Weather forecast software

Ron Gray

@Futura57asked in another topic about what members used for weather forecasting and as I’m very interested in this topic I thought I’d create a new thread.

To get the ball rolling, I have my own weather station and upload my data into various systems but the app that I tend to use more than most is Weather Underground - https://www.wunderground.com

We are just in the process on installing a solar powered security camera at our site which should also be able to give real time video shots of what it’s actually like at the strip.

Davis Vantage Pro wireless is my weather station although it currently has a problem as the humidity and therefore dew point readings are way out. It may need a new sensor or it could be that the Davis calcs are wrong.

Edited by Ron Gray

2 hours ago, Glenn Philbrick said:

We also have our own weather station that is on our web site and can be seen on a Mobil phone. It is an old maplin one and spares are getting difficult to get so will need replacing soon. What is your station Ron?

Someone gave me the plastic parts of a weather station, which didn't include any of the electronics. I thought I might design the electronic parts myself but then I discovered XC weather. 

Glenn, I won't ever do anything with the parts so if you need the wind direction and strength gizmos, you are welcome next time I come across them in the loft.

I have a Netatmo Weather station which also enables me to read other Netatmo outdoor modules, of which there a half dozen or so within a few miles of our strip.

But for decisions to fly on the day I use the short term forecasts ('TAFs') for the local Liverpool & Hawarden Airports which are updated every 6 hours. These are accessed through the Met Office Aviation Briefing Service (you have to register but it is free) &/or the AeroWeather App. eg (not a flyable day today!) eg:

image.thumb.png.75c6143819724e2e7f1e892913a88d47.png

image.thumb.png.6fab1d2a7654cd3678ce4c66005ee184.png

For longer term planning I find the MetOffice's YouTube channel the best source. In particular Tuesday's 'Deep dive' gives a very comprehensive overview using the MetOffices, European, American and sometimes other Counties' weather models. They explain the differences & probabilities in an 'adult' fashion with no dumbing down and you can soon build up a good picture of what to expect up to a week ahead.

39 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

Would like to set up remote station. We have solar panels so power should be ok but how do yoi zet it up for remote access vua mobile or web  and at what sort of cost for temote access. I assume some here have such a system and can pass their wisdom on.

Our station is powered by solar panels that we use for the electric flyers. It transmits via a sym card that we pay a small amount for, the idea came from a BMFA mag some years ago. I'll try to find the information.

21 minutes ago, Glenn Philbrick said:

Our station is powered by solar panels that we use for the electric flyers. It transmits via a sym card that we pay a small amount for, the idea came from a BMFA mag some years ago. I'll try to find the information.

I expect that this is the one from Deeside MAC published in December 2016, I think (from some old correspondence, I don't still have a copy). I seem to recall that it was based on some Maplin hardware with Arduino or similar linking it to a Sim based mobile uplink. The site is still active & reporting on: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IUNITEDK515#history

I race sailing dinghies (seems to win out much more than flying atm I'm afraid) and wind forecasting is one of the biggest topics of conversation around and at events. I find xcweather.co.uk (which started as a full size glider forecasting tool) the most accurate and simplest to interpret

• Like 1