Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Got 4 flights on the Acromaster this morning 9am. Perfect conditions and certainly not cold. The grass however is sopping wet and I can’t see it drying up at all untill April. UMX Mustang 1s lipos didn’t take a charge. Ok 2 weeks ago ????😭😭😭Colin

Edited by Colin Carpenter

Wanted to squeeze in a maiden flight of my Eachine P-51D Mustang and it was still light after work, so headed up to the field at 5pm, the light was pretty bad, but managed a flight with the Wot 4 before flying the P-51D. She's faster than the wee Volantrex Bf109e but just as much fun. A couple of flying pals were there and we had great fun dogfighting the Mustang and a couple of Bf109Es.

With the light fading I squeezed in a final flight with the SEMFF Zero, but nearly lost her a couple of times in the dark - it was dark enough that the red light on the receiver made it look like the model was on fire. Landed safely, packed up and was back home and unloaded when it got proper dark at 6:10pm.

I decided to go today, we are busy at the moment, and booked the car this afternoon. Yea, old farts, but there you go.

Didn’t recheck the forecast. Loaded an ancient Flair DVII, and a HK Tundra.

Arrived at site, windier than expected, bit of a cross wind.

Knock knee biplane, blowing, cross wind. 

Forgot the batteries for the Tundra, left in workshop. No fly Tundra.

Talked myself into flying the D VII. I’ve done a couple of hundred flights on it, I do know how it behaves.

Took off. Tail is up after a few feet, that’s the wind under the wings. More rudder than normal, cross wind, up like a scalded cat, that’s me more power than normal to get it going way from me at a normal rate, so it climbs. Fly for a couple of minutes. Bouncy, turbulent, wind swinging. Unpleasant. Bring it in. Go home.  Cross wind element.
Anyway, only light damage, but it’s a very old airframe, and I’m getting suspicious of its structural integrity because it’s getting to the stage where all the light repairs over the years add up.

Idiot. 

On 24/10/2022 at 21:46, Ron Gray said:

Maybe I should have started a Night Flying topic? anyway this is a short, timewarped, video of my new Night Radian. Quite a few other club members have got 'planes kitted out for 'night' flying so expect some more videos in the near future plus a report on the Wingnut Tech LED light control system. (HD and 4K versions of the vid are being processed).

It arrived no problem then @Ron Gray?

Following on from my post last week, here's a piece from a local paper. The Pitts is mine - before I landed on the roof light, and the side netting...... our Secretary is working hard to get the word out as this is the 5th piece we've had in local papers in the last 12 months.

It was one of our quieter weeks; this week there were 9 fliers - doesn't sound many but it's 25% of our membership!

WHMFCIndoors.pdf

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Couple of my pals from my old club made the trip down to see me today, so have had a lovely RC related day. Firstly Jim was delivering the own design  Dornier DO17 that he was building for me and secondly we'd planned to have a tour of my workshop and a few flights at my local field, Jim's always had a thing for DH Vampires and we worked a deal where he took my as yet unflown Durafly Vampire in part-ex for the Dornier, which we were both very happy with.

Got a few flights in at a very soggy field, with zero wind and good company, only slightly marred by me losing my EFlite P-51D on a completely routine landing, during which I just missed the electric fence and tore the wing mounting plate out. All repaired now though. A very good day. 🙂

It was too windy to fly at my club this afternoon but there is a tradition in the club that if it's your birthday, you have to bring something to eat and drink, as it was one lad's birthday, we ate cake and drank Belgian beer until about 5pm when the wind dropped. I got in two long flights with the Big Guff. On the last flight a gentle zephyr tipped the model onto its nose just as the wheels touched down. May be the prop tip is damaged. I'll investigate tomorrow.

16th March 2022a.jpg

You don't need fast reactions to get out of trouble if you a) fly 2 mistakes high and b) think carefully about what you want to do in your flight before you get airborne.  Most times you need fast reactions are because both of those "rules" are broken.  The other thing that gets pilots into trouble is having too much control surface movement so that when panic sets in they end up using full stick movements and the aircraft reacts faster than they can resulting in pilot induced oscillations usually with a poor outcome!

24 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

You don't need fast reactions to get out of trouble if you a) fly 2 mistakes high and b) think carefully about what you want to do in your flight before you get airborne.  Most times you need fast reactions are because both of those "rules" are broken.  The other thing that gets pilots into trouble is having too much control surface movement so that when panic sets in they end up using full stick movements and the aircraft reacts faster than they can resulting in pilot induced oscillations usually with a poor outcome!

Sometimes Murphy's law puts in an appearence.

I have become friends with a Belgian bloke called Frans. Frans was having difficulties with a four channel ARTF trainer so I suggested he build a three channel vintage model: he wanted to learn how to build anyway. He bought an Electric Junior 60 kit, not our first choice but Colin Buckle was recuperating from an operation and had limited stock at the time. Frans is almost at the stage of being able to fly without me on the master transmitter but when he tried to take off with the J60 he lost control of the model and damaged it. Once he'd repaired it he gave it to me to fly. I'd always told whoever would listen that if the day ever dawned when I couldn't fly a J60, I'd give up the hobby! The model was bound to my transmitter, checked over and range tested. It took off. All went well initially but then the model became very unstable and was performing all sorts of gyrations while I was chasing it on the transmitter. I got it down to a hard landing which resulted in further minor damage.

It was only when we had it back in my workshop that the reason for the instability became clear. In repairing the model Frans had built a horizontal box to house the LiPo but it was much larger than the LiPo with nothing to retain the battery. In flight, as soon as the nose pointed downwards the LiPo moved forwards causing the model to dive. Naturally, I hauled on the elevator stick and the model went into a steep climb forcing me to put in full down elevator! Ever tried to fly a model with a moveable cg?

Fortunately we have now mounted the LiPo vertically and all is well. Frans is currently building a Radio Queen, so is another member of the club. Picture of the three culprits below!

Silver Foxes.jpg