Build logs - a dying art?

Stevo

Hi All.

This is not intended as a moan, just for analysis really!

I've done a few build logs on here and elsewhere, and I have spoken to a couple of experienced builders not on this site, but have also posted logs elsewhere.

The pattern seems familiar; they seem to get off to good start, with good interest. After a while, the interest seems to wane, and we seem to question ourselves as to whether we should really continue (or even started!!)

I know you all fully appreciate what goes into a build and the time taken not only to build but to try and picture it and log it as well and any comments you have all made on mine and others is appreciated.

Have others found the same?

Advert

As an appreciative 'observer' of other people's builds, I try to give encouragement particularly to those that interest me, but after a while you can run out of platitudes (probably not the right word). We need a 'like' button to show the poster that we are still with him/her and following progress.

I'm trying to get into the habit of recording my own builds, not only for future reference, but with a view to publication, but I would never embark on a 'live' build, so perhaps the way forward is for pre-recorded builds, to be published after completion for 'binge' reading? Takes the pressure off the builder and the reader gets a big juicy build 'hit' all in one go. Just a thought...

I'm currently doing a plastic kit build on the partner forum (Military Modelling) and my motivation for doing so is I've benefited from the content/blogs that other people put online so it's just my way of giving a bit back.

Never been fussed about the level of interest.

Stevo , I do sympathise . The Warbirds Replicas bf110 thread has 50,000 viewings but as you say , the number of people actually commenting has dwindled to about 3 .

The reasons for this may be varied . On this forum people are quite respectful , but on some forums I have seen postings shot to pieces. Secondly , many are happy to just watch and not contribute .

I know this because when I turn up at an event related to modelling , people will walk up and comment on this or that thread , and yet I had no knowledge of their involvement .

I guess that we who post must accept this , but I would say to those silent watchers , that if some chaps are taking the time to photograph and explain what they are doing , please say a few words to keep us going .Otherwise we feel we are throwing coins into a bottomless well .crying

These days I tend to do a build blog with any new design. I have to take the pictures anyway and hopefully I will cover anything that doesn't get included in the final article.

The point is that there is a limit to how much cana fit into the pages of the magazine and any extra can help prospective builders.

Also, in the odd case we can document the failures. For example see my last posting in the Aviat 110 Special blog

**LINK**

My memory isn't what it used to be. If I don't take photographs and explain to myself what I'm doing, I'll have forgotten what I did by the time I've finished building.

In all honesty, I don't mind not getting the regular posts to remind me that people are reading. From my experience, they soon shout up and point me in the right direction when I start drifting into trouble.

I can see what your getting at Steve, you've had 4500 viewings on your Stuka project and 89 replies.

I for one love your builds, and have been silently watching like a favourite tv show, perhaps that is the problem and we should ask more questions?

I just had to go through 7 pages of the latest posts to find your thread, last reply 1/10/17 and I had missed at least the last page of building. It proves that the forum is alive with lots of chat out there.

I'm loving dibleys 110 build and will be glued to the 109 builds too....would love one but I have a BT plan pack in the shed somewhere.

Can we Bookmark these threads? I have never looked to see if that's possible.

Any way Don't give up posting build threads anyone, I'm certainly back in my shed after a long layoff thanks to many blogs on here, and I have to admit other forums too.

cheers dave p

I started my post on the mosquito as a way of documenting somewhere how I've gone about the build and solved any problems I've come across, helps me for future but also hopefully of use for others. I know I've been a secret observer of other blogs and they are a good way of getting tips from other builders that can help with my own building, I do understand the frustration though when not many comment on a blog that you're putting time into.

Thanks all for the positive comments. I know a 'like' button has been requested (or talked about) several times now, but seems to have gone unheeded.

Indeed Dave you can bookmark the thread (look right at the bottom, there's a bookmark link). Just for you sir I will update my Ju87 build shortly...

Also I'm not sure about documenting failures, Peter. I don't have any

Hi All

I really appreciate the build logs on the forums I have recently returned to the hobby after some years.

Back then there was only advice from a small group of clubs members and the builds in the mags.One of the first things I did was to join some forums to get a feel of the hobby now. This meant plenty of reading but little or no comments.

The build blogs are really useful they have helped me a lot, however having come back I sometimes feel apprehensive about posting comments on others hard and high quality work.

I have put a build blog up myself which was not a particularly complex build and I was heartened to receive positive feedback and encouragement.

This has boosted my confidence for future projects. I like to build from plans and kits. Please continue with the build logs as they are really helpful not only for practical advice but also to remind you that your not the only person doing this.

Cheers

Scott

@Stevo - some of the problem may be that a build is being repeated by someone else so would anyone be interested in another blog on the same model. I'm a bit in this camp myself, i've just recently completed a build of a Wots Wot XL and did think about recording what I'd done but as 2 or 3 others had done the same, thought better of it. The only things I have published are where I've done something different to the others. I also have 2 kits to build, both of which have already been splendidly covered by others so, as with the WWXL I intend only to publish the differences.

Personally I really enjoy reading build blogs, as others have said, its great to see the way others (with a lot more experience than me) tackle the various jobs.

What I would also like to see are blogs on repairs that have been made to 'broken' planes, from foam through to stick and tissue as I believe this is an area where individual ingenuity shines through!

@JohnS - never mind club forums our club meetings are just the same and you can often see the tumble weed rolling by during the course of one! With a club membership of over 100 we rarely see more than 10 non committee members show up!

Anyway, all this has jolted me into recording a build that I'm doing at the moment, a bit different as it's for an indoor 'plane as that season is nearly upon us.

Stevo, I follow the build blogs on this forum but generally don't comment unless it is one I am building as well, which isn't often as I am a slow builder. Also I don't see the need to fill up the blog with too many comments unless I feel I am being constructive.

I do find the blogs on this forum interesting and informative and have picked up on quite a few tips especially when i get stuck on a particular problem.

The blogs on other sites annoy me as they tend to ramble off topic (pages and pages of rubbish from the uninformed full of criticism and off topic).

Have been following your Stuka build by the way, keep it up good work.

Hi Stevo, I too follow loads of build blogs, but do not feel the need to comment sometimes as others may well have made the same comment. I did a build blog of my A4 Shyhawk for PSS, as I had deviated slightly from the plan. We are constantly learning; I've learnt so many new skills from the build, and I doubt that I would have attempted it without the help of members on here.

Also, I find most members who are highly skilled, readily pass on their techniques. There can be many solutions to a problem, but every now and then an original solution shows itself.

I also think that by doing a blog it encourages one to complete the task; how many members have unfinished moedls in their woirkshops? We all sometimes need a 'kick up the backside' and it's usually down to a task that we are reluctant to undertake (but sometimes is a lot easier that first thought). It also encourages me to work outside my comfort zone and to push myself further.

I know the help and guidance I've received from doing my little blog certainly helped me get a model into the air.

Keep doing your blogs, as most members enjoy them, and if they are truthful, actually learn something. It may be only one little thing, but it certainly makes the hobby more enjoyable.

Well done all you bloggers !! yes

Posted by Ron Gray on 21/10/2017 20:00:51:

@Stevo - some of the problem may be that a build is being repeated by someone else so would anyone be interested in another blog on the same model. I'm a bit in this camp myself, i've just recently completed a build of a Wots Wot XL and did think about recording what I'd done but as 2 or 3 others had done the same, thought better of it. The only things I have published are where I've done something different to the others. I also have 2 kits to build, both of which have already been splendidly covered by others so, as with the WWXL I intend only to publish the differences.

Personally I really enjoy reading build blogs, as others have said, its great to see the way others (with a lot more experience than me) tackle the various jobs.

What I would also like to see are blogs on repairs that have been made to 'broken' planes, from foam through to stick and tissue as I believe this is an area where individual ingenuity shines through!

@JohnS - never mind club forums our club meetings are just the same and you can often see the tumble weed rolling by during the course of one! With a club membership of over 100 we rarely see more than 10 non committee members show up!

Anyway, all this has jolted me into recording a build that I'm doing at the moment, a bit different as it's for an indoor 'plane as that season is nearly upon us.

I wouldn’t worry Ron, I think keeping a thread going with another build of the same model is adding useful information and a great point of future reference.

As a silent follower all I can say to all those who who post a big thank you.

Two years ago I started screwing foamies together and subsequently learning repair techniques and how best to use gorilla glue. Reading build blogs this year gave me the courage and confidence to build a dark side ARTF Acro Wot in April. Flys well thanks to tips picked up and understanding how much you need to think ahead at all stages of putting planes together.

Oh yes, lastly thanks for the humour!

So you see Steve , a veritable deluge of response!wink

I suppose the thing that is easy to forget is that we all enjoy a hobby that is not as socially acceptable as football

(there'e irony for you ) so if we don't support each other , we will all be talking to the mirror .

in fact I've just had a long chat with mine....