Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.

ken anderson.

7 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I did omit several of the above Steve. There’s also a couple of Spectrums (Spectra?) an Atari ST and various PCs and geriatric laptops. No record player or reel to reel though. 

Hoarder? Me?

Ah yes, I forgot about the vintage TEAC reel to reel tape recorder in my office, which I bought 2nd hand on eBay a few years ago to digitise some old recordings my father made of my siblings and I when we were children back in the 1960s and 70s.

1 hour ago, EvilC57 said:

Ah yes, I forgot about the vintage TEAC reel to reel tape recorder in my office, which I bought 2nd hand on eBay a few years ago to digitise some old recordings my father made of my siblings and I when we were children back in the 1960s and 70s.

My Dad did the same but I don't know if Mum kept the tapes and/or his Akai.  I digitised a VHS copy of his old standard 8 films from our childhood a few years ago - quality is somewhat debatable (as is the content!)

Still got a slide rule?  Mine's in the spare room and of course there are no batteries to run out - talking of which, I wonder if my Sinclair Scientific programmable calculator (built from a kit) is tucked away in one of the boxes in the loft?

I never learned to use a slide rule properly. However my Dad who worked on Concorde as a structures designer did, and once said that when electronic calculators first came in he and his colleagues didn’t trust them and used to check their answers with a slide rule.

• Like 1

We had to buy a slide-rule when I started my apprenticeship. Students were laughed at if they had one at school. Schools were backward in those days. My slide-rules are somewhere around here including a circular one.

As for tape recorders, cassette recorders, vinyl players etc., how many do you want? My workshop transistor radio, Philips 600, (not the 600 car radio) is quite new, could be less than 50 years old as is the other on the bench, Sharp BZ-23 , 1965-72. The radio going in the corner, Lenoxx PR-38 here is even newer, possibly only 40 years old. There is a relatively new Milwaukee in the rubbish tin because they can't make reliable items and can't supply circuit diagrams and it can't be serviced. The other old radios don't need servicing as they always work.

I live in a small cottage so most old stuff has gone. I did have one of the very early calculators which used reverse POlish logic as the operating system. VERY basic and cost £11 when a good weeks wage was about £40 for a fitter.

I do still have my old fitters tool box which includes a few Broad Arrow brand tools in it.

On the other hand I have my two desktop computers, the one with ME I still use and my Vista Laptop which I prefer to Windows 10

That was a cheap calculator compared with the original Sinclair Executive which went on sale in 1972 at £79.95 - 3 weeks wages?  A friend doing an electronics degree bought one and it was a thing of awe. 

Slide rules were still very much mainstream then. Computers were the preserve of large companies and universities - I recall my college getting a remote terminal set up to the local polytechnic where we had a demonstration of how it could print out a picture of a scantily clad lady in typed letters on fanfold paper. Things have truly changed…

13 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Makes a change from people having a grouse about the hobby.  Your tern now but remember to play nicely or I might need to get a little ruff...

My favourite is the Famous Grouse which I swallow quite swift, but I am not robin the bank to pay for so don't owl about the terrible puns as I gannet think of any more at the moment here in the house Martin.

• Haha 1