Scams...again.

Jon H

Councils sell on the Voter Register, these are readily available in local libraries, however try and look through one. You have to ask the Librarian to access and then tell them the name or the street you wish to look at. You just cant bowl in and ask for a copy to peruse. At least not in the libraries I have been in, which are disappearing at an alarming rate, not solely down to cost cutting but lack of use.

6 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Got an email from deceased clubmates email, but it was signed by his widow asking me if I could do a favour for her, not unusual as she had used his email previously, as I was out I replied to say I'd call later. Then got another email saying she was in hospital and it was her nieces birthday, could I buy an Apple Pay card and she'd then reimburse me,...........,..... 

I got a similar one from a contact in Scotland asking if I'd help with something. Way unexpected as our correspondence had been about slope soaring sites. Not trusting email, I rang him up, and he'd been hacked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Whats new , so do local councils unless you opt out

There is a world of difference between Councils selling a list of names and addresses of voters who have not opted out when registering to vote and what Paul says EDF is doing in France.  There is an even bigger difference between that and what was originally suggested, ie that delivery companies are passing on details of users who have had or are expecting a delivery leading to scams concering expected deliveries

For what it's worth I agree with an earlier post.  Being opted out of the Council scheme to sell names and addresses should be the norm

12 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Got an email from deceased clubmates email, but it was signed by his widow asking me if I could do a favour for her, not unusual as she had used his email previously, as I was out I replied to say I'd call later. Then got another email saying she was in hospital and it was her nieces birthday, could I buy an Apple Pay card and she'd then reimburse me,...........,..... 

I had one like that which seemed to be from a club mate but when I looked closely at the email address it came from it wasn't quite the same as his proper one.

2 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

why a world of difference ?

Because in the case of Councils selling details from the Electoral Register voters have agreed to it, albeit by not opting out

The option to opt out is clearly visible on the voter registration form as is the effect of not doing so

11 hours ago, Bob Burton said:

Because in the case of Councils selling details from the Electoral Register voters have agreed to it, albeit by not opting out

The option to opt out is clearly visible on the voter registration form as is the effect of not doing so

Sorry Bob i dissagree . Any person on electoral roll should NOT automatically  be included onto lists of details for sale but should be asked if they want to opt in.  Then they have made a declaration to be included and not included by default.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This looks ALL WRONG...

Just had an email reminding me about my car tax which quotes the correct reg no. but claims I pay by DD but I never have. It quotes a bank account number, last 4 digits and sort code which are both false. It also quotes a 6 digit "DVLA identifier which, if it's specific to my vehicle, doesn't have nearly enough digits to cover every vehicle in the UK. The link is to a website "www.gov.uk slash browse slash driving", edited to make it invalid. The proper website is https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax.

We had a call on the landline on Monday, purporting to be from BT, saying that there were problems with our broadband in our area and requesting information. I asked "Which area is it that is having the problem?" and she put the phone down immediately.  Repeat performance on Tuesday. Scammers all. FWIW there are no reported problems with the Broadband in our area -it's no better or worse than it normally is - somewhere between 3 and 4.5mb/sec, so I suppose it could have been a tortoise balancing on the overhead line...

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 18:35, John Wagg said:

2 emails this morning from Lloyds Bank asking me to update my personal details.

Didn't know I had a Lloyds account .🥴 

Now I have 2 more bank accounts that I didn't know I had ?   Halifax and Lloyds.

Also had an Email from "popeye @ talktalk.net" saying I have up to 10th October to refresh my Email account to keep my account active. 17th now and still active.🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft would find it difficult to find my photos.  I have 3 physical HD on my PC and 2 are partitioned into separate drives.  So none of my data (inc photos) is on drive C, which is reserved for the OS, but is distributed into relevant folders and sub-folders.  I like to know where my data are stored 🙂

26 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Microsoft would find it difficult to find my photos.  I have 3 physical HD on my PC and 2 are partitioned into separate drives.  So none of my data (inc photos) is on drive C, which is reserved for the OS, but is distributed into relevant folders and sub-folders.  I like to know where my data are stored 🙂

Same here, C drive for operating system and programs, three other physical drives which comprise one large drive for main storage, two other hard drives for backup, all in removable caddies and two portable drives as secondary back up. Nice to find someone else who knows that "data" is a plural word.

Edited by Shaun Walsh

Too much reliance on digital storage of photos these days. Print them on a proper photopaper for posterity, still easier to look at and appreciate . Then keep the SD cards etc as a back up. But who knows, when our grandchildren have grown up what tehnology will have come up with ? Will they know what an SD card is ?