Sheep Eating Cars

We rent a patch from the sheep farmer which we surround by an electric fence, this keeps them off very nicely.

We have to park however in the main field which has curious sheep wandering around.

Question: Do you have sheep in your parking area and, if so, do they bother parked vehicles and, if yes, have you found a way to keep them at bay?

By 'bother' I mean they tend to chew on any piece they can get their teeth around, usually around the edges of vehicles, this, understandably can be costly.

Advert

Yep, one of the clubs I'm in that sheep problem applies to. Their little deposits are a horrible smelly mess and sometimes we get them making excursions onto the strip (we use an electricfence too but that doesn't stop some of them when we are using the strip). I'm not aware of the sheep ever consuming car parts.

We used to have sheep our strip, yes, their poo gets on the plane covering and sticks well. Better than two part epoxy if it's allowed to dry. A cleaning session after every flight was the only way to cut the mess.

Several years ago the sheep were moved after the farmer retired. Then the rabbits moved in.....what a mess! Scratch holes everywhere that need regular filling in. The grass ( what little of it remained), then died. So what it left is dead patches and holes everywhere.......oh for some sheep poo to scrape offface 15

I have been pondering whether the title of this tread should be Sheep Eating Cars or Cars Eating Sheep - any English scholars about?

My local club field is situated in the middle of a huge dairy farm, which is great as it affords a large clear area well away from civilization (at the moment), but the field is only protected by an electric fence and we have had a few incursions. The worst was just a few weeks ago when the field was really wet and the damage was substantial. Repairs are underway and the LHS has sold out of tundra tires.

field damage.jpg

I visited a neighbouring club and had my car licked clean by the sheep ! I was going to take it back as they missed a few bits surprise . They didn't chew anything on it thankfully.

When we had sheep in our club  field some years ago the lambs would chew our models if they gotca chance usually when we went to the club shed for a brew . Fortunately we don't have sheep on the field now and they are NOT missed at all . The latest annoyance is a local scumbag who walks his dog and allows it to foul on our patch and pit area !

Posted by Engine Doctor on 18/08/2017 09:35:41:

The latest annoyance is a local scumbag who walks his dog and allows it to foul on our patch and pit area !

Scoop it up and put it on his car seat to take home with him....dog

Edited By cymaz on 18/08/2017 09:41:59

I fly gliders from the slope at Meio Common in S Wales. We have to park our cars at the side of the road then walk up a worn, steep path to the top of the slope, probably about 100m ish.

There are ponies up there grazing, and locals come along with lots of vegetable goodies for them to munch on, which they tip onto the ground on the slope side of the road, so the ponies come down to feed on this.

But ponies are curious beasts and they will often go to have a look at the parked cars, and then try to eat them. I have several friends who have had great chunks taken out of the paint work on doors and bonnets by the ponies biting the cars. So now when they are about I tend to park my car on the opposite side of the cattle grid to keep my car safe.

I have even had young foals try nibbling at something they see protruding from the back pocket of my jeans as I'm busy trying to fly my model or, having to shoo away the ponies as they come too close to the models sat on the ground, again as I'm trying to fly.

Steve

A470soaring

@Steve. Was on the Meio yesterday with Mark and Chris - now I know why they've taken to parking on the far side of the grid! I've not had any car nibblers so far, but they do take a deep and abiding interest in my boot when I'm trying to load/unload. They are completely unfazed and often have to be physically shoved off!

Re Kiwikid's pic of his field - I feel your pain. Until recently, our Club life has been one of mowing and rolling (with our cars!) to get a decent patch, only to see it trampled by cows. The bloody farmer always seems to put them in our field when it's wet! We are now moving to a field with 500 ewes on it...

Edited By Mike T on 18/08/2017 10:48:10

Posted by cymaz on 18/08/2017 09:41:35:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 18/08/2017 09:35:41:

The latest annoyance is a local scumbag who walks his dog and allows it to foul on our patch and pit area !

Scoop it up and put it on his car seat to take home with him....dog

Edited By cymaz on 18/08/2017 09:41:59

If we could catch them they would certainly be taking it home with them believe me probably wearing it . The strange thing is our patch is a long way from houses so they are walking some distance over farm land with no nearby public footpaths .We let the local police dog handlers use the field for training their dogs and he did speak to one dog walker early one morning warning them about dog fouling but it continues. Sorry off topic and rant over.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 18/08/2017 11:45:16

A few years ago the local Land Rover dealer took delivery of a batch of new Rangerovers and put them in his compound. That weekend a goat found his way in to the compound and being a Billy took a strong dislike to all the other billy goats looking back at him from those shiny rangy body's . Over a hundred thousand pounds of dents was the result.

I have a few car-niverous horses on my home field. The youngsters have to test everything for edibility.😞

It can also be a race to get to a landed model before they do. And their top speed is well above mine....

It helped to let them inspect the new object in the field before flight , then they lose interest with luck.

.Our clubs previous flying site had bullocks in it they were kept of the strip by an electric fence (apart from one that occasionally jumped the fence!) the main problem was they would lick the cars and that took the shine off and a couple tried to 'mount' the cars , knocking the wing mirrors off.blush