Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

I started flying about 5 years ago and in that time have only put together and flown electric powered airframes (not that this for me isn't an achievement in itself), but, after viewing an RC Jet on YouTube I knew straight away that this was my new goal, to put together and fly an RC Jet crook. I knew this wasn't going to be cheap, quick or easy, I had a lot to learn.

My Ripmax Xcalibur had its maiden flight on Saturday at Long Marston, this was the last JMA meet for 2015 and a final push in the last couple of weeks meant that I just managed to get her finished in time. I put my trust in Dave Wilshere to maiden her for me, after all, what Dave doesn't know about the Xcalibur isn't worth knowing. After a couple of peeps of trim she flew like she was on rails and I was offered the opportunity to have a twiddle on the sticks, WOW. I know I still have some way to go, taking off and landing her for starters, but I have actually achieved most of what I had set out to do, amazing.

So, was all the time, effort and expense worth it, oh yes absolutely , I'd do it all again tomorrow, even the Mrs had a tear in her eye when she saw it fly for the first time. What a hobby!!!

Xcalibur take off

Xcalibur in flight

Xcalibur landing

Thanks to Dave Wilshere (right) for all his help, advice and patience, oh yes, and perfect maiden.

Dave Wilshere and I

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't resist it! £10 airframe from the last swapmeet. Dropped in a £10 swapmeet OS 40FX from last year, servos stripped from mt AcroWot when I upgraded to digitals, RX from the downed Vision EP from Weston and finally pushed the boat out on a new RX battery!

20151025_125526.jpg

20151025_125537.jpg

Budget flying at it's best! Ugly thing but flies like it's on rails and whistles nicely on low passes!

Anybody fancy guessing the model?

Here is my New BH Chipmunk that had its maiden flight on Sunday. Flew beautifully with its OS95v. Comes in nice and slow on flaps and nicely acrobatic but easy to fly. I'm very happy with it. Had to do quite a lot of reinforcement of the kit, and put in a much stronger tail wheel wire, otherwise the rudder would have been sloppy. Standard fuel tank has about 20mins!!img_1382.jpg

Eventually flew the Commanche. Flew really well, once the canopy made it was ready. Even on dead stick twice, it just floats in and doesn't stall. The flaps work a treat, even with full deflection, no trim was altered at any speed - just slows down much better.

The other one, Funtana X flew well, so smooth, as you'd expect, and chucked it into flicks and tumbles a few times.

commanche (3).jpg

funtana_x (2).jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 31/10/2015 17:26:42

Bought this T-28 Trojan from a Swapmeet for £45. It's the smallest one in the Black Horse range, as I've already got the 120 and the 90 size one. Came with all servos and motor/esc/pro. needed batt and rx.

...so 3 models either bought and maidened this weekend

bh_t28trojan_electric (1).jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 01/11/2015 17:34:52

Seagull Spitfire. . . A really badly engineered kit -- quite literally the only piece of the kit which was any good was one retract unit. . It would have been quicker to build a new model from scratch rather than having to sort out all the problems, but they are indeed sorted out now and the model flies superbly. It looks pretty too.

Powered with a DLE 35-RA.

Seagull Spitfire

oooo, you little monkey CARPERFECT....I am currently covering my Dan Santich Original hots. I had one when I was 11, (now 43) and so am revisiting my youth, with my first plan build (got a good dad who has always balsa bashed for me, but I guess I've had to eventually grow up and do them myself), about a month away from posting finished pictures.

The story is that the Hots is a copy of the flying machine, and the flying machine is superior...my hots was great, just hope that it brings back the right sort of memories, and it was the past that steered me to the hots as opposed to the flying machine.

These two models were the models of choice, the other side of the pond, with the hots being scaled up and up with various different versions, but the midwest kits were notoriously unnecessarily heavy, so Ive gone back to the original plan, and people like the precident funfly, SLEC funfly, Twister etc have all "copied them"..with good success.

Would love to know how it goes....would like to see more of these types..as the size and mid wing make them easily transportable, great models for all weather....and shush...better than a Wot 4 in my opinion for all out hooligan fun.

Thanks for posting

Posted by Brian Cooper on 12/11/2015 11:08:33:

Seagull Spitfire. . . A really badly engineered kit -- quite literally the only piece of the kit which was any good was one retract unit. . It would have been quicker to build a new model from scratch rather than having to sort out all the problems, but they are indeed sorted out now and the model flies superbly. It looks pretty too.

Powered with a DLE 35-RA.

I assume you'll be doing a full review for one of the magazines, Brian . It would be interesting to see a review that tells it like it is but ends up with a worthwhile model. The route you took would help potential buyers, I'm sure.

Geoff

I agree with Geoff. I'm often incredulous when (consistantly) reading reviews that tell of throwing away parts because of poor quality, surgery to make thing fit ect ect, and seem to just accept the situation - often ending with a recommendation. This is totally wrong!

I appreciate the need for advertsing revenue but If magazines take a more radical stance and consistantly criticise these shortcomings, and start highlighting them, nothing will change and subscribers will continue to be sold substandard kits.

That's sad, Brian. I'm sure a review would have helped everybody, the magazine, buyers and, not least, Seagull, who would have been able to correct any problems at the cheapest point - the source. It certainly looks good in your picture and dwarfs your handsome helper

Geoff