Direct RID/Remote RID modules.

5 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

... I saw it was a little 4 wheeled, remotely controlled delivery truck trundling along the pavement doing its 'thing' all alone.  So delivery drones do exist .... - I wonder if it looked before leaving the pavement?

I saw a couple of these autonomous delivery things on a recent trip to Cambridge, I watched them navigate for a while and if anything they seemed overly cautious, I imagine they are rammed with avoidance sensors.   BTW have you joined the UKVRRR forum yet Geoff?   🙂

CAA - Remote ID Integration Provider & Service Provider(s)
The RID modules being discussed are part of a massive data processing system. The CAA issued a pre-procurement notice (on gov.uk) last summer advising service providers of a future invitation to bid for Remote ID Integration services. It indicates what will happen to the data after it leaves your model aircraft.

Costs for us? RID module + network charge for sending the data + service charge?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Being a bit of a cynic (what me? really?) I see this as another opportunity for some Government bod to decree that any RID gear has to be purchased from an 'approved' source, which just so happens to be a mate / family member of that same bod.

Sorry Mods if that appears too 'political' but it is also topical given recent revelations.

Thx for that, really appreciate being labelled as a “corrupt” civil servant.

Honestly, anything mentioning RID in this forum just seems to get downright unpleasant. 

Merry xmas

idd

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

The thought of needing to move an RID module from model to model at the field horrifies me.  On my most recent model (Durafly Gladiator) it would easy - just a matter of lifting the cockpit/hatch for access and no tools needed, but on the Sopwith Pup I'm working on right now it means removing the bottom wing which involves removing the rigging, the interplane struts and the aileron linkages; not difficult but hardly convenient.

I know all this is to use the airspace modellers have been using for upwards of a century for commercial use - the fictitious drone deliveries to your back garden (if you have one, that is).  Last week I picked up a kit I'd bought from Newport Pagnell near Milton Keynes. As II was trying to locate the address, I got a glimpse of something crossing the road ahead.  When I got closer, I saw it was a little 4 wheeled, remotely controlled delivery truck trundling along the pavement doing its 'thing' all alone.  So delivery drones do exist but not in the air.  It was about 100 metres ahead of me when it crossed the (quiet) road - I wonder if it looked before leaving the pavement?

Exactly. Maybe it would not be considered a massive problem for those who take a couple of sports models to the field, but I typically take between 5 and 10 models to the field, to cover a number of variables, not least the flying conditions and the range of models that I like to fly. The cost of fitting one such device to all of my models at a hundred quid each would be huge, with over a hundred models geared up and ready to go at any one time, albeit that includes <250g models which may not need RID. Discounting those I'm still looking at making provision for the same sort of number as Ron said earlier, many of which are deliberately kept fully rigged for ease of operation and with the receivers not that easy to get at.

23 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

I saw a couple of these autonomous delivery things on a recent trip to Cambridge, I watched them navigate for a while and if anything they seemed overly cautious, I imagine they are rammed with avoidance sensors.   BTW have you joined the UKVRRR forum yet Geoff?   🙂

Is that the noise that they make when they are rolling along Phil?

1 hour ago, IDD15 said:

Thx for that, really appreciate being labelled as a “corrupt” civil servant.

Were you really given that label? Please read my post again and bear in mind ‘PPE’.

1 hour ago, IDD15 said:

Honestly, anything mentioning RID in this forum just seems to get downright unpleasant. 

You are reading these posts differently to the majority, I would say. A forum, by its very nature, is a platform for discussion and debate and as long as these are not rude or belittling then I would say that it’s OK. The mods for this forum are also absolutely spot on and soon clamp down on posts when they go too far. So downright unpleasant? I don’t think so.

This may be a far too sweeping generalisation, but I suspect (no evidence) that someone with lots of models, will typically fly at a club site which, hopefully will be exempt.

I know this won't apply to soarers in the main, who may get a double whammy as there doesn't seem to be much room in some of their planes.

So, I'd encourage everyone to fill in the survey, thinking of everyone who is part of our hobby, and not just think of your own individual circumstances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phil Green said:

One time in Northampton, I found one of those things stuck going over a high curb, unable to move forwards or backwards. I shoved it back on to the pavement with my foot, upon which, in a distinguished Queen's English accent, it said "Thank you!!" Maybe we'll have drones thanking each other for avoiding collisions. The air will be full of "Thank you" and "Move aside please".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Apparently I'm a retired member (as 'Ex-Murphy Lad).  I'm so ex that I'd simply forgotten all about the site!  I'm in the process of getting re-instated. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Why? There are quite a few people I have spoken to (including some in the CAA / government) who have exactly the same view as Gary, that RID will help get rid of UAS criminal activity yet none of these, when asked, can give a reasonable answer as to how it will.

I’m sorry but saying that it will be breaking the law therefore that is sufficient to stop them just isn’t a sensible argument and shows a complete ignorance of human nature.

Simple really to me Ron, labouring a point over and over gets tedious, moving on allows the discussion to get back to being interesting and offering information to others reading a thread.

• Like 2

I think I am getting there with understanding RID but can anyone suggest what will be the consequences re the following.

I live north west of  Leeds literally 300m within the Leeds Bradford airport FRZ and fly fixed wing at the North Leeds MFC BMFA registered site.. If RID happens what’s the situation re setting up a model at home with RID at some stage built into the Rx? Could someone picking up the signal report me for flying in my garage, or God forbid the TX/RX just not work if Geofencing also happens?

So far a lot of the discussion is about swapping modules at flying site but none of us (that I know of) build or do initial setting up there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

This may be a far too sweeping generalisation, but I suspect (no evidence) that someone with lots of models, will typically fly at a club site which, hopefully will be exempt.

I know this won't apply to soarers in the main, who may get a double whammy as there doesn't seem to be much room in some of their planes.

So, I'd encourage everyone to fill in the survey, thinking of everyone who is part of our hobby, and not just think of your own individual circumstances.

Agree, what happens to us all is what counts, decline in numbers threatens us for the future and the associations we belong to.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Richard Ashworth said:

.... If RID happens what’s the situation re setting up a model at home with RID at some stage built into the Rx? Could someone picking up the signal report me for flying in my garage, or God forbid the TX/RX just not work if Geofencing also happens?

RID transmits flight data. A static test at home would not generate data showing a moving aircraft.

Testing indoors can already present problems if a device you are using needs sight of GPS satellites. Geofencing could inhibit functionality too.

I concur with Steve in the post above. A few years ago I was a member of a club inside the Heathrow FRZ. Already at that time the police were able to capture and decode some drone to controller transmissions. (I was on the field one day when they arrived with specific information about an incident).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Ashworth said:

I think I am getting there with understanding RID but can anyone suggest what will be the consequences re the following.

I live north west of  Leeds literally 300m within the Leeds Bradford airport FRZ and fly fixed wing at the North Leeds MFC BMFA registered site.. If RID happens what’s the situation re setting up a model at home with RID at some stage built into the Rx? Could someone picking up the signal report me for flying in my garage, or God forbid the TX/RX just not work if Geofencing also happens?

So far a lot of the discussion is about swapping modules at flying site but none of us (that I know of) build or do initial setting up there.

No regs cover indoor flying. If I read them right, a fair response involves short jerky motions.

Edited by Don Fry

Sure..... how about RS?

RS.thumb.jpg.f87053ffc46c8f313a8ed57e8e74a0aa.jpg

If that's a bit pricy how about FMG.... ok, they are in Ireland but its pretty close

FMG.jpg.ce0b44ee0dd0506f660b1cde1c6343fe.jpg

I wonder why you are wanting to buy from the UK when they are all made in China and 10 day shipping is available?

Incidentally, it doesn't have to be an L80, There are other gps modules from Quectel that will be a direct plugin replacement (like the L96) providing the module has an on-board antenna. If it doesn't then one can be added but it adds to the build complexity.  There are also other manufacturers of gps modules that will work fine (ATGM336H for example), but they are all made in China too 🙂 

Today I received a ESP32-C3 super mini development board from Aliexpress, this board is ridiculously cheap at around $2.50. It has the advantage  that it does not need an external antenna for the wifi as it has a ceramic antenna on the board. It weighs 1.4 grams and measures 18x24 mm. It can accept 3.7v on its 5v pin to power the board. 

As soon as the gps module I ordered arrives (HT1818Z3G5L @ $4.70) I will wire it up to ensure it all works together. The french RiD firmware loads ok so there shouldn't be any problems.

Well just tried to order the L80 from AliExpress for around £5 but not sure what went wrong as the PayPal payment process did not seem to work which is all a bit annoying. Will try to purchase a ESP32 from ebay just so that I can verify that I can download the French source code.