Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Although my main interest is building and flying RC aircraft, I sometimes like to go back to the early days and do a bit of free flight. Since losing our old flying field the club has now got a new field which is very large so I hope to be able to use it for a bit of free flight. My old Vic Smeed  "Miss 38" was looking very tatty so I decided on another of his designs and bought a plan of " Mam'selle'. I have used my ED bee as a power unit and am now waiting for a calm evening to test it.20210731_173838.thumb.jpg.748d0dd432fe1d6937b8abdaac1b5ad4.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

First flight on my Smith Mini plane today, bought it second hand and it was obviously built quite a few years ago and had already been converted to electric. I have put a 900kv motor in it on a 3300 4s pack and 11x8.5 APC e prop, performance is good but flight times are only 4 mins on this set up. Handled this breezy conditions very nicely and despite being a portly 6 lbs 2oz it slows up nicely when landing. 

my smith.jpg

my smith 2.jpg

• Like 8

Had three successful maiden flights yesterday, but it will be a few days before I have any pictures. Here's a preflight snap of my Wot 4 Foam-E rescue though.

The model was a crash victim, one of several that I had for the cost of a healthy donation to Parkinson's research at a deceased clubmate's estate sale a couple of years ago. The model was pretty badly damaged and Les had made some modifications to it -some good, like the fantastic "Big Knob" tm wing mounting bolt that provides easy one handed wing retention and some not so good, like several big cooling holes poked through the fuselage sides with a soldering iron. The motor, motor mount and front end were goosed, aileron torn off, elevator halves disconnected, undercarriage torn off and the model had a really scruffy, rattle can paint job.

I repaired the front end, added a cowl, put some silicone hinging to reattach the torn off aileron, filled in the fuselage holes and fixed the elevator joiner. For the paint job I went over the spray job with brush painted primary colours, but the yellow didn't cover some of the semi-random graffiti-style spray lines. I covered some of those with a Mondrian inspired set of lines, applied with a Tamiya dark blue paint marker. I liked the look of that, so used it to outline the other coloured areas and I'm quite pleased with the effect. It's still a bit scruffy, but it really stands out in the air.

I was worried that the paint might have added too much weight, but the model is a delight to fly and I'm really pleased. Just like my Dallas Doll P-51 refurb, which was another of Les's crash victims, it will make me smile to think of a much-missed lovely man and a very enthusiastic modeller every time I fly the Wot 4 Foam-E. ?IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.c8925ee5aca18fa9f636ae09f6d176a5.jpg

• Like 3

Flair Legionnaire maidened yesterday it was modiified to look like a Nieuport 27 with inspiration from an old build blog from Geoff2wings. Powered by an OS 48 Surpass and covered with Oratex with painted markings and weathering.

it flew OK but needs some down thrust adding but has plenty of power with the 25 year old OS.

Next up is an Aeolus 3 slope soarer from the Dave Woods plans probably followed by a Krier Kraft from the Gordon Whitehead plans and I need to do something about my building addiction because I’m running out of space.

25D01B79-196A-4C9F-A2BE-031350A758D4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I crashed my Funcub a few weeks ago, attempted a repair which was unsatisfactory, so looked around for a replacement. I soon found that, due to Covid, stocks of most high-wing Cub type planes were non-existent. The only thing which appealed was the latest model of Multiplex Funcub. The problem there was that it really needed a larger battery than those I have and the motor mount isn't compatible with the motors I have, and I really don't want to buy more equipment when I've got perfectly serviceable items in stock. So, the answer's obvious, use the salvable parts, wings, tail-feathers and all the electro-mechanical parts from the Funcub and build a new fuselage. It's taken a bit longer to build than I'd hoped but I maidened it today.

It flies beautifully so I'm really pleased with it. The only problem is that the nice shiny fuselage makes the wings and tail look decidedly scruffy!

DSC03390.thumb.JPG.769b7c93816bc804281b12ae262b6ba6.JPG

DSC03393.thumb.JPG.e8837f71ba247ce39d0af69a845e26ac.JPG

• Like 6

Here's the successful maidens of a few of the fixer-uppers from the weekend, courtesy of my pal Derek behind the lens. First up that Wot 4 Foam-E refurb, then the Mini Astro Hog Dark Nights Fix Up 2020 veteran and finally my recently acquired E-Flite F4UA1 Corsair - which feels like a much bigger model in the air -and fina;;y my P-47 Thunderbolt. I mist make some undercarriage doors for that one.1398576503_0443Wot4flyingE.thumb.jpg.477f34bfa68694711b9d93d4d6c2a48a.jpg

2075506106_0521Astrohog4E.thumb.jpg.fb5b1975eaaaf79743c3b1e42aee4de4.jpg804484463_0510Astrohog1E.thumb.jpg.d06c38e7679b24ed5f281e754e417a98.jpg1399323934_0537Corsairflying1E.thumb.jpg.206d3a7347a98c6d027411b21ec249fb.jpg1935512718_0575Corsairflying5E.thumb.jpg.22e482dfc6bf4e3e1d986fbe06bc282f.jpg948802384_0586Corsairflying7E(1).thumb.jpg.1ad4c44fd40c82e4b996fbf05897c5a6.jpg1028186509_0301BriansJug3E.thumb.jpg.1733458175ad552fa5a5c38c43926a9b.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alan Thorpe said:

Great photos and well done gettinh all the refurbs done, with successful flying!

I have the same P47, snorting Bull, it is one of my fabourites to fly, really docile and looks great in the air!

The Parkzone P-47 wasn't really on my radar, though my Parkzone Spitfire is probably my most flown model. However on mf the guys I chat to online had been raving about how it was the best PZ model - but discontinued, I searched for one for a while then pretty well give up. Once I stopped searching one showed up online and was brand new in the box - the parts were still in their sealed plastic bags.

I'm so impressed with the Thunderbolt - the sit in the air is great and, like the FW190 doesn't seem to want to hit the desk -dive at the field and she levels out on her own. Pretty quick on a 3 cell pack too -definitely a real favourite now.

• Like 1

Big Guff (re) maidened on 4th September. The fuselage and tailplane of the original were lost when an unsupervised LiPo exploded and set fire to the model and to my WOT 4 XL which was hanging on the wall next to it. My clubmate Guy Auvieux built the tailplane, fin and rudder for me and Bertrand Viol carried the beast to the runway. Laser 70 fitted.

Maiden Flight 2.jpg

Maiden Flight 3.jpg

Maiden flight.jpg

Maiden landing.jpg

Maiden Flight 4.jpg

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 4