Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Advert

Finally got out to fly after 3 weeks!  Seems longer!

Object was to fix the pull to canopy on the upline on my F3A bird.  The last session showed I was almost there so I added 1/4 turn to the incidence adjusters (that's 0.25 deg would you believe) and it proved to be spot on.  The wind was very light when I started but gradually increased and swung round to Northerly.

The cloud base dropped so that when the aircraft was at thd top of the box, 850 ft, it was just in cloud.  I use an on-board telemetry package to provide the height reading - very useful and pretty accurate.

The downside of the increased wind and change of direction is the big increase in turbulence as you approach the 20 ft tree line just 20 yds before the runway starts!  At that point, I called it a day.as I really needed the height for a meaningful practice session.  At that point I also noticed I was getting cold!

• Like 1

Lovely afternoon, but just a few of us out - had a nice Armistice Day flight with my SE5A and a couple of flights with the Super 30, mostly on the button, Very light winds which diminished through the afternoon and flew a variety of models, including trying out my rarely flown Webbit to see how it felt about taking over the role of winter hack from my deceased Wot 4 Foam-E. Only slight cloud was my UMX Mosquito, which could only manage a very short flight, as the ancient single cell 250mah batteries are on their last legs, I'm going to swap out that horrible EFlite connector for one which will let me use the wee Volantex 400mah battery instead.

Sunny and no wind, jus a little cool. The CAP 232 out today after its maiden some weeks ago. 3 flights but last landing not so and pulled undercarriage off. No other damage so lucky. However noted the elevator servo is quite stiff so think I will change it.  The foamboard Bloody Barron had two flights. Its a real treat.

Wednesday looks a potential nice weather day ??11

Looks like it was pretty good right across the country, it certainly was here in the East Midlands.

I had a couple of flights with my trainee who has returned to the hobby after a 30 year break and, while he quickly got back into the routine of flying circuits, he needs a few more sessions to get back his confidence on the approach and landing phases.

The good conditions encouraged a few people to maiden new models which had been held back due to the high winds of late, including the Telemaster Coupe below flown by club member Paul. He picked it up at Don Valley when he visited the open day over the late May bank holiday weekend.

PXL_20231111_153922561.jpg

• Like 2

almost no wind today so flew twice.

In the morning flew the converted FX707.

Complete1.jpg.b0aafd8a5f49411912e4a186f28b6e97.jpg

Flies very nicely but after 5 minutes the folding prop decided to part company over the wettest part of the field and I do mean wet, like standing water!

Landed as close as I could as a marker. Spend 10 minutes sploshing about but the chances of finding a black 5" prop i a combination of long grass and water are zero. My feet got pretty wet too. No damage just have to order another prop.😒

Having dried out I flew the sub 250g Depron Light Tractor and I don't mean a Little Grey Fergie!

NewFuseFin.JPG.33dfa7dc7a161c8ab2253429bda9fb3d.JPG

About the same size as the FX707 but over 100g lighter and a good bit more powerful, although using the same 850mAh 3s, so unlimited vertical is available. Despite not having a folding prop it seems to glide just as well. 12 minutes of spirited flying only used about 60% of the battery capacity. With gentle but boring low power cruising it has flown for an hour.😀

I wonder when the next really calm day will arrive, certainly not next week!      

A great turnout at Epsom Downs racecourse today in the Winter sun. Blue sky for much of the afternoon with light winds down the strip falling to zero by about 3pm. 15 pilots were registered on our EDMAC club Billy-no-mates web page and even more turned up during the course of the afternoon. As usual, two of my models were amongst a handful of self-built ones. The vast majority were ARTF foam or balsa/lite-ply. I took along both my Top Quark prototypes and maidened the second one with no incidents. Another member maidened two newly acquired foam ARFTs: A Flightline Spitfire 1.6M and a Freewing Me262 1.5M twin EDF. Both flew well, the Me262 being the star of the show. Apart from a sticky nosewheel on one flight and a nacelle/belly landing, all was well. Plenty of public came along to watch and a 10 year old lad was given a duel control taste of flying with the club trainer. Days don’t come much better than this.

Oh, and I tried out my new lipo warmer which is a £4 heating mat and 12V to 5V USB adapter from Amazon powered by an old 3S 2200mAh lipo. All drawing only 300mA. The heated lipos were placed at the bottom of my Tx case, on top of the heated mat, with a layer of foam and then Tx on top. It definitely made a difference from running cold lipos.

1432514210_Epsom1.thumb.jpg.357d77d50446f756da76a53695b1f705.jpg

851622745_Epsom2.thumb.jpg.62ce5d72d5cf3db7d210bf6af50d51a4.jpg

606580125_Epsom3.thumb.jpg.4a682dba9f27d7c2a0cb7d6ae6a94d3e.jpg

• Like 3

Gorgeous day today, perfect flying conditions with a heavy frost which soon burned off,, deep blue skies, bright sunshine and a really good turnout of club members. Flew a bunch of models until the light started to go a bit off - all in all a marvellous day. Here's clubmate Jim's beautiful P38 Lightning which shone in the brilliant sunlight.

1224467517_scoltylightning.thumb.jpg.08abb1e09527a08118761fb8e98f4563.jpg

• Like 5

SO B,,, annoying, I can never find anything using the search engine,,,,

Here I am after couple of flights with my old Marutaka Spitfire, more interesting is our deaf pilot ( never listens ) last week he started up his OS 52 fs in his Tiger moth, to save us all hiding in a bunker with helmets on I suggested that he didn't walk down the runway, just take off at the middle where it is safer (? ) for us,

It was flat out between his legs-then he let it go, straight up into an uncontrollable  loop and into the rushes just short of the Presidents car  luckily it isn't electric ( here we go😨) little damage, Saturday he put his .60 Folke wolf in, his usual problem badly installed electric retracts, radio and retracts running on the cheapest pencell 2400mah battery's, today there he went again down the bottom of the runway, Tiger Moth fixed with the usual uncontrollable loop over his hear and that was the end of it,,,I have stopped counting the number of times I tell it's speed and not height that you need.

20231114_144203.jpg

• Like 3

On 15/11/2023 at 11:15, leccyflyer said:

Just received some pictures from Sunday's Remembrance Day's flying, with my SE5a having a sortie in perfect conditions, captured by my pal Derek Robertson. Bit of a dodgy take off by me, but it makes for a cracking picture. The landings were spot on. 🙂

1489376135_1793SE5aflying6E.thumb.jpg.ee6eedb6ce9e05fa228ff67ae2901a3e.jpg688462396_1773SE5aflying4E.thumb.jpg.0696df19912b76e313daaeeecdde52d8.jpg1987047288_1751shakeytake-offE.thumb.jpg.16e93ebc5f84807cffe1ebadbb4fc778.jpg

Lovely shots of your Flair SE5a, Leccy. It looks a treat.

On 15/11/2023 at 11:15, leccyflyer said:

Just received some pictures from Sunday's Remembrance Day's flying, with my SE5a having a sortie in perfect conditions, captured by my pal Derek Robertson. Bit of a dodgy take off by me, but it makes for a cracking picture. The landings were spot on. 🙂

1489376135_1793SE5aflying6E.thumb.jpg.ee6eedb6ce9e05fa228ff67ae2901a3e.jpg688462396_1773SE5aflying4E.thumb.jpg.0696df19912b76e313daaeeecdde52d8.jpg1987047288_1751shakeytake-offE.thumb.jpg.16e93ebc5f84807cffe1ebadbb4fc778.jpg

Great looking aeroplane 

4 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Lovely shots of your Flair SE5a, Leccy. It looks a treat.

Not a Flair one Geoff - it's a completely convincing Parkzone foamy which a lot of folks assume is an all wood, built up job.

Had just a short trip to the field this morning and some field maintenance was going on, so the SE5a didn't get to fly - had fun with the wee Volantex warbirds though and my Spittie dogfighter, which were able to be hand launched and not require the use of the runway.

Surprisingly good day today, so off to the field at 9:30.

I flew my Spacewalker, Double Trouble, Riot, newly acquired Parkzone SE5, baby FW190. My Wot4 remained on the ground with ignition issues.

Kev brought his Super Chippy, and half a Wot4XL (forgot the wings). He did remember his chair though.

Martyn brought a brace of Easystars, which flew successfully, and a pair of foamy Wot4s that went home needing some........ attention!

Phil found his mojo, and chucked his Aerostar around with aplomb.

Great flying, nice chatting over cups of coffee.

A few minutes before this picture was taken, it was like Last Of The Summer Wine - no idea who Compo was!

1760684491_20231117_1315066200.thumb.jpg.12e87afdb3d65c7108e67bc2e4f56dfd.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 4

Amazing day  in the North East, quite warm very little wind, twelve turned up over the course of the day. I  was there from 10 am till dusk with a  Fw 190  Spitfire, Bf Me109 and Dauntless. A lot of batteries to charge but due to the forecast looks like it will be storage charge. 

20231117_145908.jpg

20231117_103251.jpg

• Like 4

There were only 3 of us at Ashbourne today despite the light winds and bright sunshine.  It was a bit chilly but I broke out the padded suit I bought from Anchor Surplus a few years back and kept toast warm.

Ken had a few practice flights with his F3a model and Martin flew his Zero and a small old timer as well as an ARTF twin.  I had my own concerns to take too much notice of the other two because it was the day for maidening my shiny new Gladiator.  I had a couple of practice flights with my Liddle Stik -which included a few touch and goes and then it was cycle-clips time.

So a couple of flights with my new toy and it was time to pack up and go home.

859617444_Glad06.1.jpg.b7d0c43b913aa40f0441e4400d18bfcb.jpg

Edited by Geoff S
forgot photo!
  • Like 8