Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 20/09/2020 16:54:56:

Obviously you will need to adjust this to your servos you have chosen and where you wish to fit them, I have always tried to keep as much forward of the C of G as possible.

I made a small frame and added a small brace in between.

servos mounted.jpg

Those servo's look the business! Which ones are those?

Edited By David Hazell 1 on 21/09/2020 09:37:07

Yes David , we have been planning the P51 for a while , but 45 Mustangs use up a huge mountain of 1/16th balsa sheet , and we like top quality stuff.

This is just another Chinese issue about to erupt . For those that dont know , they have decided to buy up all of the balsa to make wind turbine blades . So if you were a balsa grower and sick of the nit picking model aircraft gang buying a handful of tons , then somebody said "we will buy 100 times that ,dont care about quality " You can see where that is going .

Another good example of Eastern influence has been the FMS spinners that we based this kit around . Keeping in mind they have been making this model for ten years and have made eight different versions and 20 colour schemes , How is it that they cannot provide us with a single spinner ?

Consequently , we have had to make a dolly , find a very rare metal spinning company that will do small batches , then shell out for all of this lot to get back to where we started . ie our chaps being able to make a complete model. The FMS modellers will have to whistle for theirs !

My guess is that balsa will still be available but will perhaps double in price . We can get round it a little bit as we use poplar and birch internally , and with laser cutting , we can reduce the weight with lots of holes .

We are also lucky in that we have used other materials before and have a vast experience to draw from .

Whatever way you look at it , dealing with China has definitely been a mixed blessing .

I think the Balsa growers will find it too tempting not to keep a couple of tons of top notch wood back , knowing that they have a customer who will pay premium for that little bit of cream off the top .

Hi David

They are from the orient Votik 9497 MG-D out of 6 ordered had one with a bad feedback potentiometer , no chance of replacing it as the return postage alone would be more than the unit itself.

You takes your chances but they are cheaper than most places and are high torque for their size.

Speed/Torque@ 6,0V : 6,8kg/cm - 0,09s/60

I would take the stated figures with a pinch of salt but they certainly are reasonable for their cost and size.

The only issue I have with them is the feedback pot is not generic so cannot find an alternative to repair it.

The faulty one has a lump missing out of the carbon track so when it 'finds' that spot the servo hunts badly.

The others are okay.

The one thing I would mention for the new... is, make sure that whatever servos you choose the ESC has enough current output from the built in BEC to sustain the servo/retract demand otherwise you could cause a 'brownout' of the receiver just when you most need it.... like landingcrying

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 21/09/2020 13:14:28:

Hi David

They are from the orient Votik 9497 MG-D out of 6 ordered had one with a bad feedback potentiometer , no chance of replacing it as the return postage alone would be more than the unit itself.

You takes your chances but they are cheaper than most places and are high torque for their size.

Speed/Torque@ 6,0V : 6,8kg/cm - 0,09s/60

I would take the stated figures with a pinch of salt but they certainly are reasonable for their cost and size.

The only issue I have with them is the feedback pot is not generic so cannot find an alternative to repair it.

The faulty one has a lump missing out of the carbon track so when it 'finds' that spot the servo hunts badly.

The others are okay.

The one thing I would mention for the new... is, make sure that whatever servos you choose the ESC has enough current output from the built in BEC to sustain the servo/retract demand otherwise you could cause a 'brownout' of the receiver just when you most need it.... like landingcrying

Thank you! I will do a bit of a search!

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to Paul , he sounds very croaky as you would expect , but still managed a chuckle so Im sure he will be doing his best to keep his spirits up . He really is one of the nicest chaps you could meet .

All of your kind comments will help him along no doubt . He is on day seven he reckons, so I guess he is starting to get to grips with the bugger . He is six foot three , so he will come out fighting for sure .

In the mean time I will take on some of the build and keep you posted on when the kits will turn up .

A lot is in place , but we are going to need the spinners (we are just having the 8mm adapters machined ) we already have the aluminium shells . This year has been one hell of a challenge and I think we have more to come , which is why we stick together for a bit of "down the shed " light relief .

For any of you that are unaware , I suggest you have a look at the thread elsewhere about the balsa shortage .

As my old Dad use to say though , where there is a "wills" there is a way..... angel 2

Mind you , two days after he said that , he lost his job at the fire brigade ,

Apparently they always wondered how he was always the first at the scene.

Until they found the petrol can in his boot.....

He said "he liked to keep busy ".

Last Year Richard and Paul did a "How to add scale detail to your model" night at my local club, they showed us how to put Rivets, Panel lines and Hatches. They both have their own homemade tools for doing the rivets and getting the spacing right. So I have designed a tool that takes the best bits of those and added to it. It's 3D printed and semi-transparent, flexible and has rivet holes for 1/6, 1/7, 1/8 scale, so you can get accurate spacing. I have put geometric shapes on it so you can mark Hatches, Fuel Caps and Panel Lines. I have put it on Richard's shop in the Scale Parts section but if you want one for your kit just email Richard and he will put it in your Kit. http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Scale-Detail-Template/75.htm. Here some pics of one of Richard's planes with detail added.

2.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

Well Richard , funny you should ask . First thing is, Mustangs are being laser cut as we speak (to ourselves) .

Spinner adapters arriving Friday , 16 Page manual at the printers . Plan finished and printed . Retract packs ready , cockpit kits , rivet templates and decal sets all sorted .

It has been a challenge . You wouldnt believe what is going on behind the trade desk that I am hiding under .

Ive got some Maltesers to keep me going and a slice of lemon drizzle , But to be honest that hasnt really stacked up against the onslaught from the Chinese , Lack of wheels , lack of spinners and then to top it all , they stole all the wood . Lucky I had my Union Jack boxer shorts on . They give a chap the kind of confidence that allows you to deal with a global conflict .

Other good news is that I spoke to that giant of a man , Paul Johnson , on Monday , He has managed to at least poke his head out of the woods , if not entirely extricate himself. His muffled voice, still filtered by the metaphorical undergrowth was a lot more upbeat and he expressed a wish to get back on the horse .

Which I can only conclude, is a result of the drugs he's been taking , because he has never been on one before.

While we are running down the clock , you might want to have a look at Eric Robson's Warbirds Ju88 elsewhwere on this site . Even if you dont like German twins , there is an obvious future in that style of model given the "who stole my balsa " scenario . Im sure Eric would welcome some feedback too .

Thanks for your patience chaps ,it has taken much longer than expected , but we have had one hell of a year . If anyone wants bail out , it wont be a problem as I can easily find homes for the kits .