Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Beat you to it Brian. With the temperature around the 2° mark this morning I took my thermal overalls with me today and put them on as soon as I got to the field. It was also fingerless gloves on all day and soup for lunch, bit of a change from last week’s T shirt and shorts.

Still we had a busy time with me doing a fair bit of training which was good. 8 members braved the cold.

Tomorrow looks like it will be another chilly one.

• Like 1

Advert

20231016_115247.thumb.jpg.8677efedbafc71e06e3ed6b1d156cbba.jpg20231016_114921.thumb.jpg.bfa8d4fe5f49a0bacf5da343e0edf15d.jpg

Put my winter flying trousers on, dug out scarf and gloves.  Glorious day - minimal wind, quite mild..... surprisingly I am Billy No Mates...

Todays good news is that rebuilt is fine (and quieter now wing tube is not flopping around). Welcome back, old friend.

• Like 1

This morning couldn's have been more different - su cracking the flags, but chilly. Flat calm, not a breath of wind and perfect flying conditions. Had a really good session but just the three of us. Loads of fun chucking the cartoon depron Spitty and Fatty Messerschmitt about, but also flew a few old favourites that hadn't had an outing since before Covid - my Modelshack Cricket and MAF Searching 400 both of which were lovely to fly. The Ripmax Mustang was to be the third such not flown for ages model to join the list, but on powering up, the prop adaptor lurched forward an inch and the thrust had pulled the motor shaft through the fixed rear of the motor - a missing circlip there I guess, so that's one for the bench. You have to take advantage of such perfect flying days - they are only going to get fewer and further between as we head into winter. Really glad that we made the effort to go this morning..

I flew on Sunday for the second time since my cataract operation. It was sunnier than last time but much colder and windier than the beautiful day last week when we entertained visitors for our scale fly-in. It was fingerless gloves all day.

I had a very, very lucky escape with my Riot/Devil which was the first time out for a while.  I inadvertently let it fly over my head (I think the wind veered a bit to the north - it veering and backing all afternoon between west and north) but it was mainly pilot error.  I lost sight of it completely and, fearing the worst, just shut the throttle and hoped.  I turned round to see it landing perfectly in the field behind me, which just had the remains of the cereal crop stubble.  I just had to walk about 50 metres to pick it up.  I replaced it on the runway, took off again and completed my flight.  I was told it completed two loops before it landed!  Someone was looking after me, perhaps, but I doubt it.

I need more practice.  I don't like flying where I need to look right up (it tends to make me stagger) so I usually fly a bit further away.  That's the first time.  I'm not a great pilot but I consider myself a safe one but potentially not on this occasion.  Still my Liddle Stik (named Kovid Killa) clocked up a few more sorties since I built it in 2020.

• Like 4

Drove the 30 miles or so to the Gueret club's fly-in on Sunday. It was very cold so I put on my NCB overalls over long trousers and a club polo shirt with a fleece over the top of that lot! There were several blokes there with good cameras. I'm not sure whether this is going to work but I've linked a series of pictures taken of the event. Quite a variety of aircraft flew so something for everyone. My dog Tiko, the white Swiss Shepherd, found a new friend!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMmFFVcppeT5UpcxgCVjBefQv4GWcz9keUDmI3_a_NsoShwdRG2hYTj-zc8F2HOrw?key=TzRNXzkyNGdseTZVNHJ6b3RLUDBfNUh0T2hHdE13

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JOHN MOSLEY 2 said:

I fly like most of the time, but that's Ok.

Me too John 😁 But why not share a picture or two.

I had a full flying weekend just gone. The usual suspects were present so I didn't bother with any pictures. I now wait until new / different people / models appear. The weather was good though, but starting to get chilly out of the sun. I wore my thermal long sleeve vest and leggings for the first time. And two pairs of socks. 😂

1 hour ago, David Davis 2 said:

Drove the 30 miles or so to the Gueret club's fly-in on Sunday. It was very cold so I put on my NCB overalls over long trousers and a club polo shirt with a fleece over the top of that lot! There were several blokes there with good cameras. I'm not sure whether this is going to work but I've linked a series of pictures taken of the event. Quite a variety of aircraft flew so something for everyone. My dog Tiko, the white Swiss Shepherd, found a new friend!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMmFFVcppeT5UpcxgCVjBefQv4GWcz9keUDmI3_a_NsoShwdRG2hYTj-zc8F2HOrw?key=TzRNXzkyNGdseTZVNHJ6b3RLUDBfNUh0T2hHdE13

Worth the 30 mile trip I'd say David. Looks like a very well attended fly-in with a good variety of models. Right up my street. Great photos, including the dogs running around. I'm jealous 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futura57 said:

Worth the 30 mile trip I'd say David. Looks like a very well attended fly-in with a good variety of models. Right up my street. Great photos, including the dogs running around. I'm jealous 😁

It was rather cold though! Having had temperatures touching 30C earlier in the month it was bitterly cold on Sunday hence my heavy duty NCB overalls over long trousers and fleece on top of that lot.

I had an interesting time flying the Super Frontier Senior, an ARTF clone of the SIG Kadet Senior which I'd picked up for £40 last time I was in England. The throttle is actuated by a wire pushrod with one of those grub screw fittings attached to the servo output arm. I don't usually use such fittings prefering a Z bend or a soldered fitting but I've never got round to changing it. I was left with an engine which would not respond to the throttle but which had sufficient speed to allow me to climb gently so I flew it about for several minutes avoiding the Spitfire and the P40!

Lunch was preceded by an aperitif of Planteur, a mixture of orange juice and white rum accompanied by potato crisps. The French call them "ships!" The "apero" was followed by an entrée consisting of a boiled egg on a bed of water cress, croutons and beetroot. Red wine was served, an acceptable Merlot from a box. The main course was roast pork with macoroni cheese followed by French bread and cheese and tinned fruit salad as a desert. After real coffee the flying recommenced.

Must say that I'm surprised that flying recommences after aperitifs and Merlot, but I guess it is France after all.

Thick fog and a heavy frost this morning - hospital appointment first thing so no flying, but it's brightened up lovely into a nice flying day - bitterly cold though. Enjoy the day if you have flyable weather, we've another storm coming in for the rest of the week from tomorrow.

• Like 1

Superb conditions this morning, but the field was a bit wet where we park, so I only took a couple of wee models as I thought I'd have to walk in from the hard standing at the farm sheds. As it happens it was perfect and we got some good flying in - a total change from the weather at the back end of last week. My old club field was 3/4 flooded on Friday morning and since then we've had a months rain, so I guess it;s mostly underwater now - academic anyway as several of the roads that I use to get there are still closed after Friday and yesterday's flood - lots of damage and diversions. Forecast is good tomorrow, but I've other committments then the rest of the week looks like being a bit iffy, so I'm pinning my hopes on a good November, which historically we do get a few very good, cold, crisp, days when the high pressure sticks around.

• Like 1

I put my Acro Wot and Big Guff into my two tonner this afternoon and went over to the pitch. There was a good turn-out. I counted 14 pilots. Not bad as the entire club is only 33 strong.

At first there was a bit of a breeze but nothing that the Acro Wot couldn't handle. I spent some considerable time with the cowl off adjusting the engine as I am now using the latest fuel recommended by Laser which only contains 7% oil. I had two flights with the model. The first one went well and I landed on our runway but during the second flight the engine cut and I had to land downwind. I overshot the runway and landed in the adjacent field. The newly repaired landing gear withstood the abuse. Even the new nylon bolts remained intact. I obviously need to do a little more engine tweaking.

By 17.30, there was no wind at all so I assembled the Big Guff and spent fifteen minutes plodding about the sky.

Le Petit Dernier (3).JPG

Le Petit Dernier (6).JPG

Gueret Fly-In Oct 2021 (5).jpg

• Like 1

I put my Acro Wot and Big Guff into my two tonner this afternoon and went over to the pitch. There was a good turn-out. I counted 14 pilots. Not bad as the entire club is only 33 strong.

At first there was a bit of a breeze but nothing that the Acro Wot couldn't handle. I spent some considerable time with the cowl off adjusting the engine as I am now using the latest fuel recommended by Laser which only contains 7% oil. I had two flights with the model. The first one went well and I landed on our runway but during the second flight the engine cut and I had to land downwind. I overshot the runway and landed in the adjacent field. The newly repaired landing gear withstood the abuse. Even the new nylon bolts remained intact. I obviously need to do a little more engine tweaking.

By 17.30, there was no wind at all so I assembled the Big Guff and spent fifteen minutes plodding about the sky.

• Like 1

We held the last Wacky Races event of the year today, Called the Pilot's Ball and after the last few days of truly atrocious weather what a change with wall to wall sunshine all day. One of the conditions of being able to partake of the BBQ was that you had to wear a 'plane themed hat, the following shots shows some of the members suitably attired 

558806270_Image4.thumb.jpg.02d49d16682b9ade20537ec928264928.jpg

1194924416_Image3.thumb.jpg.bd33aa23c4d7fbd0f2f9fb5a2f3c3a49.jpg

There are a few videos which will be uploaded in due course, featuring the last 2 events of the Wacky Races series, Busta Balls and Breaking Bread.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

After the Hankies had failed to destroy any of the targets, the challenge was opened to non Hankies, the results speak for themselves!

This Alex's attempt

Not to be outdone his father, James has a go!!!!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

And the final round of this year's Wacky Races - Breaking Bread. The aim is for the hankies to break the breadsticks which are stuck in the ground, points are awarded for each break, some score higher than others! The most amazing thing is not the carnage, not the breadsticks actually being broken but the number of Hanky touch and goes - amazing!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1