What's your approach to cutting balsa and ply for kit builds

toto

What's your approach to cutting balsa and ply for accurate fitting when building kits from sheet and stick materials?

Even when thinking clever and allowing for blade thicknesses etc, it can still be that you end up with a less than perfect fit.

I have a couple of kit pack builds for later and decided the best approach is to cut slightly oversize and then sand back to a comfort fit.

I've just added a proxxon sander to my armoury. I have a few of their tools and find them very good at what they do.

Toto

Advert

Good tools make it easier, sharp blade in your scalpel is a must, some parts can be cut spot on without sanding others not so easy, belt/disc sander and good selection of Permagrit tools you're good to go.

When you're relatively new to model building you can feel every MM is a big deal, it often isn't. Accuracy improves as you build more, same with your flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

What's your approach to cutting balsa and ply for accurate fitting when building kits from sheet and stick materials?

Low tech, keep it simple: knife, steel rule, sanding block.

Transferring shapes to wood, accurate cuts, accurate sanding, all learned skills. As john says you get better the more you build.

1 hour ago, toto said:

Even when thinking clever and allowing for blade thicknesses etc, it can still be that you end up with a less than perfect fit.

You are way overthinking this.

• Like 3

All good advice I'm sure. I'm an advocate of good tools and where possible, the right tool for the job. Sharp blades .... goes without saying it's interesting though that plans can lose their scale as they transition from electronic to hard copy etc but on most of these models, maybe a mm or so is not the end of the world. A bit of build to suit I'd imagine.

Toto

For transferring shapes and dimensions from plan to wood, I used to be an advocate of Pete Nicholson's Model Design philosophy of using a copy of the plan, temporarily glued to the wood with a Pritt stick, which was then cut out accurately with a good sharp scalpel, or sharp Stanley knife for liteply or thin birch play. The technique is also useful for thicker ply, using a scroll saw.

On recent builds I have traced over the parts on the plan, using Frisk film, then put that to the wood, allowing easy transfer of the dimensions to the wood - cut out being by the same good sharp tools. Any small inaccuracy built in - such as by the thickness of a pencil line, really isn't going to be critical.

Swann-Morton 20-series blades in a No 4 handle.  Stanley and/or snap-off blades for the heavy stuff.  Japanese pull-saw (24+ tpi) for liteply and cross-cuts.  Permagrit block for bringing down to size, used on its side with a bench hook.

Always start with the elevators and/or rudder to get your hand and eye in.  By the time you've finished everything else, you'll look at them again and decide you could have done better! 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

For transferring shapes and dimensions from plan to wood, I used to be an advocate of Pete Nicholson's Model Design philosophy of using a copy of the plan, temporarily glued to the wood with a Pritt stick, which was then cut out accurately with a good sharp scalpel, or sharp Stanley knife for liteply or thin birch play. The technique is also useful for thicker ply, using a scroll saw.

On recent builds I have traced over the parts on the plan, using Frisk film, then put that to the wood, allowing easy transfer of the dimensions to the wood - cut out being by the same good sharp tools. Any small inaccuracy built in - such as by the thickness of a pencil line, really isn't going to be critical.

If you're lucky enough to have PDF copy of the drawing (and Peter Miller is very generous in this respect) you can easily print selected parts of the drawing and stick them to the balsa sheet for cutting out.  If it's a parallel wing with similarly shaped and sized ribs then cut out (say) an aluminium or thicker plywood pattern and use it to cut out the ribs individually with a scalpel (I favour 10a blades just about exclusively).

Of course you can buy at relatively modest cost sets of ribs ready cut for many of the more popular designs. iGull on eBay has a huge number available for example.

• Like 1

Geoff - that's what I do for ribs, cut a ply template - derived by sticking a copy of the rib shape from the plan onto the ply, then use that to cut the ribs individually, if there's not too many, or a pair to use the sandwich method. Spar slots are cut using the Permagrit spar slotter.

• Like 1

A very successful rich ex builder mate explained.

“Don, the customer does not actually see the process, they see the result. it looks straight, square, tidy, does not fall down.” Much the same as a tidy build. The frame is rough, but gets more attention at the end. 

My proxxon sander arrived as well. 

P1110552.thumb.JPG.617c7918c420e89419f8b737439355b3.JPG

A great addition to the work bench ...... Once I clear it a bit ........

P1110553.thumb.JPG.bc282c6eaf49142cd49836c4fa7b2b54.JPG

foam cutter which is a great tool as well.

P1110554.thumb.JPG.54164fc40cfd4ee8a5712ab8900361dd.JPG

small bench circular saw.

P1110555.thumb.JPG.69d596c7e458edd0ffe1f1b79c934c4f.JPG

and a pillar drill.

what more could you need 😄

the shed does need tidied in that corner but there is still some remodeling of the shed to be done for model storage space so I will get around to that. The good thing is all these machines are small and portable so can be moved around as needed.

great stuff

toto

Hi Paul,

Not a lot at the moment but I still have things to move out yet so there will be more space created. I have a work bench area that I use when laying out stuff for the ARTF assemblies which will be freed up when I start on the kits and there will be a table I can put up for the winter which will remain up permanently. 

I must admit though, I need to be careful now as the shed is getting pretty full. The new shed will not be until well into next year.

Toto