Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Sort of new model. It flew many years ago with a HP61 up front. I've now electrified it, replaced the radio gear and all the linkages. It's basically a (Wolfgang Matt) Superstar although I built the fuselage a bit differently.

Wing span: 62 inches.
Weight: 6lb 13 oz.
Motor EMAX 3526-04, kv 860.
Battery 2 off, 4-cell 3000mAh in parallel.
ESC FrSky Neuron 60.

I tested it in may back garden and got around 65A, so I set the ESC to a current limit of 60A.

(re-)Maidened today, flew rock solid.

superstar.jpg

It flew quite happily on 20A, I only hit full power once, briefly after take off, showed 60.5A at 10900 RPM and 15.7V (so around 950W).
On the second flight the ESC temperature started at 38C and was 76C after 5 minutes and stayed there (don't you just love telemetry and logging?). THe second flight was around 6 minutes airborne and used 1700mAh of the available 6000.

I do have a FrSky S8R (stabilising) receiver in it, but it doesn't actually need it, it was completely stable even with some gusting winds.

I'm using this as practice flying a larger and heavier model ready to maiden my Warbirds Replicas Hurricane!

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 01/06/2019 21:46:38

img-20190601-wa0008.jpg4891.jpgMaidenend my 'Escapade' yesterday. She's a 1972 pattern plane from an Outezone plan and has a somewhat unusual look for that era pattern ship. Some minor right thrust added, maybe move the CG back a little, otherwise I'm a happy campersmiley

20190528_164211.jpg

Edited By Torsten Spitzner on 02/06/2019 05:35:32

Edited By Torsten Spitzner on 02/06/2019 05:37:01

Foamboard spitfire from the Flitetest plans. Used white Hobbycraft foamboard, which is heavier (and more expensive) than the Flitetest stuff but also seems stiffer and is easier to get. Not to the standard of the others on this thread but flies easily even for a novice flier like me.

img_20190518_175011886~2.jpg

img_20190602_145635255.jpg

And I remembered to give it a pilot

img_20190602_145748404.jpg

img_20190602_145947264.jpg

Thanks Tim. Despite having flown some of my electric ‘planes since the demise of Sbach 342 (2) I took to the air with the new one with more than a bit of trepidation! I shouldn’t have worried as it flew really well. Before the flight I did a long range signal test by driving about ¾ mile away with the TX then spoke via mobile to my mate in the pits to make sure controls were working! Fortunately there were no low signal messages from the telemetry. So I’ve no replumbed the tank all ready for next flight.

I've just finished Miss Foxy Lady, based on a real Mustang Reno racer from the 1970s, built from a Traplet plan in the April 2004 Q&EFI mag. I haven't flown it yet, but it should be fast as I've updated the suggested 650 brushed motor and NiCads to a modern brushless DYS (Turnigy) D3536/5 1450KV and 2200Mah 3S Lipo.

wswjiylkqg2pootkfh3saa.jpg

daccj56xqukhiqljrkuubg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the West Wings F-117 balsa kit, built in 3mm depron with micro rc gear and 2s 260mah LiPo. 95g and handles 8mph winds, just!

20190614_181956.jpg

Unfortunately I broke the tip of the nose on the second test glide and rain postponed the maiden flight halfway through the first battery. After the rain (and a Macdonalds Spicy signature meal) I flew the remainder of the battery and 3 more.

Turns quickly, rolls well, doesn't like flying inverted, loops after a high speed dive and lands easily. A few touch ups and waterslide decals and it's ready for indoor flying, and outdoor!

• 2 weeks later...

Maidened today a Sebart 50E PC 21 powered by an inverted OS 81 alpha F/S; just a few clicks of trim and she flew very well although inverted in a half cuban seemed to stress the engine so the plumbing needs checking. Landings were slow enough not to require the recommended flaperon dialled into my Tx. A very nice model indeed

PC 21 image.jpg

Two new models test flown yesterday evening, one old type and something modern.

First away was Veron Cardinal built last winter as a home for an original Mills P75 which was given to me by a mate who is something of a magpie. He found it in a skip at the local dump [ recycling centre ] [ he has also come back with an Irvine 46 and an Irvine 20,smiley lucky me ] Cardinal has been set up for 2 channel control. Several changes from the original plan the main one being reduced span and increased cord on the tail plane. I just do not like the look of tail planes half the span of the wing common on many vintage models. Cardinal flew ok, just needs a bit more down thrust. Mills ran a treat.

I have not had a foamy warbird before. The little used FMS mini Spitfire was purchased at a club sale because it had a full range Futaba 2006 rx in it, the whole thing going for the price of an rx. I was pleasantly surprised how well it flew looking very spitfire ish in the air.small planes

Fellow club member MIck King brought his new The OHmen to the field today. He enlarged the plan by 130%.

The model flew beautifully and was as aerobatic as the original. Mick was worried about possible lack of power. He has a 100 amp motor in it. It has more than enough power because the wing loading is so low.

dscf4167.jpg

dscf4166.jpg

dscf4164.jpg

Shown with my orginal model

Picture of my Tony Nijhuis 72 inch MK V Spitfire. I built this last year and it has remained in my garage ever since. Powered by an ASP 120 FS. I lacked the confidence to fly it as our strip is not that long and I thought there would be an issue with the landing speed being a bit high even with flaps. Last week a club member who is a very capable flyer took it for its first flight. It flew beautifully but sure enough landing was a problem. Slowing it down to try and get it on our strip resulted in damage to the retracts. I am repairing them now, but until I get the use of a longer strip it will either stay in my garage or be sold. I will fit the cannons though.

RichardSpitfire