crash/emotions

rcaddict

It happens to everyone sooner or later. If its a bad one I collect all the bits and park it in the corner of the shed until the pain subsides. I left a Fokker DR1 over a year and then one sunny day dragged it out and started jigsawing all the bits together. I had it flying again in less than a week and its still flying a few years on.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 27/03/2018 13:17:25:

There's always something new out there and you now have a full set of airborne gear ready and waiting.face 1

As long as the meeting with mother earth was pilot error rather than radio failure of some sort. laugh

Edited By John Rudd on 27/03/2018 14:13:36

If it's an artf, then I don't feel too bad but if it's a model I've spent a lot of time and effort building then I feel gutted and, on one occasion, I gave up on aeromodelling for about a year and built a sailing boat (which is now an almost complete but unpainted hull with no mast, rigging or sails because I built another plane.)

I hate seeing beautiful models crash even when they're not mine. In fact one of the things that puts me off a lot of the Flite Test videos is the casual attitude they have to destroying aeroplanes. I just don't like waste of either time or money.

Geoff

On a couple of occasions I've had electric models crash when the battery fell out! On both occasions the model flew perfectly with no 'help' from me. The first was a small biplane which gently landed better than I usually did when in control. The second was my Multiplex Fun Cub which lost the battery in a bunt and gently floated to earth, inverted and undamaged. On both occasions, even knowing there was no power to the electronics I continued waggling the sticks and I can't think why.

In those cases my emotions were first relief and then shame

Geoff

My electric Wots Wot had a fundamental design flaw that allowed the battery to fall out during a stall turn. With great care I flew a 1/2 circuit dead stick to loose height and speed with the lipo hanging from its EC5 connector (ESC and integral UBEC).

That was until the lipo disconnected itself... and a helpful cub member shouted to "keep the wings level" but of course I was no longer flying it at that point so TX stick wiggling was pointless (didn't stop me trying to flair before impact).

At least it brighten up the long bin liner walk across the flying field

Wierdest feeling I had flying was when the clevis on the elevator came open during a flight and I lost total control of the elevator. Luckily it was a fairly stable trainer type plane. I twigged fairly soon that I had no elevator control and so didn't try bank and yank turns- instead I did big lazy rudder/elevator circuits and did what I'm quite embarassed to say is one of the best, smoothest landings I've ever managed! Probably because for once I had to fly it down to the strip rather than just dump it onto the patch!!!

But that first 10-20 seconds of "oh my goodness" was quite a nasty sensation.

It was difficult not to subconsciously apply up elevator on the landing even though I knew it wouldn't do anything

Having started flying powered models back in the 50's with control line combat, crashing was expected, and building a new model for the following weekend was just part of the game.

Similarly, wiping out an RC model now, (very rarely these days), just means a new build.

What I find worse though, is a crash where the model is basically repairable with a fair amount of effort, but you almost wish it wasn't.

A major repair is just something I never feel happy with, even if you can't see the repair. You know it was a mess and will never 'feel' the same as a new model. But it perhaps teaches you to learn from your mistakes.

Next time, make it a really good mistake wink

Ray.

We cannot necessarily control the emotions that result from a crash, but I do believe we can control far more of the things that cause crashes in than many RC pilots seem to believe. Have you thoroughly pre-flighted your model? Are you on the right model memory? Have you checked the charge state of your battery under load? Have you prepared a flight plan in your head and thought about what you need to do if you dead stick in a certain position during take-off or landing? Do you have the skills needed to fly in the current conditions? Have you thought about how the wind direction will affect your approach to land before you have even taken off? Do you review each flight in your mind after you land to mentally consolidate any learnings for next time?

I only used to pay lip service to most of these things, but when I began to fly full size gliders in the 90s it became clear to me that if you seek to control all the controllables you can dramatically reduce the chances of a crash. Since applying that discipline to model flying my accident rate has dropped to far lower levels.

So in summary, remember the 7 Ps... wink

To me a crash, any crash , is a failure in pilot performance, either through poor or negligent preparation of a model, or straightforward pilot error caused by flying beyond one's capabilities. There must be very few crashes that have causes that are truly not of the pilot's making.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 27/03/2018 15:43:19:

I hate seeing beautiful models crash even when they're not mine. In fact one of the things that puts me off a lot of the Flite Test videos is the casual attitude they have to destroying aeroplanes. I just don't like waste of either time or money.

Geoff

Here is one just for you,

Steve devil

I get upset because Mrs Cymaz does. crying. Oddly enough, the first thing that has gone through my head is usually...” all the time and effort in making the model and getting to fly right has been wasted”. Odd for some people , I know, but there you go.