Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

1 hour ago, Barnstormer 52 said:

Just finished the trim.

An Ian Peacock Bootlace (AKA Miss Tangerine) built one in the '70's from a foam wing that Ian sent me and I cut a foam turtle deck myself.

Always thought a slightly bigger one might be nice so enlarged my plan to 125% to give a wingspan of 65".

Weighs in at 5lb 8oz. 

This one is all built up though - no foam.

P1001638.JPG

P1001632.JPG

Nice looking plane. 

• Thanks 1

Advert

1 hour ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Hi Michael,

thought about glassing foamboard myself, but I hated doing it on conventional builds! I'd be really interested to see how that turns out.

Graham.

Hi Graham.

I don't use foam board, so I can't tell you. I build in 6mm Depron and I always glass my models using 50gram cloth and west system epoxy. It makes them ding proof and adds considerable strength for very little weight penalty if done correctlyIMG_20220430_115601_HDR.thumb.jpg.03a2218efd67ff9a966cf0a0c65265de.jpg. Shown are a couple of my glassed models.

P1070436.thumb.JPG.d3f52b0ac232a1e59d4bb016c29feace.JPGIMG_20220429_135227_HDR.thumb.jpg.9fede45e263228a07b1e5c536a0e59d9.jpgIMG_20220429_135305_HDR.thumb.jpg.6bbc278d80655de4d749827a5c7a7f7d.jpg

• Like 15

Latest model off my building bench was delayed by some Chinesium items stuck in the post, but now ready for the maiden flight. It's a 2S motor glider suitable for thermal soaring or slope (I haven't got a slope, so I'll stand at an angle).
290g all up weight.
The Flight Point SHAKA

LINK

Shaka.jpg

Edited by Keith Billinge
Why not
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Very impressive Michael, any more details on the models, any build pictures of them before covering?

Hi Martin.Models are:

Tempest with 52" span flying wt 1400 grams.

Heinkel HE5.   54"span flying wt 1300 grams

Avro 539.        40" span flying wt 1280 grams.

All flying weights are with 2200 3cell and 35.36   900kv motors. All my models are built using 3 views downloaded on a couple of A4s and then scaled up directly onto Depron sheets. I work out construction details as I build.

As to build photos, I do not take any.

17 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Fantastic Michael. As Martin said, some details and tips on glassing these would be great, Maybe another thread?

Graham

Hi Graham.

Only fibreglass tips I can give are to prepare well beforehand, brush a good coat of the resin onto the surface to be covered, and then lay the glass cloth onto the resin. Do not try to stipple through the cloth, as you won't get as good a bond. Remove excess resin by laying the kitchen-roll onto the saturated cloth when it is in position.

Wings I do upper surface first, let that cure, then do underside. Mask off any areas you do not want to cover, and trim cloth to these areas with a sharp scalpel when the resin is just touch dry as you remove the masking tape. As with most things in life, practice makes perfect, or almost perfect!

Practice on lots of scrap first. Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is that a Phoenix Models Bulldog 😮 If so I had one years ago but when I had it It was a little above my skills at the time. It flew awesome but I just struggled a little landing it. Fast forward to now I wish I could get my hands on another one but they stopped making them years ago 😢 

2 hours ago, Glenn Ryan said:

Is that a Phoenix Models Bulldog 😮 If so I had one years ago but when I had it It was a little above my skills at the time. It flew awesome but I just struggled a little landing it. Fast forward to now I wish I could get my hands on another one but they stopped making them years ago 😢 

That's funny, I've tried selling it several times but no interest so thought I may as well finish it and fly

I've joined the masses with a baby warbird!

TopRC FW190, bound to my TX16S - not entirely convinced the stabilisation is set for three modes, but we'll see..... hopefully tomorrow

TopRCFW190.thumb.jpg.d3868ccbfd406db28949779dcba974ee.jpg  

Arrived without battery (2 were promised) but I have half a dozen in differing sizes, so that's not the end of the world.

• Like 5

You're going to love it. 🙂

I'm just waiting for delivery of my second Volantex Spitfire - super low price this week, this one will stay as Al Deere's KL-B and my old one will be airbrushed in a different colour scheme. It looks like they might be offering the Spitfire with a clear canopy, like the latest P-51 and Zero, which would be nice.