CAA Call for Input: Review of UK UAS Regulations Aug 2023

MattyB

I have just waded through it and submitted my reply . I don't agree with all the BMFA guidance and have added my own thoughts / additions etc . I'm tempted to think that its a forgone conclusion as democracy appeared to have  died long ago and this " Consultation" is just a smoke screen to appear to be taking our opinions etc into account  , although I hope i'm wrong . Time will tell .

• Like 5

Advert

1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

I have just waded through it and submitted my reply . I don't agree with all the BMFA guidance and have added my own thoughts / additions etc . I'm tempted to think that its a forgone conclusion as democracy appeared to have  died long ago and this " Consultation" is just a smoke screen to appear to be taking our opinions etc into account  , although I hope i'm wrong . Time will tell .

Like you, I've returned my reply with various personal thoughts along with the BMFA's position. As to the worth of all this effort, who knows? The whole RID thing is such a crazy notion when applied to our hobby, I still think good sense will prevail and it'll be kicked out. Trouble is, good sense seems to be in very short supply in government and its agencies. Probably best to sit back now and see what happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Like you, I've returned my reply with various personal thoughts along with the BMFA's position. As to the worth of all this effort, who knows? The whole RID thing is such a crazy notion when applied to our hobby, I still think good sense will prevail and it'll be kicked out.

Can I ask why you think that, when RID has been implemented in Switzerland, France and Japan, and is well underway in the US? RID also became law for the Specific category across the EU on Jan 1st this year.  Why would the UK authorities push back on it when countries all around the world are going down this route, and they are being told by lobbyists and big business that there are jobs and tax £££s to be had?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MattyB said:

... Why would the UK authorities push back on it when countries all around the world are going down this route ...

Status of Network Identification in the Single European Sky from eurocontrol's U-Space monitoring report.

ses_net_rid.jpg.e335ed102606de8439a3964b44811052.jpg

18 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Tedious and I didn't understand a few of the questions.

but done all the same, the more reply's the merrier.🤩

Tedious and difficult to understand by design I suspect. The writers of these and many other questionairs/ polls or whatever you want to call them write them this way to evoke a certain responce, generally in their favour. If a simple to understand straight forward question was asked then their aims would be dashed. By making it difficult to understand they expect and rely on many just not bothering to complete it . Its a bit like philbustering in parliament where the boredom and disinterest generated by a long poitless speach causes any opposition to fall asleep or simply not bother. 

• Like 4

I found the BMFA/LMA guidance invaluable in completing the consultation survey, infact I probably might not have bothered were it not available. So thank you all those who gave their time and knowledge to make this guide available. Thank you also BMFA for the timely email reminders. 👍

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

I found the BMFA/LMA guidance invaluable in completing the consultation survey, infact I probably might not have bothered were it not available. So thank you all those who gave their time and knowledge to make this guide available. Thank you also BMFA for the timely email reminders. 👍

Absolutely. It was a largely copy/paste exercise for me (and having to replace a weird character with a ti / another with ft /another with tt. Strangely formatted on mac!

18 hours ago, MattyB said:

Can I ask why you think that, when RID has been implemented in Switzerland, France and Japan, and is well underway in the US? RID also became law for the Specific category across the EU on Jan 1st this year.  Why would the UK authorities push back on it when countries all around the world are going down this route, and they are being told by lobbyists and big business that there are jobs and tax £££s to be had?

Just because others have gone down what is a blind alley at this time, doesn't mean that we should follow them too. I think we've seen enough of that sort of corporate hysteria and self importance reported on our TV screens lately and look at where that has got us.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Absolutely. It was a largely copy/paste exercise for me (and having to replace a weird character with a ti / another with ft /another with tt. Strangely formatted on mac!

Absolutely the same thing happened to me David, on a Windows 11 laptop.  I didn't bother delving too deeply into the reason why but it seems like those letter combinations are interpreted as special/control characters.  It did make you read very carefully what you had pasted in!

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Just because others have gone down what is a blind alley at this time, doesn't mean that we should follow them too. I think we've seen enough of that sort of corporate hysteria and self importance reported on our TV screens lately and look at where that has got us.

Whether we believe this is a blind alley or not is unfortunately pretty much irrelevant. The CAA and UK Gov have been preparing for this for a long time, spending money with consultancies (and another example) and talking with countries across the world to ensure they are globally aligned. They know what their target outcome is - if there is even a slight chance of money and jobs to be had from legislation that fosters investment in the UK, they are going to legislate to support it, and (whether we agree or disagree) RID is seen as a key element of that.

I am 100% certain that RID will be implemented; the only question is what (if any) exemptions or exceptions will be made to accomodate recreational model flyers. 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

Submitted some time ago....

Look forward to a further consultation with an April 1st closing date !

It's only lone fliers/country members "restrictions" that worry me, and the caa refusing some clubs "official status", IE, unsuitable.

Slope soaring site" official status" is a worry also.

I have answered the questions with "aeromodeling and model flying as a whole" attitude rather than "just me and my model flying " attitude.

A slight contradiction agreed but there you go.

I am not a club member due to transport difficulties ( nearest club 60 mile round trip, powered, few extra miles extra to NT / club soaring site, hell's mouth ) and increasing mobility problems.

I am very local these days...

Anyone else noticed a reduction/improvement of general aches and pains since Dec 22nd. ?

• Like 1

If by some chance our submissions are read and noted by a human being I would expect to receive either an email or letter or a knock on the door from the CAA having in several places called them incompetant out of touch and liars and other words that aren't allowed on this forum, only in this case the polite version of them.

POLITICAL COMMENT REMOVED - see CoC

By the way I don't expect to be contacted by the CAA!

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Political comments
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

I am not a club member due to transport difficulties ( nearest club 60 mile round trip, powered, few extra miles extra to NT / club soaring site, hell's mouth ) and increasing mobility problems.

I've flown the sites around Cilan Head including Hell's Mouth many times over the years, though not in the last 10. Despite offering some of the best soaring anywhere, fellow flyers and even passers by aren't exactly common (unless you count the sheep), so I'd say the chances of RID enforcement (or even any Karen's checking up and reporting you) are essentially zero!

• Like 1

Unless NT demand it.

They may demand that fliers are fully legal to be allowed to fly there, so if rid becomes " law"  and not fitted......

All good untill a *walker" is hit, but the walkers of those paths do have some " sense" . They seem to like watching the flying.....

Absolutely wonderfull site.

Penrhos, you know of Frank the paint and others ? The caravan used to be the other side of the site back in the day... .

'

4 hours ago, MattyB said:

Whether we believe this is a blind alley or not is unfortunately pretty much irrelevant. The CAA and UK Gov have been preparing for this for a long time, spending money with consultancies (and another example) and talking with countries across the world to ensure they are globally aligned. They know what their target outcome is - if there is even a slight chance of money and jobs to be had from legislation that fosters investment in the UK, they are going to legislate to support it, and (whether we agree or disagree) RID is seen as a key element of that.

I am 100% certain that RID will be implemented; the only question is what (if any) exemptions or exceptions will be made to accomodate recreational model flyers. 

I couldn't care less about RID being implemented outside of hobby users like model aircraft flyers and drone (multi rotor) operators, where we'll be flying our machines within line of sight and of necessity in  close proximity to the pilot or operator - what's the point of RID when you can see who is flying and where they are?  Who is going to bother standing at the gates of a busy model flying site with their phone app running, in order to get a bit more info on a perfectly legal activity that they can see before their very eyes?

The vast majority of model aircraft and some drones will be operated from organised and known club sites, and those that do operate alone or have a more loose group arrangement, will know their responsibilites and in the vast majority of cases, will abide by the rules and the law. What benefit will RID be there?

If anyone like the idiot that I saw a few years ago flying his drone out over the River Blackwater way beyond line of sight towards Bradwell nuclear plant, fancies a similar foolish and illegal escapade, then RID and rules and regs are going to be the least of their concerns and they'll definately not be broadcasting RID, or rather like having cloned number plates - disguising their ID.

We need to oppose the imposition of RID on our hobby as much as we can and as in your last sentence above, have the right thing done for us. I think we agree on that.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

Been reading these threads for years, I honestly haven't a clue what some are saying or what points being made ?

"It's a done deal, the powers that be decided long ago" "Politicians and money aren't to be trusted"  "We must oppose by all means available" somewhat confusing is that.

For me, worlds moved on, tech brought many benefits and some down side, this time it's us at the sharp end. Options ? Stick together, get best outcome we can, then deal with it.

• Like 6

Nipped out earlier today and popped Radio 2 on, Jeremy Vine.

He was discussing the appalling treatment of the Royal Mail Sub Postmasters - and beyond appalling it is too.

Much discussion also went on as to just how the HM Courts & judiciary sided with the Royal Mail and Fujitsu (the contractor who implemented the flawed Horizon software for them).

How could they have got several hundred cases wrong in close proximity and, now, only embarrassed by the news coverage, the government is running around, open collared and starting each sentence with “look..” whilst promising redress of sorts if at all possible.

The government is only doing this through negative publicity as they really weren’t interested before despite what they say.

Once this story has faded in a week or so (although the real tragedy for the real victims won’t have), how about raising our albeit lesser issue through the BBC, Jeremy Vine et al ?

Whilst they’re on the back foot popularity wise and keen to appease, why not highlight another significant piece of strong arming and bullying towards peaceful folk by the government ?

There’s never a better time than when they’re on the back foot.

It would need someone articulate enough on air though to be able to charm any of the “awkward squad” who in their subject ignorance may have been tainted by the press about “drones over their house” etc and may ring in in that capacity.

just a thought ..