Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Never needed to strip a Laser but have done many others with the same problem. Often, a heat gun is not enough and they require rather more which means a blow torch. I do not possess a puller but a good smack on the prop nut(s) with a hammer usually does the trick as long as the prop driver is hot enough. Constant pressure from a puller is unlikely to be effective.

You either need a beefier puller or a press. I use a press here as its the only chance i have on some of the older engines where the thing has been together for 20 years or whatever. Some of them take an astonishing amount of pressure to get them out. Heating it up wont really do much to help in this instance.

Finally success, I ventured out to get the parts I needed to beef-up my puller and with the front housing back in the puller, with no heat this time, I cranked up the thrust bolt with as much force as I could muster and it finally came off with an explosive crack and the taper collet shot off like a bullet. I have measured up all the bearings and ordered a set of 3. Now to clean up all the gunk which has accumulated and been cooked on. The liner still looks in perfect condition which was a concern until it was apart.

Andy.

If using the puller often as not once you have a bit of tension wound on you can shift the offending part by giving the puller a sharp tap with a hammer.

As for cleaning I always use boiling water and aerial biological washing powder, cleans them up a treat.

Any light surface corrosion or tarnishing I get off with scotchbrite.

Jon,

I have now stripped the entire engine down but in the process of re-bedding in the valves I have discovered that both springs had broken about, 1 1/2 turns off the end of each, can I buy replacements direct from you, and it wouldn't hurt to have some split collets, I haven't lost one yet but there's always the risk when refitting them by hand.

Thanks,

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree mostly, I think there's too much worry about tank position. It stems from old freeflight designs with much less sophisticated engines. On another forum there was some hysteria about getting it spot-on only to read on that it was for an aerobatic design where the fuel is all over the place during manoeuvres and especially when prop hanging. If on the ground, the fuel is leaking due to the tank being high just close the throttle until needed. If it's low an extended prime may be necessary.

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/12/2020 17:46:52

Copied from the Laser Development thread:

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/12/2020 16:26:25:

Gents if we could keep this thread for the development stuff that would be great. We have the technical thread for these sorts of questions.

The short answer is as Martin put it. Dragging fuel up hill is not such a problem, having it force fed is.

If inverted keep the top of the tank in line with the carb. If the tank is too high fuel will drip and the engine will stop when inverted. Its not possible to tune this out, the tank placement needs to be correct for the engine to work. If upright, just dont put the tank higher than the carb and it will be fine.

In the case of the panic its engine upright and modify the top deck a bit so the tank sits in the right line between the struts. Make a fairing, some guys have made it look like a dummy canopy, and you are good to go.

Also, no, you cant use a pump, no, you cant use a cline regulator. These rarely give satisfactory results and are quite expensive. Moving the tank is free and you are fixing he actual problem rather than trying to bandage it.

Posted by Vincent Barlow on 21/12/2020 21:10:11:

I have what seems a silly question that may have been asked previously, can the carburettor and silencer be swapped around. Many Thanks

Physically yes, but the engine will only run backwards. Timing will also be wrong and the valves the wrong size..

So yea, not recommended