AliExpress Problem

Help!

Has anyone else found that, like me, in the last couple of weeks, when I flag up AliExpress on Firefox (my default internet connector) , everything is written in Saudi Arabic!  And, not understanding Saudi, I can't change the default to English!

Anyone got a fix?

Edited by Tosh McCaber

You have to be extremely careful with AliExpress that what you are actually ordering is what you are looking at in the picture. Very often the main page for an item will contain lots of small pictures, with vastly different prices for completely different items. At first glance it might look like you are setting up to buy a model at £3.19, but what you have actually selected is a replacement wheel.

As for how cheap things are, sometimes they will have a very low price, but heavily weight the shipping charge, which can be as much or even more than the cost of the item. Bear in mind you'll have to factor in the VAT if applicable and add that to the cost - the final cost shown is what you will pay.

Pleasantly surprised to receive my latest order from them this morning 6 days after placing the order, when the predicted delivery date was 9th April.

• Like 2

Thanks guys- A bit of investigation of the hieroglyphics finally caught the blighter!  I was worried that my translating back would be a one off, but, having clicked on another AliExpress notification in my emails, it's seems permanently back to good old English!  (no Scots translation though!!)

• Like 1

Despite all the little 'add-on' costs that arrive at check-out, an the challenge of actually finding what you want, it's still pretty good, and you will save money if you're patient...... I do feel guilty using them but assuage my guilt by buying online from the UK based shops as well.

• Like 1

The other thing that a couple of clubmates have struggled with is the default message that an item cannot be shipped to your country. That occurs if you are not logged in, as the country default is Afghanistan, which naturally AliExpress isn't all that keen on sending stuff to. If you make sure that you are logged into your account those issues evaporate and you'll also get additional discounts applied.

47 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Despite all the little 'add-on' costs that arrive at check-out, an the challenge of actually finding what you want, it's still pretty good, and you will save money if you're patient...... I do feel guilty using them but assuage my guilt by buying online from the UK based shops as well.

I used to feel guilty then realised that UK based shops were supplying things originating in the same country. 

AliExpress is one of the BIG 4 I will never use the other 3 of the 4 are Bangood, ShoddyKing.. I mean Hobbyking...... & Amazon

I much prefer to spend my money with UK Models shops for new stuff and a couple of friends that buy & sell Good Serviceable Secondhand stuff than buy cheap and sometimes overpriced crap quality rc stuff from any of the 4 I mentioned above

2 minutes ago, GaryW said:

AliExpress is one of the BIG 4 I will never use the other 3 of the 4 are Bangood, ShoddyKing.. I mean Hobbyking...... & Amazon

I much prefer to spend my money with UK Models shops for new stuff and a couple of friends that buy & sell Good Serviceable Secondhand stuff than buy cheap and sometimes overpriced crap quality rc stuff from any of the 4 I mentioned above

I certainly wouldn't call FMS and Powerfun EDF units from AliExpress and the like overpriced crap. Exactly the same as from 'UK' sources, but at 2/3 the price, or even less when they are on offer. Delivery times and shipping costs are not too shabby either, sometimes free. It depends what you buy and how discerning you are I guess. Again, for certain items Hobbyking and Banggood are the mutt's nuts. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Good examples there Futura57. Another would be the excellent wee 1s 400mah lipo batteries for the Volantex 400mm warbirds. You could try to get those from a UK supplier, where they will cost you typically £9-10 each, plus postage or you can get them from Ali Express at 5 for the same price, including a five way charger or a single cell at around £3 each.

5 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

excellent wee 1s 400mah lipo batteries for the Volantex 400mm warbirds. You could try to get those from a UK supplier, where they will cost you typically £9-10 each, plus postage 

If you're paying that much per each lipo in the uk Leccy you need to change to another model shop

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, GaryW said:

If you're paying that much per each lipo in the uk Leccy you need to change to another model shop

That's the point, I'm not paying that inflated price, I'm getting those excellently priced Lipos from AliExpress at the much better cost that I posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaryW said:

I agree with you regarding Amazon. I try to avoid if possible, and prefer eBay for general (non modelling) goods.

However most of my lipos are Turnigy Nanotechs from HobbyKing, and all have proved excellent over the years - and at a fraction of the price of some UK based options.

As for not buying from AliExpress or Banggood, it’s all very well standing by your principles, but you’re doing yourself out of bargains (such as cheaper FMS and Powerfun EDFs as suggested by F57) the rest of us are getting. Still, each to his own.

I have a Tarot gimbal from Banggood which has been very good, and certainly not overpriced crap - far from it in fact. I’ve also bought an number of brushless motors from AE and BG, all of which have been perfectly serviceable.

Edited by EvilC57

43 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

As for not buying from AliExpress or Banggood, it’s all very well standing by your principles, but you’re doing yourself out of bargains (such as cheaper FMS and Powerfun EDFs as suggested by F57)

Seeing as I haven't flown an EDF model for some years now and don't have any plans to in near future, I think I will continue to miss out on such bargains and carry on just plodding round the skies at a much more relaxed pace with my smelly oily noise makers.... and as for missing out on cheap bargains I think I've just about earned the pleasure of a little luxury spending in my retirement...:classic_biggrin: 

Edited by GaryW

My pet gripe with Banggood is they automatically try to add a charge for dealing with non-deliveries!!!   Cheeky sods..... they are responsible for the successful delivery of all items purchased from them without that extra charge.

They are also quite often not the best value against Aliexpress and Temu.

Not sure how much longer buying from China is going to be an option though..........😟☠️

Amazon offer the best Lipo service that I've experienced in many years. With Amazon Prime you get next day delivery, including Sundays, of the very good value Zeee Power lipos, with great quality at a competitive price. These have replaced my previous favourite HRB lipos from Amazon, which got so popular their availability of some sizes was impacted. The customer service is second to none. I check my new lipos the instant they arrive and any problem or inbalance is dealt with right away. Last order one of the packs had a badly unbalanced cell and the refund and reorder was sorted within minutes, with a replacement pair of lipos arriving next day, which meant I got three for the price of two. Highly recommended.

Other retailers can be a bit more awkward if there is a problem, plus there is that mandatory courier charge and my Amazon Prime more than pays for itself every month, even without all the additional benefits. 

• Like 2