Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

Advert

No piccies I'm afraid, but the second of a pair of very good flying days this week, quite windy, but sunny, warm and literally not a cloud in the sky, which actually made for some tricky orientation issues and lighting.

As it happens I also broke out a couple of gliders, firstly a rare flat field outing for the Easyglider, which quickly latched onto a booming clear air thermal and was up high in no time. In the end I was forced to descend, because I was struggling to see the model. Later on gave my swapmeet bargain Graupner Chilli a maiden flight, which was a bit underwhelming - I was expecting a warmliner but it was the coldest thing on show, my EFlite P-39 was much quicker. I had planned to give a maiden flight to my 1.5m EFlite Mustang, but my bottle went last night, whilst preparing the model and I embarked on a few training flights with my PT-19 instead. They were very enjoyable, just gentle circuits and figure 8s in the deep blue bowl of a huge open sky.

Also noticed, on Wednesday, that our batteries were coming down very warm and lower v/cell than usual - something to watch out for in this heat, Battery cooling tube was in use today.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Yes, the cycle stand has other uses 🙂

The thought of humping my cast iron cycle work stand up to the field precludes its use as a parasol support.  There's one like mine on display at Shuttleworth in the car/motorcycle/pedal cycle area - I reckon it's over 100 years old.  Its weight helps when I work on the tandem.

Been an excellent couple of days flying and I'm gradually getting my confidence back but as the light faded last evening I had a few orientation issues and decided to call it a (great) day.  Perhaps my recent cataract diagnosis was encouraging a self-fulfilling feeling.

Busier when I left...Duncan arrived with his big Ultrastick and Corsair; Ian arrived with his Acrowot, Pup and kids; Pete arrived with his Discovery.

I got home to find nothing at all amiss - dogs must have been asleep!

If the weather plays ball, I'll try longer on Monday...

6 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Snuck out for anhour - hopefully the puppy won't totally destroy the house.

Not many here yet.... new blood neimg buddy boxed. Umsuvvessfully as it just landed im a tree!

Typed on my phone whilst walking along to collect a pole to 'fish' for a plane.... that's my excuse for the rubbish spelling!

Windy again this morning, but it was an easterly, which ought to line up okay with the runway so I chucked a couple of windy day flyers in the car and nipped to the field. Not a massive turnout, but the wind was much less than at home - probably 7-8mph. New club member Bob was flying his new EFlite F-15, which was going really well . He hasn't been flying that long- I believe it's his third model after his Multiplex Easystar and he's a bit of a wizard with the Spektrum technology, making best use of the aids available to fly the fast jets that he enjoys.

bobmf15june18thpg.thumb.jpg.01f67278244370790c0decf00e1a0a0a.jpg

I flew my Wot 4 Foam=E and my PZ FW190, which was a bit quicker than I remember on the 4s1p 2200mah packs, so I dropped down to 3s1p 2200mah for less of a white knuckle ride - yes, I know that you can use the throttle stick, but she's a warbird! . She's getting a wee bit of hangar rash and could do with a spruce up, so I might bring my spare FW190 into service and put the old Butcher Bird in for a repaint and new colour scheme- probably Rudi Linz's Blau 4 from JG5 at Herldla. I'm glad I made the trip though, had some good flights and good blether with the boys in lovely warm sunshine, The weather is set to change with heavy rain forecast tomorrow.

Afternoon spent sanding balsa in the garden, which meant I didn't have to wear a mask as I got the Ken Willard Schoolboy wings all nice and smooth, before rigging them up with the appropriate dihedral, propped up on Lego blocks at the right angle, gluing the spars and dihedral braces and leaving it overnight for the Speed Bond to set nicely.

• Like 4

Today was the first day for some weeks for me to get out and fly due to working in school during May & June and family stuff. Wind was around 8-10mph and gusting a bit more but Hey! beggars can't choosers best select horses for courses. That's my trusty 50cc (electric) Sbach 342 which will handle just about anything thrown at it. A great Goldwing plane I must say. Cut the flight duration slightly due to use of more than usual throttle usage in windy conditions. 51/2 minutes it is then.

IMG_1317.thumb.JPG.5a5a3352645d3ada6b93503e15de71fa.JPG

Wind sock shows breeze straight down the strip so best get on with it.

IMG_1316.thumb.JPG.6328d38902782519bd9c4b3c4c469417.JPG😀

Managed four flights and I fiendishly enjoyed the tricky wind and a great fun morning was had.  Stall turns were challenging but pretty much everything else accomplish with ease. 😀

• Like 3

VERY bad day yesterday... weather was great but.....

Knocked the wheels of my Ruckus again - need a serious rethink

Trashed the front end of my Double Trouble - pilot error!

Muffler loose on P47, plus error in Tx setup, stopped it flying.

None fixed yet - I am still sulking.

• Haha 1

Just two of us on the strip today. We were both up when a powerful thermal/twister passed through chucking our aircraft around and drawing them away. I was lower and escaped pretty quickly but my clubmate was higher and his plane was some distance away before he broke free and was able to return.

It was what comstitues a very busy day at the patch today.......

20230622_113650.thumb.jpg.3b8d928056bd4b3734fad7f50f23c49f.jpg

I only took one plane (my usually ultra-reliable Valiant).... whose on-board-glow decided not to play.  Spent a good 20 mins finding and fixing the simplest of issues, and 2 hours drinking Ribena (other less tasty cordials are available), chatting, and watching others fly their models. Might sneak out again early evening...

• Like 3