Scams...again.

Jon H

As you guys have seen i am trying to thin out some of my unneed items. Model gear, pc stuff, music stuff etc. 

So i have listed the model gear here and on BMFA, so far so good. The Music and Pc stuff...facebook marketplace.

The first enquiry i received was for a guitar. They didnt argue about price (first red flag), didnt want to see it or play it (2nd red flag) and then wanted to arrange a cash on collection deal where fedex would collect it, give me the cash, and then take it away. I didnt come down in the last shower and know this to be a scam so informed them i knew it was a scam before blocking them and reporting them. 

The next enquiry was for an older pc. Inoffensive little machine, fine for general home use. They wanted to pay with paypal, but again without seeing the pc up and running 🚩. i could smelleth the halibut already. Apparently their brother was going to come and collect so cash on collection was no good. They 'sent' the payment and told me to check my email and junk mail for the notice. Given the aroma i was getting i went to my paypal account directly to see...yep, no payment. Check my junk and sure enough there is an message from 'paypal' saying my account was on hold and blah blah i didnt read it. Most curious that it had the same time stamp as the alleged payment.. I again informed them they were trying to scam me, blocked, reported. 

Now i appreciate that con artists have been out there for yonks, but for me to list two items for sale and be hit with two scam attempts on those items in less than 5 hours with no genuine punters messaging is utterly ridiculous. I would complain to facebook but i might as well just yell at the walls. The only reason i am posting here is to oxygenate the method these people tried to use as those less up to speed on this might be suckered in.  

Damn scammers.  I just want to clear out my stuff without all the hassle! 😡

10 minutes ago, john davidson 1 said:

Last item I put on the buyer wanted me to buy some sort of voucher and give it to the  courier

why cant these people just get a flippin job and leave us all in peace. 

• Like 2

Its probably even worse if you put a wanted ad anywhere as then you would be offered all kinds of old photos of kit other people actually own.

IMO its like junk mail....low cost and they only need 1 halibut per 10,000 phishes, what have they got to lose?

You can reduce (though not eliminate) the likelihood of receiving these types of scams by including the payment methods and collection/shipping options in the descritpion upfront e.g.

• Cash or bank transfer payment only
  • Collection from (insert first digits of postcode) only; no shipping or courier collection.

Anyone who doesn't read that and suggests one of these options then goes straight into the bin, no need to respond to them. Works for me 9/10 times.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

And never use PayPal friends and family for purchases on line. 

My granddaughter was conned out of money she could ill afford by someone using a well known name asking her to pay money to “her sister’s” account for an item via a Facebook advert.  

Needless to say, this woman was masquerading under a false identity and the money went into a black hole. 

PayPal refused to refund her. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 16:05, Jon - Laser Engines said:

why cant these people just get a flippin job and leave us all in peace. 

They probably make more money than many people do working, don't pay tax and they don't have to get up early every morning!   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just had an email informing me I have won £750,000 on the UK Lottery. That's wonderful, even if I don't remember entering it 😀

All I have to do to claim it is reply with my personal details to verify they have the correct person. If they have the wrong person, could I reply anyway to help avoid any future mistakes.🤣

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Last week among other things I ordered 2 4.8 batteries from a Model store in this country,  only one arrived with one to follow on the invoice. 

Yesterday I received a message that I had missed the delivery of a parcel and to go to their website, I didn't recognise the site but clicked on to find it was Royal mail and there would be a re-delivery charge of

£1 _48. Alarm bells rang as they don't normally charge for redelivery, on trying the search button nothing happened so to me it was a scam. I phoned the company today and they confirmed the item had not been shipped. The website is my depot- hold-com.uk.

Beware 

9 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Last week among other things I ordered 2 4.8 batteries from a Model store in this country,  only one arrived with one to follow on the invoice. 

Yesterday I received a message that I had missed the delivery of a parcel and to go to their website, I didn't recognise the site but clicked on to find it was Royal mail and there would be a re-delivery charge of

£1 _48. Alarm bells rang as they don't normally charge for redelivery, on trying the search button nothing happened so to me it was a scam. I phoned the company today and they confirmed the item had not been shipped. The website is my depot- hold-com.uk.

Beware 

Sort of makes me wonder about the coincidence ?

8 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

May be someone in the delivery companies is passing on information. 

Yes it's big business, EDF ( French electric company) have installed 'linky' connected meters, and sell the names and addresses off to company's

after spying on what you use, selling to companies who install air con, and home insulation etc,,,

Got an email from deceased clubmates email, but it was signed by his widow asking me if I could do a favour for her, not unusual as she had used his email previously, as I was out I replied to say I'd call later. Then got another email saying she was in hospital and it was her nieces birthday, could I buy an Apple Pay card and she'd then reimburse me,...........,.....