Scam alert

Rich Griff

I can only assume this is a scam to try and get you to phone the number to cancel the 'payment' -

I got an email this morning thanking me for the automatic payment for PC Security for up to 5 PCs.  The amount is odd (adding to its apparent authenticity?) $389.75.

There's a supposed US toll free number ie

"For immediate service, support, cancellation or questions please call us at (888) 964-0289 Mon-Fri 8AM to 6PM EST.
Thank you for your business."

Needless to say I haven't paid knowingly for any such 'security' and I checked both my credit card account and current account to make sure noting has been paid.

Anyone else experienced a similar claim?

Just had a phone call from "Amazon" telling me my Prime subscription had run out and I had been charged £95.00. I had to dial 1 to discuss.

Not really. I don't have an Amazon Prime account  and if I had I would have emailed Amazon as they don't have my landline number !

• Like 1

Had a Scam call from a nice Indian sounding man the other day, who said my appliance cover was running out on my washing machine and if I could supply my bank details he could extend the cover for 3 more years for only £30. (I knew it was a scam because I never buy the cover in the first place).
So, I said to the man " Which washing machine do you mean because I have 2?" (A Lie)

He said "The Zannussi??!"

I said "Nice try scammer! I've got an indesit!" (Also a lie)..... Hahaha

He laughed and hung up!

KB

I recently had a call from EoN who are my electricity supplier to remind me about changes to their payment arrangements even thought I had already paid a bill using the new arrangements

The representative who called was surprised when I would not confirm my personal details such as name, address and date of birth "for secuity reasons" and said that she could not talk to me.  When I explained why, although I would have thought it was obvious, and said that I would be lodging a complaint, she offered to do it for me and it has appeared on my EoN online account

So, the call was from EoN, but do they really expect customers to give personal details to unsolicited callers from unknown numbers ?  It seems that they do, and from the surprise shown by their rep at my refusal, many others had been happy to give details, which worries me

BB

I have had two phone calls from ‘Your bank security department’ asking whether some large transactions were made by me. It was a recorded message, female English voice and she mentioned £350 on Amazon and £1100 to an international money transfer website. I was asked to confirm by pressing 1 or press 2 to speak to an advisor. I hung up after listening to the spiel. The scam give away was ‘Your bank..’ I have checked just to be sure. 

It is common for firms to phone you and then ask for your date of birth " for security reasons" and then refuse to talk to you if you should refuse to give the date!   Ridiculous!    That sort of thing helps scammers.   They could of course ask for the last few digits of your a/c number after they have given the first part of the a/c No.   But they seem too stupid to do that.

Of course young people give their date of birth to the whole world when they put something on Twitter etc saying it's " my 18th birthday today"  or similar!   Idiots! Its online forever.......

Edited by kc

• 2 months later...

Just had an amusing scam caller, purportedly from 01182307819. Phone rang, I picked it up and a woman said that the insulation in my attic is of a type which is dangerous, hazardous to health and needed replacing. I asked her how she knew what I’ve got in my attic (bearing in mind I’ve lived here for 38 years, and no one’s been up there except me). ‘It’s on the database’, she said. Ha! I had to laugh. I said I don’t engage with scammers, wished her a good evening and put the phone down.

Presumably they catch enough vulnerable people (1%?) to make it worth their while though.

Edited by EvilC57