Ebay sellers...

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Dangerous model for sale. Its been assembled without the wing joining spar so any attempt to fly it will result in failure of the wings. You can see the spar in one of the photos of the accessories. I was reading up the instructions and they do not show a photo of the main spar installation so its really easy to miss. 

Not an issue for me, i can fix it, but an accident waiting to happen if folk arent looking closely. Seller notified, not sure what he will do. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155282396901?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20211130125621%26meid%3Dd84f16b1759f49d1988b23128db2a642%26pid%3D101465%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D155282396901%26itm%3D155282396901%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D3817808%26brand%3DTop+Flite&_trksid=p3817808.c101465.m3507

I actually saw someone leave the main wing tube out once. A newbie at our field turned up with an ARTF (can’t remember what it was now). He took off and went into a turn, the wings immediately folded, and that was the end of that. On inspection of the wreckage by one of our more experienced members, he observed that there appeared to be no wing spar or tube installed. ‘Oh’, said the newbie, ‘I found a long piece of aluminium tube in the box, I wondered what it was for.’.  Doh!

14 hours ago, cymaz said:

Well spotted Jon 😯

Just call me hawkeye 🦅

On a serious note though i only found it as i was interested in the model as a potential home for a 200 inline and was looking for photos showing the internal structure so knew if i could mod it. Anyway flicking through i saw the wing joining instructions and quite literally said 'wait, what? theres no spar to join them? only those dowels?' I then read all those pesky words and it did make sense, but if you are just following the photos (as most would given the photo heavy nature of the manual) it would be very easy to miss. With that in mind i went to the photos on the listing to see if i could find the spar, and there it was. 

Like Evil, i have seen this before on trainers but never on something this big. So far the seller has ignored my suggestion that he should update the listing. i am still interested in buying the model, even though i really dont fancy the marathon trip round the M25 to go and get it. 

4 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Maybe, but the top mounting is out of line the rcxel unit has no vibration protection and the dreaded 'battery box' !!!

Why is it that modellers seem to think vibration protection isn't needed. That spring-pack for the ignition battery ughhh, what was he thinking or not ! We gave up using spring packs in transmitters years ago. A neat installation doesn't mean making compromises.

• Like 1

That unflown 86 inch Top Flite  Spitfire is only up to £82 and there is just over 2 hours to go......... surely a bargain for someone who can fix the wing spar.   It's "collection only" from Maidstone so that probably means not many people will bid!   Too big for me though.

Edited by kc

It seems to have gone to someone for £213.    Maybe a bargain as it seems to be a $899 plane.  Let's hope the buyer is aware of the spar situation!    Or was it Jon who placed the final bid?

Edited by kc

I reckon you can sell it on at a profit if you fix it!     At least it has gone to safe hands......the thought of just anybody flying a 22lb plane without a spar is well unthinkable.

Edited by kc

I just realised how much i have spent this week on model stuff i dont actually need. I will be selling off some stuff that is for sure as winning all 3 items i went for has come as a bit of a shock. I just have to work out what i can get shot of.