Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

On 06/05/2023 at 11:47, Steve Colman said:

Exprimental Rogallo.

A receiver, motor and ESC from the spares box, some parts of an old HK autogyro and a broken delta kite meet to produce a belt and braces flying machine.

The two parts of the model being held together by zip ties is in essence being lazy but also allows for easy adjustments to be made; which have proved to be necessary.

The model showed some promise at the field this morning with smooth take off's but these were immediately followed by a hard bank to the right along with a high nose up altitude and subsequent stall and crash, the last of which resulted in a bent motor shaft.

I think the kite angle is too steep as I took the easy route and just used the angle obtained by just strapping the tube to the top of the mast. I will reduce it and hope to have another go tomorrow.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

I like that Steve, it's different. Hope it works out

One of the guys in our club is a great advocate of the DB Tyo Major, three or four channel.  The club was in need of a simple Trainer model and so I recently put this one together.  Three channel, with the fus slightly wider than plan to facilitate the battery / esc  and servos.  SO simple to build and very quick.  The wings are foam core with carbon tows laid on the top and lower surface in lieu of spars. Balsa L/e and T/e to be a bit more ding proof and then joined and covered with brown paper / PVA.  A couple of layers of 80 gsm glasscloth as dihedral brace and stop the bands from digging in.  Then all covered in the cheapest film covering that I could find.  The finished wing came in at 300 grammes when a foam veneer wing, also film covered was 550 grammes

Most of the wood came out of the scrap box and the fin and tailpane core are foam board with a balsa frame.  Motor & ESC came from the Retford swopmeet and was £20 all in.  I don't have a full and final cost but less than £50.

As a trainer it is superb. Very stable and easy to fly.  I'm very impressed with it.  I learned with a Super 60 but this one is better.  As a means of giving a complete novice some success on their first outing it has proved very  good.

The only downside is the limited duration on 3 cell 2200 lipos.  I may well build another fus with a 20 glow motor just to improve the duration

Who needs a stabilised RX??  😉

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

Edited by stu knowles
  • Like 8

On 11/05/2023 at 14:30, Peter Miller said:

Well here is my latest model. Toot Sweet the 2nd.

It is actually Yuppy Love enlarged to 29" span and powered by a 3541 1070 motor.  Wing loading is 14 o.z per square ft.

NOTE there will be no plans but you can enlarge Yuppy Love from Outer Zone or if you want a bigger one Sarik have my 36" span plans available. Originally .40 FS powered.

The earlier models were very aerobatic.DSC02003.thumb.JPG.2fa58b24d74b78d7811443a03a80f30f.JPG

DSC02005.thumb.JPG.ca30bc3495e3ae501930d6525d6810a7.JPGDSC02004.thumb.JPG.76c23672e5b7fe7155abd275469cb2be.JPG

Note.The battery goes in vertically just in front of the to wing NO LEAD NEEDED TO GET THE C RIGHT.  Weight 2 lbs 14 ounces, Wing area 464 sq.inches.

I built a Yuppy Love years ago, flew ok, but was a bit of a handful. Think I sold it, but built two sets of wings, and still have one set somewhere, finished. Might build a new fuz.

14 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Great work with the camera there and skill with the pilot.   

My flying shot are usually much sharper.  Put it down to trembling after I had just test flown it.

Graham did a fantastic job flying it as it is decidedly hairy and somewhat overpowered

A old mate of mine needed to clear some of his models as he is still building at 84 and has help in flying the aircraft so they are lasting longer. I got his Flair Magnatilla that had not flown for nearly 20 years as the float flying club lost the use of the dam. I replaced the Irvine 53 with an electric  set up as I fly from a dam close to the house and do not take a recovery boat with. I fly when the conditions are good.

MAGNATILA1.jpg

• Like 19

Here are some planes I have recently built .

The trainer is a high wing version of a Super Tauri enlarged to 140%  .It is powered by a n OS55AX and approx. 74 inch wing span .

The V Tail Valkyrie is an own design of approx. 54 inch wingspan powered by a SC 36 .

The other is a modified Sky 40 , It now has a shortened radial cowl and is now a tail dragger with Tundra tyres .It is powered by an OS46FX

P1040352.JPG

P1040356.JPG

P1040536.JPG

P1040537.JPG

P1040540.JPG

P1040671.JPG

P1040672.JPG

• Like 3

Just maidened my Tony Nijhuis 78" EDF Vulcan. Built during 2020 and finally plucked up the courage. I do not know why I put it off so long, it is very stable and slows right down for landing. Sounds brilliant on full power.

20230528_113911.thumb.jpg.1de3aff3ff932d9ad20d910accd1122e.jpg

20230528_113916.thumb.jpg.c80cdf5f7d06a2ad3aefe89d832592b9.jpg

20230528_113922.thumb.jpg.7c82358b7f5bf7854c1bdea7f5d45dfb.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Lovely looking Vulcan Peter. Did you do a build log here for this one? 

Any flying videos? 

Manish,

Good to hear from you again. There is a build log in the Model Flying forum 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm EDF which was started by the designer of the model Tony Nijhuis and has subsequently been used for build logs from perhaps 5 people, myself included. My build starts at about page 5, but before that is an absolutely stunning model by Greg Minden. Video is now on YouTube, embedded below.

• Like 1

Just tried an experimental build. Modified a model built two years ago (foamboard Cessna 195) with a 3d printed cowl. Looks much better than the earlier foamboard nose I had - definitely sets off the model much better.  A good combination for a quick and easy build that looks quite scale once in the air!

9DC0954D-4B84-4033-87E8-5C742D55D0DF.jpeg

• Like 8