Winter is here....who's been flying?

Thanks for posting the video Jolly Roger.  Took me back to the days I flew a K6e with the Army Gliding Club at RAF Odiham where I was stationed.  It was lovely to fly but the one thing I learned not to do was to let go of the stick!

I was hunting around for my sarnies that had slipped to the rear of the cockpit.  I needed both hands free to do this.  There was a slight bump as I flew through a thermal and then all hell broke loose!  The tailplane was all flying and quite a light construction while the stick was curved back towards the pilot is a shallow S.  The lack of damping in this set up allowed the stick to be thrown fully aft then fully forward rapidly!  My head hit the canopy 3 times before I waa able to catch the stick and stop these violent switchbacks!  After that experience, I always clampedmy knees around the stick if I needed both hands free!

• Haha 1

On 02/02/2024 at 20:59, Jolly Roger said:

I’ve posted this before but for those that haven’t seen it I think it shows Whitestonecliffe quite well.

JR, that launching technique gives me the heebie jeebies- vertigo set in from my computer seat- I felt that I would follow the model over the cliff and straight down!!    And great landing technique.  Really great and realistic video- (like the pilot)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I flew the Baron as pictured below for the first time since repairing the wing. See before and after below. We had a windless and sunny afternoon though it was a bit cold. The model flew well enough but it still needs a few minor trim alterations. The threads in the Thunder Tiger 54's exhaust port have stripped but I glued the exhaust pipe in place with half hour epoxy. It works but you cannot change the position of the exhaust pipe of course. The orange and flourescent yellow patches, which I'd cut from remnants, showed up well.

Boris nearly ready.JPG

Damaged Ukrainian Baron 2.JPG

• Sad 1

A cold sunny morning with light wind and i Maidened the Corsair, 

No dramas only needed down trim once it left the dolly. It broke the prop on landing so only one flight. I  also flew the Warbirds FW190,   the wind picked up and a few drops of snow, everyone headed for home.

20240207_095243.jpg

20240207_095252.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 7

Lovely day on NE coast - well under 10c but very gentle breeze. And our field has dried enough to park cars on it avoiding the 30 yard walk!

Just me and Kev..... I flew my Double Trouble a few times - film is lifting, fraying so it's starting to look a bit tatty. It has done 200+ flights. Also flew my Spacewalker - liking it more and more..

Kev brought his much-repaired Decathlon and despite saying many many times "I'm not buying any new planes", turned up with a lovely DLE20 powered Chippy. Flew beautifully.

20240207_105424.thumb.jpg.93a1ac20f1edaeae5c697f71d549010a.jpg

(The engine is running, hence the banana prop!)

• Like 6

Reading your posts just made me very jealous, as it's been quite a nice day here, but with snow and windy conditions forecast - so I've indulged in a dusk patrol with the Volantex P-51D Obsession against the pink skies and massive squadrons of geese headed to their evening roosts. No gloves, no coat, not even a wooly hat - perfect flying conditions for a very quick sortie. 😎

• Like 3

First session in almost two years of my Gangster 63 Lite which I bought back from a club-mate recently - so effectively a re-maiden! - and the first conventional power RC flying in all that time as well, having only done lots of thermal soaring last year and just one session on the slope.

I'd foolishly assumed the TX model memory would translate directly back to the model (with my own RX back in it) so hadn't checked things first at home!  Thus the first cold hour was spent with the model on my car roof re-neutralising surfaces, de-reversing some throw directions, and re-setting travels - using my mobile I'd luckily, eventually, found the spec settings and my own amendments in my old lengthy build thread (page 11 out of 16), then in a later post the reduced elevator throws I last used once I'd moved the CG back to almost neutral, etc.

Then I spent a while flummoxed as to why the Irvine 53 wouldn't start!   Had new fuel, new plug and fully charged everythings... until I remembered that the throttle kill switch worked the other way round!

Had three dead-sticks on the first tank of fuel, each luckily without mishap (all my gliders come down dead-stick), until I finally remembered to richen the high-speed needle a smidge from what seemed perfect on the ground but on the ground only before committing aviation!

The rest of the first tank was just the usual trimming out and doing circuits etc.  The second two tanks were then a complete blast - the whole of the B-Test schedule plus some extended inverted, half-Cubans, etc.  Fantastic model the Gangster, just so natural an aerobat!  Thrilled that I bought it back, and really chuffed that I remembered - eventually - how to start it and fly it! 😁

• Like 7

The narrow period of decent weather this week meant that it was worth a visit to the field or think of taking up model boats!

Didn't get around to the T33, but one flight each of the Habu and WooHoo + 2 flights of the P38. The idea was to practice full flap landings, but if think two things scuppered my plans! Split flaps with max down only equals about 45 degrees (so not that much drag) and that its such a well sorted model it really does not put up much of a fight, but motors in on the throttle for a just mains touch down. I did try a 1/2 flap and no flap which felt uncomfortable and rather quick in comparison. Still surprised at how different the P38 is with the 2 blade/motor upgrade is compared with the 3 blade/motor set up is.

image.thumb.png.4e47d5a8baa205633be65148d514de2f.png

• Like 5

I had a great day's flying today at Kitridding Farm with the Windermere Model Waterplane Flyers. It was rather chilly but mostly clear and sunny with only a light breeze. Fellow club member Mark and I have a few matching models and have great fun flying them together.

PXL_20240207_101931513.thumb.jpg.ab188aa986aad23bc91805f19dd0cb36.jpg

PXL_20240207_114902269.thumb.jpg.bc6d42de5217ca240a2d683b337f6545.jpg

PXL_20240207_170842681_MP.thumb.jpg.dba3dc0803adca16225aaa04bf1c53ff.jpg

PXL_20240207_150744074.thumb.jpg.d191e83d8fe80f7ff6c874d843f2ba61.jpg

Top to bottom are the HK Skipper, FMS Kingfisher, Eflite Turbo Timber and the HK Tundra. The latter has been fitted with LEDs strips for night-flying and looked great in the dusk.. up to the point when a tree jumped out on a low pass 😪

• Like 11

I ventured out to Epsom Downs race course yesterday and met up with a couple of like minded members. 6 degrees and light winds, but a bit of mist and murk meandering around. Sadly, one fellow member, who shall remain nameless, damaged three out of three models. One, a small foam board mustang was beyond repair, the other two 3D printed models sustained minor damage. One, a beautiful Eclipson Model 3D (pictured), landed just a foot off the side of the runway in the rough grass. Unfortunately, one undercarriage leg and spat was ripped out and caused damage along the underside of the fuselage and the tailplane leading edge. It will be interesting to see how such models can be repaired. Sure, some 3D parts can be reprinted, but removing, say, the damaged tailplane cleanly will be a challenge.

IMG_20240207_153442830_HDR.thumb.jpg.3aaba7fa63f838c3cd1b56ef3d8db895.jpg

• Like 2

I stayed at home, waking up to sleet, now wet snow.

No helicopters seem to flying here, same for light aircraft, as to BAE, defiantly no roar from there.

Gulls continue to fly though, soaring along the various roofs. I am pretty sure it is mostly the same one, I see every day, doing the same thing, a little roll as it travels, then just a smooth glide, no flapping as such, the occasional partial wing movement, then back to smooth glide. It seems that it just another day, as far as it is concerned.

Still a strong wind, the first time, for years, I used my wife's car to get the newspaper, it was the addition of the sleet that did it.

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

@Chris Walby - nice grouping. IIIRC you have the Flightline P-38, but if that's an Arrows T-33 then I was wondering if that one is a smaller version of the LIghtning? OR, of course it might not be an Arrows T-33 🙂

Hi Leccyflyer, you are correct, its an Arrows T33 and Flightline P-38. The P-38 is a weighty model but flies very well and not tried the a spin, full size have unrecoverable spin issue that put the US air force off them. Very sad story as the air force had stopped all spin recovery tests, but the Navy didn't get the memo so their test pilot tried it from 10.000 feet..all the way to the tarmac.

• Thanks 1