Isn't this hobby wonderful.

There are times when we take this hobby for granted. Times when it is deeply frustrating, aggravating or stressful. There are times when work, money, politics and everything else conspire to make everything difficult. 

Then there are beautiful, calm, summer evenings when the sun is just beginning to sink and the world turns golden. Your model is flying perfectly and as it flies past you at head height down the strip, the sun glinting off the covering, you just pause and think. 

"This is bloomin brilliant" 

And it is. 

Sometimes I think those of us who have been doing this for a while get a bit jaded. As much as I have always loved flying, tonight I felt that little bit closer to the 10yr old boy chasing models around the fields until his Father arrived with a stern face (and some trimming advice) before being marched home to fall asleep and dream of sunlight through tissue paper and the soft ppprrrrtttt of a rubber motor. 

Take some time to fall in love with the hobby all over again.

Edited by Matt Carlton
  • Like 12

Advert

Had a day like that today, great bunch of old blokes, some lovely flying from a huge variety of models, warm, light winds, perfect. I personally inconvenienced the electrons in 15 battery packs and took home the same number of models in the same number of pieces that I arrived with. In my book that is a result.

David

• Like 5

A nice thread you've created here Matt, many thanks.

The vast majority of my flying these days is Power Scale Slope soaring, something that's best achieved on coastal slopes which I have to plan and travel long distance to from my home in Derby as opposed to 'just nipping out' - and I think this additional complication only heightens the state of euphoric appreciation when everything does come together perfectly. 

The right weather and wind, with the right model on the right slope, with a great group of people equally enjoying the same moment in a common pursuit!  It really doesn't get any better than that for me!  Like you've stated - a wonderful hobby!

EDITIMG_2227.thumb.jpg.5e08845565a06437ee94b9f30c5a4061.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil, and thankyou everyone for your responses. There is something quite special about 'belonging' to a community which seems quite important in these troubled and unpredictable times. 

Tea at the field seems like a wonderful idea, but it would have to be a flask for me, given the lack of facilities! It is too hot to go flying right now so I am watching youtube videos from past Cocklebarrow events, but everything is charging for this evening.

I do miss slope soaring I have to say, and although there are plenty of cliff sites available, our coast here is rather unstable and gets a bit crowded. 

It is lovely to read all your experiences and feelings about what we do, so thank you again for all your contributions. 

IMG_20210609_132454.jpg

Edited by Matt Carlton
  • Like 2

On the Pembrokeshire coast there is a wide variety of birds to watch and agree the Peewits seem to do a lot of flapping for not a lot of progress. Things like Razorbills and Guillemots flap like the bejeebers but are at least motoring along.  Gulls look to have fine proportions for aerobatics but do little, while members of the crow family like the Chough, Jackdaw  and Rook are often seen doing aerobatics for fun.

Even the mighty Gannet pulls a fine split S except for the fact they do not pull out at the bottom but plunge into the sea after their prey.

Hells mouth by the look of, great s s site, national trust so "allowed", car parking close by and the slopes are "on" from various directions.

Great site in winter too...sometimes you can taste the spray off the waves....

Who says you can't s s in windy weather, standing can sometimes be a problem ?

• Like 2

Last Sunday myself and clubmate, Rob, had the strip to ourselves for a couple of hours.

The weather was blissful, the company excellent.

We both flew diesel-powered vintage models.  None were broken, and all performed beautifully.

Rob had a single channel HalfTone (DC Merlin) and a Debutante (Mills .75), and I campaigned a 51" Zoomerang (ED MkII) and 50" Answer (Indian Mills 1.3)

Tim

196249591_10159774859837137_973455842977706229_n.jpg

196525901_10159774859612137_2301015921836393675_n.jpg

196952629_10159774859667137_1966576046370010484_n.jpg

197580858_10159774859772137_5753959502032106246_n.jpg

197911834_10159774859562137_162421724644331196_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 09/06/2021 at 10:52, Phil Cooke said:

A nice thread you've created here Matt, many thanks.

The vast majority of my flying these days is Power Scale Slope soaring, something that's best achieved on coastal slopes which I have to plan and travel long distance to from my home in Derby as opposed to 'just nipping out' - and I think this additional complication only heightens the state of euphoric appreciation when everything does come together perfectly. 

The right weather and wind, with the right model on the right slope, with a great group of people equally enjoying the same moment in a common pursuit!  It really doesn't get any better than that for me!  Like you've stated - a wonderful hobby!

EDITIMG_2227.thumb.jpg.5e08845565a06437ee94b9f30c5a4061.jpg

That looks like a handsome young man enjoying himself there ?

• Like 1