Warbird Replicas FW190 newbie build (or possibly some wellingtons)

Lipo Man

Very similar maiden to mine, I had a very grey sky and a rather grey model! With you on the spinner balance and mine was C of G at 78mm so all good. Second flight I tried inverted and it did not need much elevator so I think we are quite close there + this helps the leap off the dolly so win win.

Agree with you, BIG THANKS TO RICHARD AND TEAM for all there hard work. Great flying model that is low cost and easy to build...with lots of bling if you want

Just leaves me with all the painting and weathering to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Very similar maiden to mine, I had a very grey sky and a rather grey model! With you on the spinner balance and mine was C of G at 78mm so all good. Second flight I tried inverted and it did not need much elevator so I think we are quite close there + this helps the leap off the dolly so win win.

Agree with you, BIG THANKS TO RICHARD AND TEAM for all there hard work. Great flying model that is low cost and easy to build...with lots of bling if you want

Just leaves me with all the painting and weathering to do.

Yes - same for me re. inverted. Just a touch of down and it was stable. It’s worth repeating I’m a relative newbie - really only being flying for a couple of years and this is much heavier and more intimidating than anything else I’ve flown. The reality was it was an absolute pussy cat - I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who has got the hang of ailerons and wants their first warbird. Two thumbs up!

Could be quite hard to fly scale as it just begs to be given a bit of stick + with no normal warbird bite I think I will set a rates switch for just that!

Oh and the rudder in flight is nice, a bit of yaw but not much roll so need to experiment with that + the stall...what stall!  Will even try spin at some point as I think that will have a nice recovery if its anything like the rest of the flight envelope to date.

Thanks for your kind words chaps . Its not all one way though . I really get a kick out seeing you all experiment with the design and colour schemes .

I met Martin Gay today who designed last years Mass Build Sabre and he said the same thing . Its weird feeling he said , seeing half a dozen models lined up that you know inside out but you didnt make !

I think the 190 build has been everything we hoped for . We all contributed to it , so thanks for all of your comments and observations . Its an ideal tool for us to tempt those on the side of the pool with , so later in the year I will try to keep a small stock of 190s and Tempests . 

On the Tempest front , I am well into the build and will be sharing it shortly . 

Shall I start a new thread or start keep it on this one ?

BTW , The spinners and props can be balanced in situ by simply sticking a piece of gaffer tape on the back of the blade and observing (as in the opticians ) 

"Better or worse ?" 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More progress this evening. Pilot has been 3d printed and I’ve had a go at painting him - nowhere near the level of the experts on here, but better than you’d find in a typical ARF so well worth the hour it took me. I decided he needed a suitably strong German name to go with the screen-idol looks (!) - so I’ve decided to christen him “Richard” after the famous German composer, Richard Strauss. Obviously. It was either that or “mightypeesh”, and that didn’t sound very German…

IMG_5094.jpeg

IMG_5097.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

IMG_5100.jpeg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mightypeesh said:

Blimey, you've been busy!!!

Not at all. The print was about 3 1/2 hrs, and of course I can just leave that going while I’m doing normal “life” stuff. Painting to that crude level really was just an hour. Can’t believe I’m looking at a plastic model of a clay model made by hand by someone I’ve never met!

The FW190 is 1/7.51 scale at 55" span, so pilot could be scaled accordingly.  I find the following table handy when sizing pilots. It sits in my model log spreadsheet.

image.thumb.png.1eb80504e09733eb8df4956466e81253.png

Edited by leccyflyer

38 minutes ago, Martin Gay said:

I'm guessing it is about 1:8 scale. Would that be correct?

Having measured the pilot and my own head I’ve calculated that he’s almost exactly 1/8th scale. I cannot rule out, however, that I may have a freakishly outsized cranium so take that with a pinch of salt… 🤣

2 hours ago, Lipo Man said:

Can’t believe I’m looking at a plastic model of a clay model made by hand by someone I’ve never met!

Its amazing isn't it! 🙂 I love what we can do now.

The scale is about 1/8 - the size I based on measuring my colleagues head and the wingspans of the model and aircraft. The file is a .stl though, so you can scale him up or down a bit in the slicing software that you use if you want to.

Cheers, Simon

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

I must have been short changed, my Warbirds FW190 is 52" span 

I stand corrected -haven't started mine yet - that would make the model pretty much bang on 1/8th scale. (1/7.94 scale). 

My pilot, Hans Free, is about 1/8th scale and could be a tad larger as he really should fill the space a bit more. If you look at any photos or footage of pilots in the FW, there isn't a lot of room in the cockpit!

IMG_8534.thumb.jpeg.f7cc8db7042b0c027e616bd3c94c0442.jpeg

IMG_8535.thumb.jpeg.acb85b45350e77ffb73d9270e6b67d04.jpeg

IMG_8518.thumb.jpeg.5441c71feb53a8c65f7876c95cf74a3f.jpeg

IMG_8537.thumb.jpeg.e91ce2b5d668a3e4427471ee5f3d426d.jpeg

IMG_8536.jpeg

• Like 1

It seems to be a thing with pilots. If you make them the exact correct scale then they often look a bit small in the model. Problem is that with a model structure, which is typically chunkier than the full size then sometimes it's not possible to get scale size shoulders into the cockpit.

Well this evening I’ve got “Richard” safely ensconced in his rightful place, with just the instrument panel still to install (I printed one out already, but I’ve lost it…). Then I can glue on the canopy (epoxy?) and from there it’s just finishing the painting and weathering to do. I added some extra bits (bullet shield?) after seeing them on the Dave B thread, and thinking they really set it off nicely for not much extra effort. 

I’m amazed with how good this thing looks and how well it flies - for a relative newcomer to this stuff it’s a testament to the clever design and the learning I’ve got from this forum and Ron’s YouTube videos that I got this as a result. Very chuffed!  Highly recommended for anyone reading this who is tempted to give it a go. 

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

• Like 7

Just back from a totally successful afternoon at the flying field. Weather was grim (high winds, and gusty at that) but it was directly along the strip so decided to brave it. I’m flying with the recommended throws and 20% expo and it’s sooooo user friendly. I was mainly flying gentle circuits at about half throttle just to get a feel for her, and after my first four minute flight found my battery was still at 72%! (that’s for a 2800mAh 4s, 800kv 4250 size motor and a 12x8 prop). A few bits of finishing off still to do, but very happy with her. Can’t really imagine how a balsa warbird aimed at a new builder could have been made any better! Hat tip to Richard the designer - I think this one has nailed the brief!

IMG_5127.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a delivery of sticker paper for the inkjet at the weekend, so the last few markings are now done to "complete" my FW190 - for now.  Topped off with a coat of matt varnish (aerosol spray) after deciding not to do any more weathering - not sure my attempts were adding anything, and possibly going backwards!

For now I'm going to enjoy flying it until the retracts addendum becomes available - and at that point (assuming I've not crashed it beyond repair...) it'll be back to the build table to fit the undercarriage.

SO pleased with how it looks in the air - did a big half loop today before rolling back out and diving down along the strip and it looked absolutely brilliant. Dead chuffed for a first build.

IMG_5174.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5177.jpeg

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5181.jpeg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Looking great there Lipo Man, you must be delighted with that as a first build.👍😎

I’m really pleased. It actually could have been even better if I’d started it a bit later - I got it mostly done before Ron’s YouTube videos were out…

Need to start mine soon, as I think it will be very tight to finish both the FW190 and the Tempest before the D-Day 80th Anniversary, which is only just over two months away. Need to clear the bench first though and airbrushing roundels is a time consuming exercise.

• Like 1