Hobbyking coming back to the UK

Just went on to Hobbyking, experimenting.  Chose to (theoretically) purchase an Orange 6ch Rx.  It came up with "UK Warehouse", which I chose.  Orange Rx £16.92.  It then took me through to the payment page.  I gave my post code, and £2.62 postage was added- Total-£19.54.  Delivery 2- 4 days.

WHIW!!  Looks like the Uk Warehouse is back in business?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Dewar 2 said:

Not good news for any surviving UK model businesses though....

There'll still be plenty of business for the remaining outfits, many of those that have fallen by the wayside were, in many cases, on their last legs anyway due to being crazily uncompetetive and unwilling to adapt to change. Some years ago when we were originally getting our knickers in a twist about the demon Hobbyking, I and several others said that within a decade, the UK modelling industry (as far as R/C aeromodelling is concerned anyway) will contract to a handful of outlets with a strong internet mail order presence. I think that particular guess has pretty much come to pass and I don't see that a new UK HK warehouse will affect them much at all - the likes of Sussex Model Centre, Leeds Models, Kings Lynn Models to name but a few will continue to give excellent service to us. Good to keep them on they're toes though.

The old high street single fronted model emporium of our youth, has gone the way of the draper, motor factor, small chemist, tobacconist and most old style iron mongers. However....... if you're looking for a haircut or something to eat, it's a different story. I do agree that all change is far from being good though.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Not sure whether they mentioned UK Warehouse in last months discussion.  I've sent a pm to them for clarification (I hope?!)

Post from that original thread showing what they posted on FB when questioned about the UK when they announced the new EU warehouse...

The weird thing is that, given t is an open secret they are reopening in the UK and even shipping some stuff already, why do they not do an official announcement telling customers how it will work and when it is likely to open in full? 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Latest reply, earlier today, from Hobbyking Support lady:

HobbyKing Support Center

Sep 13, 2023, 05:47 EDT

Hi,

Good day! I hope you're doing well.

We have no official announcement yet,  but as we can see we are glad to inform you that we are not offering some products coming from our UK warehouse. We have very limited available stocks for now but rest assured that more stocks will be coming soon and it could be the reason why there is no official announcement yet for the reopening of the warehouse. 

We are very sorry that some internal process are not actually being disclosed to us, therefore it will be confidential also to our customers, but just so you know Hobbyking is going through a restructuring and things may not be brilliant lately, but as you can tell we are now working in progress, you just need to wait for now and hopefully in the next few weeks and months it will go well. 

Thank you.

Customer Care Team
HobbyKing.com

Well, for better or worse, I've ordered some LiPo's - sorry to UK suppliers, but the price they're on offer for is mental.

Back order, due late October, paid by credit card as 1. I've got no money at the moment and 2. Security, should it all go wrong for any reason.

Watch this space - hopefully it all goes well. 🤔 I'll report back as & when.

Kim

• Like 2

I'm quite tempted by the Gladiator and did a dummy purchase - it's free postage when it gets into UK stock.  I also read the on-line manual.  It's not a model you really want to strip down and reassemble at the field but at 1100mm was it should go into most cars in one piece (but take up more space for storage at home).  I was amused by one of the fault-finding solutions- it recommends turning the prop round if the model goes backwards when the throttle is opened!  Good luck with that!

I'm pleased HK is returning and that they (or we) will be paying UK taxes to keep a level playing field with other UK based mail order businesses. 

• Like 2