Ripmax in Administration.

John Wagg

20 minutes ago, KenC said:

I have not done a realistic item for item test, but if asked for a guess I would say shopping at Aldi has gone up 60 to 80% at least.... and if that is the inexpensive shop !  Strange though when you think the minimum wage  is around £20,000 a year  and  many pensioners on British Old Age Pension  get around £9600  less than half a living wage.  

Good point Ken.  

Advert

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I would really like to know where an inflation figure of around 7% comes from. For instance a 90p bag of frozen chips from Lidl is now £2.09, a bottle of Coke is a ridiculous £2.50, car and house insurance has gone up by at least 50%, never mind fuel, and being on a small pension I am very glad that I no longer have a mortgage. Just what exactly is it based on? Those original figures are only from a year ago.

The Office of National Statistics do the sums:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/june2023

12 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I would really like to know where an inflation figure of around 7% comes from. For instance a 90p bag of frozen chips from Lidl is now £2.09, a bottle of Coke is a ridiculous £2.50, car and house insurance has gone up by at least 50%, never mind fuel, and being on a small pension I am very glad that I no longer have a mortgage. Just what exactly is it based on? Those original figures are only from a year ago.

11 hours ago, KenC said:

I have not done a realistic item for item test, but if asked for a guess I would say shopping at Aldi has gone up 60 to 80% at least.... and if that is the inexpensive shop !  Strange though when you think the minimum wage  is around £20,000 a year  and  many pensioners on British Old Age Pension  get around £9600  less than half a living wage.  

The ONS lay it out on a monthly basis, it’s all there to mull over…

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/latest

As you say, food and eating out/hotels have been heavily affected, and energy too of course, though the latter (along with petrol/diesel) are now coming down. It’s well documented that those on a lower income are disproportionately affected as a result, because they spend a higher % on food and energy, hence their real world inflation rate has probably been nearer to 15% in recent times 

On 21/07/2023 at 13:13, Nigel R said:

Nobody rules the world.

Just lots of headless chickens running around.

A few chickens still have heads, but they're outnumbered.

Pretty soon the ones still with heads come to realise there is nowhere to run to anymore.........

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2023 at 15:27, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

There is no way out, when the Chinese can send me 3mm and 4mm die sets from the other side of the world for 6€ post included and any French mail order shop charges me a minimum of 7.50€ for an envelope what do you expect, not forgetting what the Chinese wage is and pension,,,

Amen to that Brother!   The Chinese wage situation is changing though and they now want their pound of flesh.

I was once told that when you go attend the mandatory training session before opening an enterprise here in France, you first go out and buy a thicker mattress because the system expects you to fiddle your taxes so they 'adjust' the levels to compensate.....

• Haha 1

Yea, like the UKs red hot tax system. Acquaintance of mine has a son, runs a patio laying business. He manages to put his light aircraft on the books, corporate hospitality, and training to become a full time pilot. Dad gloats. Taxes like death come to all, unless you follow the observation of the 19th-century French philosopher Frédéric Bastiat who concluded that “the state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”

14 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

They use a basket of goods to create an average inflation.

The contents of the basket gets adjusted as times changes but there have been some notable examples - when Champagne was in the basket, prices of Champagne had reduced significantly which brought inflation down.  Another example was that flat screen TVs were in the basket for so.e time and as their reducing prices helped to keep inflation down.

Ignoring the headline figures and looking at my weekly spend I'd sat that supermarket costs have increased by around 20% for me.  But it might be more because I have adjusted how I shop slightly, where I think that brands are taking the piss,, like Lurpak and Twinings I have switched to supermarket brands.

• Like 1

Following on from the shopping basket that determines inflation, call me cynical but I do feel it is manipulated.

For example flat screen TVs were included when they were cutting edge technology that few could afford - but like all new technology the price is only going to go one way, down, which drags inflation down with it.

For 2023 they have introduced e-bikes because we all buy those don't we.  Again I'd suggest that this is a product that will reduce in price and therefore curb inflation.

I also think it is very manipulative including items like TVs and e-bikes that you only buy once.  For mist people whether the cost of a TV is rising or falling is irrelevant because they already have one and won't be looking to buy a replacement anytime soon.

Edited by Nigel Heather
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

The "Food Inflation" figure is a better judge of what you see in the shops and that is at 17.4%. Over time everything else will creep towards the food figure as it it a significant part of most people's expenditure.  

Agreed, it the things that people have to buy on a regular basis that determines a more realistic inflation.

If the price of a model plane increase form £150 to £250 then I don't consider that an inflation problem for me because I can choose not to buy it.  But it is a big problem for businesses because they have had to increase the prices for legitimate reasons but as a result face reduced sales potentionally leading to bankruptcy.

By comparing when electricity doubles in price it impacts how I feel inflation because although I might reduce my consumption slightly I have no choice but to pay up.

• Like 1

I suspect Ripmax Uk is part of a group/subsidiary of a holding company. You can look it up using companies house records if you really want to know. In addition uou can examine the last received finance records.

6 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

Agreed, it the things that people have to buy on a regular basis that determines a more realistic inflation.

6 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

By comparing when electricity doubles in price it impacts how I feel inflation because although I might reduce my consumption slightly I have no choice but to pay up.

All very true.

The 'system' is also set up to create inflation. Take, for example, telecoms (mobile costs, broadband etc). Every year in March the companies are allowed to increase their prices by upto the previous September's rate of inflation plus 3.9% (this year's figure). That is deliberately using a published inflation figure to allow companies to increase inflation further. Of course, they all increase their prices by that maximum amount, irrespective of any need to do that.

It's a shame that the modulators have deemed it necessary to start deleting posts; from the couple of lines of each of the deleted posts that I can see in my 'notification' e-mails they seemed harmless enough.

Brian.

An update from Ripmax via their website this morning....

Ripmax Trading Update
Recently there have been changes within the Ripmax company group and Amerang Limited - one of our highly respected group companies - has taken over the trade of Ripmax. As far as Ripmax customers and suppliers are concerned, it is very much 'business as usual' and all contacts and relationships remain exactly the same. It is our plan to ensure that our well-known range of radio control models and accessories continues to be available to modellers in the UK and across Europe. 

Many thanks for your continued support. 

Nick Moss, CEO. 

• Like 13