Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Got a couple of flights in this afternoon, had enough batteries for a couple more flights but the low battery warning went off on my DX8 Gen 1 TX. The 4.8v nimh tx pack has been in it from new which was when these were first released in the Uk. Time to upgrade the pack so ordered a 4000mah tx 2s lipo from 4 MAX, charge it in an hour what`s not to like.

IMG_20221125_145503_resized_20221125_091153765.jpg

I was a little confused when we discussed this yesterday as to how you charged the third part replacements. Having looked it up last night I suppose the answer to what’s not to like is as follows.  With the third party replacements it is the fannying about taking it out of the transmitter to charge. With the Spektrum ones it’s the cost( about twice as much). Having said that my Spektrum one has been in there about 10 years so cannot complain and it seems well still. 

13 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Replace a 4.8 v NiMH with 2S LiPo.  OK provided the Tx circuitry can cope with 8.4 v against 5.5 v from a fully charged 4 cell NiMH.  If it can then fine but if not......then use a 2 S LiFe 7.2 v max off charge.

It’s cosher with the DX8 the manufacturers supply one as an option. It slow charges via the standard charger and claims to deal with its own balance and regulation. Display actually shows 8volts Third party suppliers sell 2s lipos for them but they need to be charged out the TX. Not sure that the connector really benefits from too much connection and disconnection 

Only one connector needs to remain in place in the transmitter though, so if concerned with frequent making and breaking of that connection, with a 2s1p lipo typically fitted with three leads, it's possible to do a balance charge with the lipo still connected to the transmitter battery port.

5 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Only one connector needs to remain in place in the transmitter though, so if concerned with frequent making and breaking of that connection, with a 2s1p lipo typically fitted with three leads, it's possible to do a balance charge with the lipo still connected to the transmitter battery port.

Quite so … but This could start a debate as to whether the battery should be fast charged whilst still physically residing in the TX. I will put me tin hat on and watch from a distance. I know one supplier advocated charging in an hour 4 Amps. 

I flew my DB Sport & Scale Sky Rider yesterday afternoon. The ailerons were a bit soft and I could use a bit more power from the electric motor but those two things are quite easy to put right but when I tried the stall test the model suddenly dropped its port wing and fell fully 20 feet (7 metres) before I was able to regain control. The first landing was a bit hairy and it stalled on landing approach on the second flight breaking the propeller. The balance point appears with a 3000mAh LiPo appears to be further forward than marked on the plan. I will check my measurements against the plan before flying later today. In thirty-four years of flying r/c I've never known a model stall so viciously. The target weight of a Sky Rider is 5lbs, mine weighs 4lbs 9 ounces with a 3000 mAh LiPo.

The colour scheme was chosen by my partner, the pink shows up well in the air.

Sky Rider 2.JPG

Sky Rider.JPG

Great flying conditions here on the East coast ...... but only 2 of us at the field!

20221127_105805.thumb.jpg.c9686d5f1c3a5b955b2ea5cfb4f7c36f.jpg

That's my Arrows Hawk, Riot, Valiant and Seagull P47. And Kev throwibg his big Seagull Edge 540 about.

Mixed day for me.... Valiant throttle snake has come adrift so unflyable; front catch of Hawk broke when i picked it up so unflyable; P47 engine continued it's run-in until it ecperienced an ignition issue AND a fuel tabk issue :-(  Riot went well, as did Kevs big Edge and big Spitfire... lovely day!

Well the sun came out for a short while here in Bedford, so had 3 flights with my VQ Tiger Moth just to keep my hand in. That light breeze was cold though. By now it should have reached you Paul so it should reduce your 11C by a few degrees.

• 3 weeks later...