Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Gorgeous weekend with sunny blue skies. light winds and a pleasant temperature.

Today I maidened my Multiplex Twinstar which I bought way back in March 2017. Other pojects taking up my time is my excuse.

Just minimal decor applied using packing tape. Maiden was a non event with just a couple of clicks of trim needed.

This is my first twin.

TS 1 copy.jpg

• Like 2

Had a mixed flying day yesterday. The weather was perfect, 20C and no wind. I had a good flight with my double sized Tomboy but the sub-fin snapped off on landing. It's only the glue joint so an easy repair but I lost control of the BE2e on take off. I'm not quite sure exactly why, too brutal with the rudder perhaps. A club mate suggested fitting a gyro. What do you think?

Uncle Geoff's Double size Tomboy.jpg

BE2e Sunday 13th November 2022.jpg

• Like 1

Why not, if not liked, can take it out, turn it off.

I to flew on Saturday. 20°C, no wind to speak of, full sun. I was flying a DVII, same knock knee undercarriage, high off the ground, loads of wing wafting about, and I noticed it was accelerating though air that was changing direction all the time.

Every man and his dog out, 8 to 80, and someone had brought a barrel of new seasons apple and quince cider. And cups to drink it in, so not polite not to. 

Had some nice flights on Saturday, reminding me how nice my EFlite P-47D is to fly - proper imposing in the air, pretty quick in the favoured dive and strafe the field manouver and a joy to land with a very steep, very slow, power on full flaps approach. Thanks to  my pal Derek Robertson for capturing the Jug on characteristic curving attack profile and landing.

1098396709_7284Thunderbolt4E.thumb.jpg.fe08a204bdaee3d3163d36cd70c0c438.jpg

1645652631_7292Thunderbolt5E.thumb.jpg.a767749ade853cdd2ffe10d0248a1c33.jpg

785327271_7305Thunderbolt6E.thumb.jpg.295dc8f5737cab68bf31e92f888c7910.jpg

Also got a few sorties in with my FMS Typhoon 1B - first flight was extremely hairy, as I failed to push the battery all the way down slanted battery ramp, resulting of a very rearward CG and hugely over-elevated and pitch sensitive. Got away with it, then put a fresh battery in the correct place and she was good as gold. Derek grabbed some piccies of these two Jabos beating up their ground targets - I particularly like the ones of the Tiffie with the flak tower in the background and pulling up into the lowish cloud cover, leaving the shattered Tiger tanks behind.

376214199_7364Typhoon5E.thumb.jpg.4ddabc7e7bc62b87516d67423c49c9cb.jpg

780270604_7323Typhoon1E.thumb.jpg.3ecc041a7452bd85abf3d6e84e5668e6.jpg

468481159_7346Typhoon4E.thumb.jpg.c9c8b5a01690ca65975d25b241286271.jpg

Yesterday dawned beautiful and calm with clear skies, but within an hour it was 10/10ths mist, with visibility down to maybe 10m. That did get a little better during the morning, getting to as much as 100m, but in terms of flying I was limited to my wee Volantrex Bf109E, wouldn't risk anything else.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 5

You may have seen the mini glider launch / release mechanism that I designed and 3D printed for fitting to my Night Radian glider, but if you didn't here its is again

And as last Monday was such a glorious day we decided to try it out with my flying buddy Ian's Anglewingsdesigns Aquila micro glider (you may have to look closely at the vid to see the Aquila so view it in 4K!!!)

I like it, flies nicely on a 60 FS, bit overpowered on a 70 FS.  Does any aeros I am capable of; quite slippery for a bipe. Deffo designed for electric, or inverted 2 stroke.  Only recall one build issue - a control guide was not anchored properly so needed a bit of film to be removed to allow a fix (I think there was one other niggle but it must have been minor because I have forgotten what it was!)  

Pros

Pretty (well, I think so), with good colour scheme

Nicely built

Decent hardware

Flies really nicely

Fits in the car assembled

Cons

Cabanes are a bit soft

Not much cowl left if you fit a four stoke

Tank area is a little small. 

• Thanks 1

I snuck out for a few hours this afternoon, after the rain finally stopped.  Moderate southerly (pants for our field). Very gloomy so just stuck to the Riot - would have lost the Hawk and have more invested in the Valiant.

I did want to run the engine in on my P47 but didn't trust the rain.....

Pretty rainy on east Yorks coast but had a couple of batteries through the Riot yesterday a.m. - warming fingers up for indoor flying in the afternoon.

Loving my Twisted Hobbies Yak Superlite, and the ancient Eflite AS3Xtra still does good service with it's equally ancient LiPos. Low turnout of 6 this week - makrs for more flights!

Must remember to take some pics

Bit breezy today so limited to one flight on the Riot. 

Did start the engine on my Seagull P47 to start the running in process..... it's an RCGF 20cc petrol that has been sitting in its box for 18 months - started first twiddle of the starter and seems plenty powerful enough.

Just a couple of minor jobs and the P47 will be ready for its maiden - just about 2 years since I got the kit.  I'll post a piccy once I make the hatch fit better.

Just the one flight on the slope today, before getting soaked through and heading back home. A proper shame, because in the short time before the rain started the lift was great, with a 25mph gusty SW wind. Just about dried out now. Looks like that's it for the weekend with more wind and rain forecast.