was a full-size instructor giving you lessons?

It may be we have different approaches to the hobby- I've read your questions about programming ESCs for twin engines, etc, and it may be you like all that technical stuff. I'm too much the opposite, all I want is a power source to be able to fly a plane, and the minimum I need to know to keep it maintained.

4 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

The Beaver is not a complex 'plane and makes a good trainer so stick with it and don't deviate from your and your instructor's plan!

Do you think so? To my mind, it is expensive, has some sort of stabilization built in, is a scale or semi-scale model, and these factors alone make me think it not ideal as a first plane.  A first trainer is likely to get knocked about a bit, I think.

19 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

To my mind, it is expensive

It may not be to Toto

19 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

has some sort of stabilization built in

Switchable

20 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

is a scale or semi-scale model

It's a high wing with low wing loading, has excellent slow flying capabilities and doesn't bite like a Cub. Just because it's a scale (ish) model doesn't mean it isn't a good trainer.

21 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

A first trainer is likely to get knocked about a bit

True but Toto has accepted that.

• Like 2

Agree 100% with what Ron and John say above.

Beyond that he is receiving training from one of his clubs instructors so leave the model and equipment selection to the trainer, too many back seat pilots could seriously upset the poor guy who is after all doing it all voluntarily, if the plane was unsuitable then clearly the instructor would have said so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im going on holiday in two weeks ..... oh boy how I've waited for that .... more life than modelling woes. Like everyone else .... domestic trials take there toll.

I have one more weekend opportunity next week to fly before I go and will make the best of it. On one side ..... I have a foamie to repair which whilst nobody really wants to damage their kit, I see an opportunity to get some experience to learn how to do repairs. On the other side .... I need to try and clear my head and ask myself if I'm approaching this from the right direction.

I know the general consensus is that the beginner starts with the most basic model available and slowly works through the ranks etc. All I have tried to do is maybe not choose the usual trainer, but a model that has similar characteristics ..... ie high wing, reasonable wingspan ( for my sight to cope with ). And is not too frisky.

The transmitter is " mainstream " with, in my opinion, phenomenal opportunity to use as a system, given all available electronic components from the manufacturer " talk to each other " and more importantly .... all provide feedback back to their transmitter.  The current issue with that is not ( in my mind ) the system but the lack of anybody in my club who use, understand or know how to set it up. Not a criticism. 

I've imposed this on them.... maybe stupidly. I have bought two transmitters ... the NX6 and nx8 thinking that if I supply both it's just a case of linking them up, and as all transmitters work the same ( apart from decisions like mode 1 or mode 2 between continents ) then all things are equal.

I have purchased a few models, many are, ahead of my time and experience but I'm happy to wait however long it takes before flying them. As far as i am aware, there is no rule to say I cant read up on them, ask questions on the build and maybe even build one or two in my non flying time in order to feed my enthusiasm and desire to keep myself involved in the hobby whilst I await and exercise patience over the delays that I cant control. 

I dont want to shake too many feathers but I'm just dying to get involved. As it is, I am reluctant to mention that I've just bought this or that and start to gain an understanding of it in fear of being shot out of the water because I'm....... looking too far ahead .... wasting my money ..... breaking with convention ..... or whatever.

Let me know .... I may have it all wrong..... or maybe I'm just different. Not fussy either way.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

As long as you are learning to fly, with people who know what they are doing and with the appropriate model, everything else is just stuff. I jumped in both feet spent a lot bought stuff which i never flew and eventually sold on, at a loss, but hey ho it is my time and money. I enjoy my flying and have a couple of regular in use models. I have stuff to maidan, stuff to repair stuff to wish for, its called life, this hobby just happens to be a part of mine. Like all on here despite its hiccups I enjoy, when that stops so will I.

Toto I trust you will do the same 

• Like 4

@Philip Lewis @Ron Gray @Zflyer@toto

You all make good points. It is not my intention to be a back seat driver and I certainly don't want to diminish toto's enthusiasm. I especially appreciate your input, Ron, as you have a great deal of experience. I'm just a beginner, so every bit of advice is valuable to me. Because I am a beginner, I feel as if I am in a similar boat to toto, when so many things are confusing.

I freely admit I am overly concerned about people spending money that they may not need to- but I take the point that not everyone's circumstances are the same, and what seems to be an extravagance to me might not be to someone else. And everyone has differing ideas about the hobby- some people like building best, some people like flying best, some people like to indulge in expensive radios and tinkering with them, others just want a basic set that allows them to fly.

For me, if I lived my ideal life, I'd be near a slope site, have a basic two-channel plane, and dispense with power all together, like John Woodfield:

Edited by paul devereux

@toto From what I've seen you had a small issue with binding the receivers which with some practice you should be able to crack.

In my first few months last year I was finding learning to fly RC models a steep learning curve and did question on numerous occasions if I had done the right thing and would I ever be able to fly on my own.

I got there eventually, all I can advise is stick at it as the rewards are well worth it.

I am a slow learner my late 50's, if I can do it anyone can and it has been the most fulfilling thing I have done in a very long time.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PDB said:

No need for the model to be loaded onto the slave.

The slave needs to be in an empty model slot then turned off.

The master is then bound to the model then under the wireless trainer menu on the master bind is selected.

Then power up the slave, put it into bind mode and it will bind with the master.

Yep, but page 20 of the manual allows you to set up the master tx to either Programable Instructor or Pilot Link, if using the former then the model settings need to be installed on the student tx, the later needs no settings on the student tx.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Paul,

I didn't think the Beaver was considered a complex plane to be honest. I thought it would be in a more basic category. I watched the video and enjoyed it thoroughly but I dont see the pilot of the powered glider being a novice somehow. 

Again, excuse my ignorance and lack of experience but what makes you think that me learning to fly in that would be any easier. I'm genuinely interested to know. I actually gave a max thrust aggressor 1.8m pkane that looks pretty similar to that in your video. The main difference being I noted a considerable curve to the wing on the video. Mines is a bit flatter.

Just as a last minute thought ...... would you be allowed to sit an a test or bronze test with one of these ???????

I'm open to anything that fosters progress.

Many thanks for your input , it is genuinely very much appreciated.

Toto

Very good last point there Toto.

Electric soarers are all well and good, but you wouldn't be able to take a "standard A FW test" with one of those, since the model must be capable of taking off from the ground. The model must also weigh more than 1Kg. I'm not sure about the SAA Bronze,but, given the type of models that you have, there would be no advantage starting off your learning curve with a hand launched electric glider, since you are going to want to learn to take off and land sooner, rather than later.

When the time comes you'll easily be able to fly your Max Thrust Aggressor and if you have any local slopes, it makes a superb slope soaring glider as an extra part of the hobby.

Hard luck with hitting the fence - as Cuban 8 says, if there is anything remotely resembling an obstruction in your field someone is almost guaranteed to hit it, no matter where it is situated. Hope that the repair is a minor one and that your Beaver is ready to take to the air once you are back from your holidays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toto said:

Im going on holiday in two weeks .....

Enjoy!

8 hours ago, toto said:

I have a foamie to repair which whilst nobody really wants to damage their kit, I see an opportunity to get some experience to learn how to do repairs.

Another part of the learning curve - everyone has to make repairs at some point.  The ratio of good flights : flights leading to repairs will improve.

8 hours ago, toto said:

I need to try and clear my head and ask myself if I'm approaching this from the right direction.

There is no 'right direction' - whatever works for you.  We can give you some benefit of our greater experience, but only you know what's right for you - don't let any of us put you off.

8 hours ago, toto said:

I know the general consensus is that the beginner starts with the most basic model available and slowly works through the ranks etc. All I have tried to do is maybe not choose the usual trainer, but a model that has similar characteristics ..... ie high wing, reasonable wingspan ( for my sight to cope with ). And is not too frisky.

Nothing wrong with the Beaver, it's not like it's a heavy, fast warbird with retracts, flaps etc. etc.. in my experience, they fly nicely, sedately and are quite stable.  Just approach it like any other trainer - assume it's disposable as it's going to get bent!

8 hours ago, toto said:

The transmitter is " mainstream " with, in my opinion, phenomenal opportunity to use as a system, given all available electronic components from the manufacturer " talk to each other " and more importantly .... all provide feedback back to their transmitter.  The current issue with that is not ( in my mind ) the system but the lack of anybody in my club who use, understand or know how to set it up. Not a criticism. 

Very mainstream - significantly in the majority at my club. But, similarly, very few use more than the basic functions. (That's probably true for all systems - I've had OpenTX/EdgeTX  for a few years no and am only scratching the surface of what it can do...).  In my view, telemetry is useful, but secondary - the most important thing is that when you move the two sticks, the aeroplane does what you want it to do.

8 hours ago, toto said:

I've imposed this on them.... maybe stupidly. I have bought two transmitters ... the NX6 and nx8 thinking that if I supply both it's just a case of linking them up, and as all transmitters work the same ( apart from decisions like mode 1 or mode 2 between continents ) then all things are equal.

Not a bad idea.  Once you're past the solo stage, you may still want the occasional session on the buddy box (e.g. first low-winger), and it's good to have a spare.

8 hours ago, toto said:

I have purchased a few models, many are, ahead of my time and experience but I'm happy to wait however long it takes before flying them. As far as i am aware, there is no rule to say I cant read up on them, ask questions on the build and maybe even build one or two in my non flying time in order to feed my enthusiasm and desire to keep myself involved in the hobby whilst I await and exercise patience over the delays that I cant control. 

Nope. no rules at all!  Again, it's what works for you.

Advice is only given to stop people wasting money (when you're competent with your first model, you may decide to go in a different aviation direction and find they're unsuitable, or you may lose interest), and to try and minimise the temptation to leap from something sedate to something that'll be a real handful.

8 hours ago, toto said:

I dont want to shake too many feathers but I'm just dying to get involved. As it is, I am reluctant to mention that I've just bought this or that and start to gain an understanding of it in fear of being shot out of the water because I'm....... looking too far ahead .... wasting my money ..... breaking with convention ..... or whatever.

On a public forum, even when all members have a common interest, you'll find people that take offence, like to decry, or even mick.  Sadly, it's a fact of life.  You'll soon learn who to listen to/believe, and whose comments can just wash over you. As said previously, keep doing what's right for you - if that's looking ahead, asking questions, lr wanting to understand things in whatever level of detail - go ahead!  We're all different.

8 hours ago, toto said:

Let me know .... I may have it all wrong..... or maybe I'm just different. Not fussy either way.

No, you haven't "...got it wrong..." 

GG

• Like 5