Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Piers, it's a rather tubby Mini Stik bought as a bare airframe off Ebay - I shouldn't have but couldn't resist it. 1800kv 2812 motor and 1000mAh 2S lipo give it quite a lively performance but it actually slows down quite nicely too. As you might expect the roll rate is pretty spectacular at full chat!

David, considering I only bought the airframe as a throw-away to get the engine in it, it's turned out well and is a keeper for those rare calm days.  On the second flight today it picked up a thermal and was nearly out of sight before I realised it laugh

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/11/2016 20:46:48

HI Redex I was lucky enough to find an brand new unstarted kit it has fibre glass fuz and foam core balsa covered wings and tail plane which I then fibre glassed, it is my first attempt at spraying and am fairly pleased with it but did learn a lot in doing It (my typhoon I painted with a brush) it was also a first in me using paint masks (from flight line graphics) certainly easier than making my own as I did on my typhoon. The power comes from a Jets Munt 140XBL turbine which produces 140N (31.5lbs) of thrust, lights are from braincube.

A link to the maiden its a bit boring being as it was tail heavy I just wanted it to be a safe flight. **LINK**

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

des flt3 .jpgdes flt2.jpgWell, My new new model, Destiny was flown today. Flies like a dream, refuses to bite what ever you try but nicely aerobatic.

This one is a real builders model but well worth the effort.

Don't ask when it will come out, that is not my area and anyway I still have to get flying shots that are acceptable, cloud and dark skies are NOT.

des.flt1.jpg

My Hurricane has gained an antenna behind the cockpit and had its 5th and 6th flights today. This shot was taken on the first flight, for the 2nd more weight was removed from the nose and a 3 blade prop used just to see how it performed. As predicted the 3 blade slashed the performance but it was still pleasant, just naff in the vertical.

Anyway, not a bad day by any measure.

img_6623.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx chaps, my first go at 2k paint spraying (lovely stuff to work with).

The diet was for a reason, having lost Hucknall where there was no weight limit, i wanted to fly a jet at my local club, Long Eaton which has a limit of 7kg (dry) due to the closeness of east midlands airport!

Many hours were spent drilling holes and making lighter components (eg original canopy was 450g (!!!), the new one is 140g. Fins were 350g each now 150g etc etc

1.5kg was saved swapping the phoenix 30.3 engine for a jetsmunt and using replace per flight lipos for the engine.

Even bought loads of 2litre bottle of pop to find the lightest tank (that saved 10g!).

Seems strange watching a gram here and a gram there for such a big model.

Yet to maiden it (again) !

Dave Windy Miller

Ha! first post of 2017!

Alley Cat designed by Harry Gilkes. OS 15LA.

Used micro gear this time, seems much lighter than the old one, as it used standard size servos, a huge 35meg rx and battery, now using HS 101MG's a HS 225MG on aileron a Futaba 2.4 rx and 950mah AAA cells. How technology has moved on...

alleycat15 (3).jpg

alleycat15 (6).jpg

The Alley Kat by Harry Gilkes, that brings back memories , At our club in Cov that only consisted of Harry , Birdie and myself, Harry was the designer and builder and we just flew his creation normally to destruction , At that time I had a Scat Kat quickie 500 , not a Harry design , but very similar to the Alley Kat bit bigger .

Harry came one day with , Lemon Drop , Orange drop and Lime Drop , which he had built for us for pure RC combat , Which ended with Harry and Birdie meeting head on ! My orange drop survived for many years !

Harry had one draw back , he flew mode 1 , and so did Birdie ,

Good to hear his name after soo long

Cheers

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/01/2017 10:57:38:

Ha! first post of 2017!

Alley Cat designed by Harry Gilkes. OS 15LA.

Used micro gear this time, seems much lighter than the old one, as it used standard size servos, a huge 35meg rx and battery, now using HS 101MG's a HS 225MG on aileron a Futaba 2.4 rx and 950mah AAA cells. How technology has moved on...

alleycat15 (3).jpg

alleycat15 (6).jpg

Will go well with the Swamp Rat. Maiden tomorrow at the field? yes