Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

Advert

I'm trying to work out if this was a serious comment or the product of some seasonal lubrication. cocktailbeer

Has he resigned as Minister of State for Security at the Home Office or is this an additional appointment? Where was this info from - I couldn't find anything about it on the BBC...creating such a role sounds a little far fetched to me - especially with such a title!

Ah - I think I've got it. Was this what you saw, John?

1:33 25 Dec

A droneSecurity minister Ben Wallace says those who use drones illegally can expect severe punishments.

I would read this as the Minister of State for Security at the Home Office, Ben Wallace, has stated that the UK now has anti-drone systems.  Perhaps not as bad as it sounded...

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/12/2018 00:10:45

Ken, -There were several 'drone sightings' reported to the police, some of those sightings were 'confirmed', however, these sightings were from 'members of the public' who, as the police are acutely aware, are not normally very reliable witnesses, which was the thought behind the "not sure there was a drone" statement from the police the other day.

In completely unrelated news a majority share in Gatwick was today sold to a French company. Do you think anyone ringing in a drone sighting had a foreign dialling tone Not anti-French btw. But the timing is interesting. Everyone is saying it was environmentalists but they would surely "claim" it. Groups like Greenpeace try to do as big a soectacular as possible. Blackmail or financial shenanigans makes more sense to me........

Posted by John Tee on 27/12/2018 13:50:17:

Gatwick has been owned for some years by the Spanish, Thev'e sold 50 .1 % to the French. What price Brexit

John

Who cares what price, ....

as long as there are a least 2 eggs, 2 sausages, bacon, beans, tomatoes, and naturally some black pudding ......

Damn, just dribbled on my keyboard.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Saturday that the drone had flown around the control tower and there were photos of it which enabled the make to be identified. They said it was a rare model availble only from one source.

How come it was only in the Telegraph and not mentioned elsewhere and not mentioned on the forum so far.

Posted by kc on 27/12/2018 16:15:27:

The Daily Telegraph reported on Saturday that the drone had flown around the control tower and there were photos of it which enabled the make to be identified. They said it was a rare model availble only from one source.

How come it was only in the Telegraph and not mentioned elsewhere and not mentioned on the forum so far.

The Telegraph were probably flying it...

Posted by cymaz on 27/12/2018 16:18:41:
Posted by kc on 27/12/2018 16:15:27:

The Telegraph were probably flying it...

Does not the Telegraph employ that journalist, you know the one, sacked twice for lying to his boss, can't remember his name, paragon of truth and rectitude, who did a bit of part time as Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.

Posted by eflightray on 27/12/2018 14:27:21:
Posted by John Tee on 27/12/2018 13:50:17:

Gatwick has been owned for some years by the Spanish, Thev'e sold 50 .1 % to the French. What price Brexit

John

Who cares what price, ....

as long as there are a least 2 eggs, 2 sausages, bacon, beans, tomatoes, and naturally some black pudding ......

Damn, just dribbled on my keyboard.

I care a lot.

There is certainly confusion with respect to the issue of drones and Gatwick.

We are told at one point there were possibly no drones involved.

Then a link is provided to us that the police report that numerous sightings with supporting witnesses, over a protracted period,

We are told that a drone was recovered, at what appears to be within the airport grounds.

Is the apparent confusion deliberate? Is there a game being played, if so, with whom? Is it us, or the drone fliers, if they exist? It could even be part of a strategy to buy time for the consideration and then implementation of regulations, equipment etc in the future.

This whole incident is strange and embarrassing. The drones seemed to be easy to spot in the first place - to shut the airport down - but whenever the authorities tried to home in on them, they apparently "disappeared". Also, I've heard no more about the crashed drone that was apparently recovered from the airfield so days ago. That seems to have "disappeared" too.

The "crashed" drone is more likely to try to hide their sheer incompetence - and fool the public thinking it all was a massive intelligence blunder - or more likely a story to fill another issue - maybe the airport had a computer breakdown, and so invent a story for the public and more reasons why not to provide compensation.

It's called "Plausible deniability". Basically invent a story - chemical leak, anthrax outbreak, etc to cover something else up.