Flutter

Most of us may have heard that distinct sound of control surface flutter, which usually ends in abrupt disaster This is a .60 Hobbico Trainer that I aquired as an engine test bed. It always had that flutter sound and I'd often shout out to the previous owner to "slow down".

When I actually saw what flutter looks like, this model was immediately grounded for a complete rebuild.

• Like 1

Wise choice!

There can be multiple contributing factors and solutions but an easy first step in effecting a cure is to seal the gap between the control surface & main plane with a strip of covering material or adhesive tape.

Those of us who flew the early generation of the Mick Reeves Gangster will recall it occurred on most of those models. That was solved by stiffening the ailerons with a lamination of thin ply.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was lucky to get a 'V' tailed electric thermal soarer down in one piece after flutter cracked one half of the tail.  It was only the plastic covering holding it together!

I made a new tail and covered it with traditional tissue doped on in the hope the extra torsional rigidity would help, and never had a problem again with flutter.

Eglider.thumb.jpg.401c69f36ce58f1da95f87a44b5c8b93.jpg

First the throttle link to the engine went awol, and engine which was to much for this model went flat out. It kept flying for couple of minuets with the elevator fluttering until its link broke.

With only aileron and rudder left it was now in a steady decent and all I could do was steer to a safe crash hoping fuel would run out. [it did not]. All my fault should have done a better job on the control links of this old Ezee Pzze which later examination after showed they had gone brittle.

crash one ezee.JPG

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, John Lee said:

Wise choice!

There can be multiple contributing factors and solutions but an easy first step in effecting a cure is to seal the gap between the control surface & main plane with a strip of covering material or adhesive tape.

Those of us who flew the early generation of the Mick Reeves Gangster will recall it occurred on most of those models. That was solved by stiffening the ailerons with a lamination of thin ply.

I built numerous gangsters 52 and 63 back in the day. I always fitted a strip of trailing edge outboard on the Ennis ie aelerons stopped before tip of the wing. It was very effective 

Thanks for the heads up about the "gangster" problem, didn't know about that !

I have never experienced a control surface flutter as far as I know, but I have heard it.

Jon made and was flying a fast model throwing it all over the sky. Flying down wind into wind diving at a shallowish angle increasing speed we heard the sound. He shouted out it's got flutter and it crashed quite spectacularly.

Elevator flutter due to high speed...

An hour later his biplane crashed, loss of control due to battery drop out.

He was having a bad day.....

Also important that the control surfaces are not thinner than the main surfaces, I always try to have slightly thicker control surfaces as this creates a smoother airflow over them reducing flutter and also giving better control. Any slop in the fittings and servos increase the chance of flutter.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 19:25, Martin McIntosh said:

It is almost always due to lousy, sloppy linkages, especially with those awful strip ailerons from the days of expensive servos and systems which could not cope as well  as today with two aileron ones.

In my case, a Basic 3D, plan build, built too light. Right horizontal stabiliser, and elevator, exploded in a hooligan manoeuvre.

On 15/07/2023 at 13:38, Rich Griff said:

Hi gangster, please could you repost your cure for the gangster flutter problem, seems predictive text itise has happened ?

Thanks.

rich

Ah I don’t know what happened to my post. The cure was not to have ailerons right to the wing tip. Simply put saw the last two inches off the ailerons and glue in place as fixed trailing edge. i.e don’t have strip ailerons right to the wing tips.