Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Absolute cracking day here...too good to miss and just amazed there were only 4 of us at the field with 6 gusting 12 mph wind and bright sunshine 🙂Oh and warm as well.

Double whammy as no damaged models, I twigged why my electric twin kept going in to reduced power on the starboard electric Grumpy Tiger Cub twin. Note to Peter Miller, you are spot on regarding on how well mannered the GTC when running on one (sort off). Duff lipo cell failing under load. I must say the GTC becomes more and more fun the more the sticks are moved. 😉

• Like 1

Flew my CML Spitfire today, first time with the cowl on. first flight 10 mins perfect landing. Second flight40 mins throttle would not close fully just above idle made it too fast to land. I had to fly it till the petrol ran out, still made a perfect landing  with cold hands as I was the only one flying mode one no one would take over.

The fault was the exhaust mounting screws to the cylinder had loosened off. They were very tight when fitted but I shall refit with thread lock and fit an electric throttle cut switch. 

Also flew an SE 5 and an Arrows Corsair. Making the most of the weather.

20221018_153232_01[380]Spitfire aty field.jpg

Had a fantastic afternoon here - beautiful warm, calm, sunny day which eventually clouded over, but the flying was super.  The calm weather meant flying a few models that I don't fly very often, including my little Parkzone Mosquito UMX and SE5a, which I really enjoyed pottering about with. Someone in the pits called up the 633 Squadron music whilst the Mossie was beating up the strip. Great fun. 🙂

Bit of a mixed day yesterday.  I was at the field when the sun came up - put 6 batteries through the Riot, and a couple through the Arrows Hawk. Then home by 9:15 (4 minute drive).

Vets. 

Lunch.

First indoor flying session of the season for me.  Managed to get my Crack Mini Pitts stuck on the large dangly roof light - helpful staff lowered the light (eventually) so I could retrieve the undamaged plane.  Then later I managed to get it caught in some netting - sadly it WAS damaged when retrieving it this time. My usually ultra-reliable little TY Flyer decided to misbehave and hit a wall head on - significant damage. On the positive side, my little AS3Xtra flew well - 12 batteries through it. And had a couple of flights on my little heli. (We also continued our recruitment drive via the visit of a local journalist who was fascinated by us flying indoors....). 

Tea.

Pub for monthly club 'noggin and natter', discussing all sorts of random things!   

Bit of a disaster yesterday.

Flew my trainee's Junior 60 then bound his transmitter to the model. He made a complete horlicks of his flight then crashed it. Field repairs were carried out then I flew it. It must have lost some nose weight in the crash because I found it uncontrollable and was lucky to get it down intact.

We swapped to the Boomerang but by now my trainee had lost all confidence so I landed the model. Came in too fast and hit my leg! I'm alright but the fuselage is slightly damaged! 🤔

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nice Spitfire Eric, I googled CML Spitfire  but could only find an EPP one, can you give me more information on yours please ?.

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry it is the one I bought off the forum I did say to the seller to let you have it but he did not want the hassle of sending it abroad. 

The fuselage is fibreglass with good detail but not true scale, the wings are built up with open structure and no detail the colour is not right, the grey film upper surface is too light and the green is film over the grey it is quite thick and creates ridges as with the roundels which are made up in layers of coloured film. The wheels are too small and to far apart. All this however is not seen once up in the air where it looks great and fly's superb. I was advised by a fellow club member who had on to use a more powerful engine than specified, he has a 150 fs in his. I bought an almost new Evolution 26cc petrol and made an in cowl silencer for it, it is actually overpowered but as it is the early heavy Evolution no extra lead was needed for balance. the fill valve for the air retracts was also rubbish and did not work at all so I made one from a car tyre valve and this has been ok so far.

I did respray the grey with a darker shade from a plastic bumper primer rattle can and used oil pastels to create the cannon blisters, the panel lines were picked out with a fine felt tip.

Cheers Eric.  

Went to fly my Mercury Matador yesterday. It is 50years old having been built in 71/72 and flown free flight for a couple of years. After being an attic queen some 40years I converted it to RC.  It was a lovely evening but had no luck with a flight as engine would start but not keep going. I think the tank pick up has come off. Ah well time for another fix up and fly another day.

Matador 50.JPG

• Like 3

Took my Flair Harvard and Seagull ARTF Boomerang trainer to the flying field yesterday. These are powered by an OS 61FS and a Thunder Tiger 46 PRO respectively. There was a good turn out but only one other model,  the club's ARTF trainer, was powered by an i/c engine. Sign of the times I suppose.

To be fair, some of the electric powered models were kit built or built off a plan.

Harvard (1).JPG

Boomerang.jpg

• Like 1

Quite a cross wind yesterday at times and some success, well it didn't result in a bin liner but it was close!

The Mirage was to say the least very lively. I looked very rearward C of G, ran out of down trim and had to hold 50% down stick just to maintain level flight! Didn't like slowing up so landed with a bit of a bump but no damage. Investigation to follow, remove reflex and reset trim.

image.thumb.png.9b89292d9be69c799576262e9c19873f.png

The Panther passed its noise test, rudder (split type needs a bit of work) and a major rethink on the C of G. Set in the workshop dry with slightly forward, but at the field with a full tank of fuel it was 25mm (1 inch) further forward...Going to fit a smaller tank further, C of G on the mark dry and then with fuel the C of G should only be 15mm max forward. Note to get current full tank C of G I have 150g on the tailplane, but what I didn't line was with an empty tank the C of G would have been behind the line.

image.thumb.png.cc334f0561c9483e362dac82b23ab8d5.png

Really getting the hang of the GTC following the previous one out flights where the starboard ESC would go into LVC. I put it down to an ESC issue until I slept on the problem! What a doughnut, of course there is nothing wrong with it...One I had taken off and then applied full fun on the stick the Lipo voltage would drop, starboard ESC would go into reduced power and of course prevent the voltage dropping and the other ESC going LVC! 

Binned the lipo and put a GNB 4S4000 in to replace the duff Nanotec 4S3300 (larger and heavier!) and its back to fun fun fun....Has quite an aggressive spin if you poke it hard enough, but recovery is quick and simple.

image.thumb.png.b962887bae28126ff3db3ae15b450229.png

Made the most of the nice weather on Tuesday to fly a mixed bag of models. Most surprising was the number of thermals around, enough to keep my Edge 1500X  flying for 30 minutes on only 3 minutes total motor run. Got attacked by a Kestrel too which kindly hung around afterwards circling to indicate lift for me! 

BD6906A3-7102-459E-8E77-4C44BF915280.jpeg

• Like 3

Maybe I should have started a Night Flying topic? anyway this is a short, timewarped, video of my new Night Radian. Quite a few other club members have got 'planes kitted out for 'night' flying so expect some more videos in the near future plus a report on the Wingnut Tech LED light control system. (HD and 4K versions of the vid are being processed).

Edited by Ron Gray