New site dislikes

Phil McCavity

Advert

45 minutes ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

Ron, at the top of the latest/unread stream, click on content types and choose topics, then save. You won't see anything but topic updates from then on.

D.D.

That stops you seeing what everybody else is doing but doesn't stop everybody else from seeing what you're doing, if your not a forum member or don't sign in you can see all the activity on the forum.

We've asked the question but I think it may be something of an optical illusion - zooming in or making the text bold, it seems to be black to me - although I've heard somewhere that there are 50 shades of grey. 

Other sites on the same template seem very similar so it's either a default option or not changeable. Let's hope there are higher contrast options - maybe with the average age of this forum (ahem) this is more of a concern to us than some sites aimed at the digital generation!

One thing that might help in Windows is to change your text size to 125% (Start/Settings/System/Display)  You can also try custom text sizes up to 500% but I suspect this could be overkill!

9 hours ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

Ron, at the top of the latest/unread stream, click on content types and choose topics, then save. You won't see anything but topic updates from then on.

D.D.

Thank DD, I’ve already done that but my point is that the default site setting is to show it whereas I don’t think it should be available at all as it’s more of a private thing.

I've posted this in another thread too, so hopefully site admins will see at least one: but my number one gripe is that reading the grey text on white is really hard work.  Just typing this is making my eyes hurt.  Mid grey on white is very hard to read and very tiring.

In my other thread I also mentioned the large amount of whitespace, meaning that there is a huge amount of scrolling around.  Please can we reduce it.  The Mobile view is much better in both the use of space and the font colour.   I have a reasonabnly large screen but can only see two replies plus this text that I'm posting. The screen furniture and the advert at the top of the page take up so much space that only one useful bit of content (the first post in the topic) can be seen without scrolling.

There are undoubtedly many new and useful features here, and I wholeheartedly support the upgrade, but please take consideration of legibility especially given your main demographic!

thanks for the hard work

Simon Feather

• Like 1

Alan P, true the front page is but not the displayed posts - WAY to much wasted space and every picture is huge. Surly there must be a way of eradicating the wasted space - must be hell on a phone or touchpad pc. 

Report card - Yes some good bits but my scroll finger has cramp :-( 

Well done guys- this must have been a real challenging task.  I've had many problems resolved on site over the years.

A couple of (hopefully) objective comments:

Whilst the old site had its faults, the new site is a lot more complex than the old.  No doubt, we'll (have to!) get used to it!

Secondly, the site now seems extremely spread out vertically. It takes a huge amount of scrolling to go down from one topic to the next.  (Compared with, dare I say, the RC Groups Forum).  Is this able to be tweaked?  If possible? 

Edited by Tosh McCaber

15 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Thanks to Piers and John I sorted my avatar. Have loaded some pics into my profile about me section but can not put any printed info in, help please. 

Agree there is to much white space on the pages.

I have now managed to place some text in my profile about me section.?

I tried to condense the pages with the top right button but this makes the text to small.

Another slight niggle I'm afraid.

I spotted this in some other people's posts, and initially assumed it was was because local browsers were set in US locale, since this can sometimes be the case depending on how the site serves country-specific data, but I've now checked in my own browser (Chrome) which I know is set to UK locale. 

If you quote someone else's post from "yesterday" or earlier, the quote comes in with the date in US format e.g. yesterday is 2/12/21 e.g. quoting from a post from yesterday I get: 

On 2/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, Phil McCavity said:

You've already done it with your avatar Jon, it's as simple as that.

(with apologies - or thanks - to Phil; it was just a quote picked at random)

So it seems like the site is set to US format for dates.  Admins - could we get that added to the snagging list and looked at please?  Thanks!

• Like 1