BMFA SUBS 2024 ????

Rocker

While it is no consolation to the recent joiners, the BMFA subs did not increase for a number of years, thus causing this apparent 'jump' in subs. My club has just announced that it is increasing the club fees as well...

Still jolly good value to my mind - especially when compared to other sports/pastimes.

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rocker said:

On top of saving £12 I would get cheaper tickets to the LMA Shows 

A much better deal then what the BMFA are offering 

so your complaining about £12 a year yet the Four LMA shows are spread across the year and the Country so travelling to and from these four shows plus food and stall purchases saves you what???

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve too said:

From the Buckminster budget in the AGM documents.

22/23 deficit £35,080 (actual)

23/24 deficit £58,069 (estimated)

24/25 deficit £40,343 (budget)

The figures you extracted from Actual and Budget forecast include depreciation, which as I wrote earlier is an 'accounting paper loss' (not actual money) to take into account the reducing resale value of the lease (amongst other items) and as the treasurer at the meeting pointed out are 'worst case' scenarios.

-22/23 the depreciation is £33,103

-23/24 the depreciation estimated is £28,900 

-24/25-the depreciation estimated is £28,900

But if you look at the other AGM documents - specifically -

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION
YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2023

Page 7,

The total show before depreciation and tax show a small loss of £853 and even with the tax payable being added on of £1,125 amounts again to a small total loss of £1978. And as the BMFA office services will now operate out Buckminster that is quite a small cost.

When looking at these figures you have to look at all of them, especially the supplementary information.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocker said:

That tells me the BMFA can not afford Buckminster if they keep running at a loss.Since the BMFA took on Buckminster  our subs have almost doubled

Not true, the subs in 2017 (7 years ago, or 8 if you count in 2024) were £33.00 for an adult. If they had doubled they would now be £66.00. In fact they have risen slightly less than 45% over 8 years at the new £47.00 adult rate.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Again that is my point .The BMFA can not afford to run Buckminster just for a  chosen few while the rest have to pay for it 

Not true, anyone who is a member can go if they wish, and going by the fact that most weekends during the good flying months are booked out months in advance would also seem that a lot of members are making use of the facility. Strange that you seem to be willing to travel all over the country to attend the LMA shows but can't make it to Buckminster to take part in anything!

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Christopher Long 1 said:

The figures you extracted from Actual and Budget forecast include depreciation, which as I wrote earlier is an 'accounting paper loss' (not actual money) to take into account the reducing resale value of the lease (amongst other items) and as the treasurer at the meeting pointed out are 'worst case' scenarios.

-22/23 the depreciation is £33,103

-23/24 the depreciation estimated is £28,900 

-24/25-the depreciation estimated is £28,900

But if you look at the other AGM documents - specifically -

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION
YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2023

Page 7,

The total show before depreciation and tax show a small loss of £853 and even with the tax payable being added on of £1,125 amounts again to a small total loss of £1978. And as the BMFA office services will now operate out Buckminster that is quite a small cost.

When looking at these figures you have to look at all of them, especially the supplementary information.

Before Buckminster became available the BMFA quite often had to hire venues for a number of events. Many of those events, a prime example being the Schools and Universities Payload challenge, are now held at Buckminster meaning there is a substantial expenditure that is no longer needed in venue hire which doesn't show in the accounts. Having a National Centre has also meant there has been opportunities to showcase our sport that were otherwise unavailable too.

Income at Buckminster was quire badly affected by some atrocious weather this year with a number events cancelled.

Having a National Centre also adds massively to the credibility of model aircraft flying as a sport, which h too.as great value

• Like 10

Just as a matter of interest, other than staffing and "office costs ( rent, electric, insurance and tc. etc. etc. ) ",  How much does  it cost to send out a bmfa members email mail merge message to you every member please ?

Bearing in mind, most if not all costs are covered by last year's "subs" ?

A fair estimate of the cost In my opinion would be pennies unless Microsoft etc. Charge by the message ?

30k+ members at a penny each, or penies ( 100 ? ) for 30k emails ?

Only asking.....I am happy to pay the subs changed. I may even  get to a bmfa buckminster show one day...

• Haha 1

suppose in the current times we are living in here and worldwide....that the £5 increase in reality is nothing(a packet of cereal, big bar of chocolate ect) and the BMFA is a business that has to pay its way as well. Its pointless bashing the BMFA and the people who run it...for like it or not they do a good job looking after our interests.in comparison to everything else that is going up(car insurance!!!!) the rise is nothing really. The national centre is another subject...but not worth bashing when talking about fee's...if it is stand alone and not costing me anything, I cant complain.......the main worry i suppose is the falling numbers...there must come a point when a minimum number is reached.... and then we will have a problem...or two/three.

ken anderson...ne...1...fee's dept.

• Like 4

£47 a year, peanuts, less than a pound a week.

The BMFA fights our corner doing it's best too keep the CAA and others off our backs who are trying to regulate our sport.

Shamefully I've not yet been to Buckminster even though I only live about an hour away but I hope to get there next year. I don't care if some of my subs pay for the place as it's a huge asset as pointed out in Andy Symonds post.

If you want to be a member of a BMFA affiliated club which I believe most are then you have to be a BMFA member.

I could save a whole £12 a year to join the LMA but are they going to fight our corner and keep the menace of things like RID at bay?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Outrunner said:

The BMFA fights our corner doing it's best too keep the CAA and others off our backs who are trying to regulate our sport.

Shamefully I've not yet been to Buckminster even though I only live about an hour away but I hope to get there next year. I don't care if some of my subs pay for the place as it's a huge asset as pointed out in Andy Symonds post.

If you want to be a member of a BMFA affiliated club which I believe most are then you have to be a BMFA member.

I could save a whole £12 a year to join the LMA but are they going to fight our corner and keep the menace of things like RID at bay?

Fully agree with you here... Flippin HELL... I spend £80 a week on Tobacco/Ciggys,,,, and the way the price for that has just jumped in the last few days the price of BMFA Cover Is diddly squat in money terms £47 is a bargain price and total value for money for BMFA Cover in anyones finances

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

The focus of the LMA's efforts would, quite rightly, be focused on the needs and interests of those flying large models, which are not necessarily the same as those of modellers flying typical models flown at typical club sites. Aiming to save the cost of a fish supper, over the year, doesn't sound like a good idea, if one's interests are not being addressed appropriately.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

£80 per week for tobacco ! Blimmey thats one hell of a habit you have, peamanent chain smoker.......

Try smoking something different then get a nicorette white stick kit, day 17 for me and boy I would love a fag right now....

That actually does both me & my wife hand rolling them but trust me thats gonna be changing very soon......:classic_wacko: and we do now have the nicorette inhalators 

show_inhalator.jpg

Edited by GaryWebb

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I'm intrigued, who are these chosen few we're paying for ?

They are surely the people who live near enough to use Buckminster as their local flying field.   The rest of us who live too far away to travel there for a few flights have to pay to belong to their local club which insists on 100 percent BMFA membership therefore subsidising Buckminster!

The BMFA should have bought ( not rented!)  fields in counties all over  which could have benefitted all the BMFA members not just the local few.  

• Like 1

I don't like the fees going up a fiver, peanuts it may be to some, combined with the other peanuts life is asking of me personally at present it's bad news, however, I see no point in singling the NFC out as the culprit for it. Lot of people putting work in to make it a success, and improve the facilities and options to make revenue via it.

Leave the BMFA to save a few quid ? Not a cat in hells chance of our club doing that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I don't like the fees going up a fiver, peanuts it may be to some, combined with the other peanuts life is asking of me personally at present it's bad news, however, I see no point in singling the NFC out as the culprit for it. Lot of people putting work in to make it a success, and improve the facilities and options to make revenue via it.

Leave the BMFA to save a few quid ? Not a cat in hells chance of our club doing that.

If i really wanted to save a few quid I'd cut the wifes card up....... just as I'm sure she would smash my models up to do the same with me......:classic_laugh:

Edited by GaryWebb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, kc said:

They are surely the people who live near enough to use Buckminster as their local flying field.   The rest of us who live too far away to travel there for a few flights have to pay to belong to their local club which insists on 100 percent BMFA membership therefore subsidising Buckminster!

The BMFA should have bought ( not rented!)  fields in counties all over  which could have benefitted all the BMFA members not just the local few.  

Of course there are people who love close by, thankfully, they pay for the towards it's upkeep.

7 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Of course there are people who love close by, thankfully, they pay for the towards it's upkeep.

If it's running at a loss then the rest of us are subsidising them!  THEY should be paying more not the members who don't live near.