Fire extinguisher for lithium batteries

Advert

I was thinking of installing an automatic dry powder system in my lipo storage cupboard, but when I investigated them I found that they were for Class A,B,C fires and  they weren't lithium fire specific. This looks like a good system - you are essentially covering the fire with wet clay, which forms a barrier to exclude oxygen.

This was discussed some time ago, but not with a conclusive outcome(ignore inital question in the tumbnail below, it soon wandered to discussion of Lipo specific fire extinguishers, including the vermiculite ones)...

Edited by MattyB

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

This was discussed some time ago, but not with a conclusive outcome(ignore inital question in the tumbnail below, it soon wandered to discussion of Lipo specific fire extinguishers, including the vermiculite ones)...

Hey - where did you get a picture of my charging station from? 😉

I confess I didn't follow up and purchase the vermiculite suspension fire extinguisher, but it does sound like a good idea.  I'd hope that in the event of a lipo fire in storage, which appears to be a very rare event, the lipo sacks and vented steel cabinet would contain the flame front and the lack of combustibles -other than the lipos themselves - would mitigate against fire spreading.

Since that thread I now know of one more person who lost his house to a lipo fire - though he left lipos charging unattended and his ancient Astro charger is suspected as being the cause in not properly terminating the charge. Anyway his garage and house were burned to the ground.

Perhaps the best policy is to contain the lipo fire and not allow other material to become involved as they will burn themselves out...in the end.

Or how about using or contacting FireTrace (no personal connection) and asking the professionals how they would deal with a lipo fire?? 

Automatic Fire Suppression Systems by Firetrace Ltd. - Firetrace

Not cheap, but piece of mind 🙂

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Perhaps the best policy is to contain the lipo fire and not allow other material to become involved as they will burn themselves out...in the end.

Or how about using or contacting FireTrace (no personal connection) and asking the professionals how they would deal with a lipo fire?? 

Automatic Fire Suppression Systems by Firetrace Ltd. - Firetrace

Not cheap, but piece of mind 🙂

Don't think there is anything on their website that will touch a Lithium battery fire.
I bought a Lithex extinguisher, don't know how well it would work and hope I never have to find out.

The official line seems to be to contain it, monitor it but let it burn out. 

When I mentioned on here a friend suffering a spontaneous lipo fire (not on charge nor recently charged) I was shouted down by a member who is (was?) a professional from the Fire Service, you can imagine my thoughts...

Edited by Phil Green

8 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Don't think there is anything on their website that will touch a Lithium battery fire.
I bought a Lithex extinguisher, don't know how well it would work and hope I never have to find out.

I know that a powder extinguisher will put out a lipo fire. Don’t ask me how I know!

£32 for the one that Martin linked to - much cheaper than replacing a car.

One of our club members had a fire in the back of his car a few months ago, whilst charging a small lipo - luckily it was spotted before it got out of hand and the whole ensemble of charging leads and lipos was able to be hoiked out of the back of the car -and the small fire put out with bottles of water, but  one of those fire extinguishers would have been very handy if it hadn't been spotted for another minute or so.