Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

My latest maiden, or that should be remaiden as this one had a few. The second MB5 in my fleet, brought from a chap in west London late 90’s, he was part of a club who made a their own fuselage moulds & foam wings for the MB5. This was one of a few models they produced in the 80’s ish, and had been stored in his loft for a good number of years after he’d finished flying it. 

I converted it from the OS40 to electric soon after, but that maiden didn’t go well (very aft CG!), and the remains lived in my loft until this winter. This time I had to first repair all the damage I’d done before making a better job of the electric conversion. After recalculating, measuring and checking the CG several times, I can report the last maiden went a lot smoother.  Overall very pleased with how it flys even if it’s taken me over 20 years!

IMG_1414.png

IMG_1416.png

IMG_1415.png

Edited by Roy Thompson
Pictures didn’t load
  • Like 17

image.thumb.jpeg.45800b5b26b7038449e2983802c738e2.jpeg

Fw 190 A-8 in the Black 13 scheme of ace Pips Priller. Built over last 15 months from Vailly Aviation plans. Span is 92” AUW 16kg power Valach 85cc twin boxer with self starter. Klasskote paints, Sierra retracts. Just guns, aerials and pitot to add once trimming flights are over. First flew last weekend.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

My first ever EDF. Arrows Marlin from Leeds Model Shop. Powered by 4s 2700 batteries. A total of 8 screws completes the build. 

I had to extend the slots on the battery tray to get the battery back  far enough for cg balance. I’ve also bought the wing servo  covers if I feel the need to hand launch and belly land with the UC removed.

354EFEAC-8F21-4472-8C78-98A9D1ACC81A.jpeg

F673C577-65F0-4F0B-8AED-E249C11B9135.jpeg

• Like 5

On 02/07/2023 at 08:57, cymaz said:

My first ever EDF. Arrows Marlin from Leeds Model Shop. Powered by 4s 2700 batteries. A total of 8 screws completes the build. 

I had to extend the slots on the battery tray to get the battery back  far enough for cg balance. I’ve also bought the wing servo  covers if I feel the need to hand launch and belly land with the UC removed.

354EFEAC-8F21-4472-8C78-98A9D1ACC81A.jpeg

F673C577-65F0-4F0B-8AED-E249C11B9135.jpeg

Watch out for the Marlin Bounce.

marlin.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Couple of on the bench pictures of my latest pair of models, intended for single channel radio, once they have their maiden flights under three channel proportional under their belts.

First one is a Ken Willard Schoolboy, built for this weekend's Pontefract fly in and single channel vintage event. LIkely that I won;t be flying the sChoolmaster, as I haven't managed to get a maiden flight in yet and it's pouring down here today. Powered by a tiny 1106 brushless outrunner, mounted on a dummy Cox Tee Dee .010 motor I was surprised quite how much waft the diddy motor and 2.5" prop generated. Model is built from the Outerzone plan and I opted for the original open strucutre wing, rather than the sheeted wing of the Tru-Flite version.

269875902_schoolboyfinished.thumb.jpg.4680fe4079e0f52ab2a35d3751bdc71e.jpg

Second one is a Keil Kraft Outlaw, builtfrom a short kit and plan - again from the Outerzone - I'm building this OUtlaw fifty years since my first unsuccessful attempts at radio control. AS she's only finished this morning, though intended for the Potefract event she won't be eligible to fly, but can have a ride in the car. 🙂 I'm building the Outlaw with two fuselages, one electric powered and one with a PAW diesel - either a 1.49 RC or a 19 RC - yet to be decided.

outlawfinished.thumb.jpg.335b9f6d4c82ae2a0aa124c0b1037cc3.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

My latest model, a Mick Reeves Spitfire,  not built by me, bought without engine never had one fitted now with a Saito 123a ready to go when weather permits with lead ballast comes out at 14 lb. If successful with this motor I will try to conceal the exhaust. Not cutting the  lower cowl till after the Maiden flight. 20230724_163229.thumb.jpg.0eca7a7e85f2f6fec3b2c761338f87ad.jpg20230724_163405.thumb.jpg.1e5b5ff9f4bb25c19663075df8ac9590.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

My latest model, a Mick Reeves Spitfire,  not built by me, bought without engine never had one fitted now with a Saito 123a ready to go when weather permits with lead ballast comes out at 14 lb. If successful with this motor I will try to conceal the exhaust. Not cutting the  lower cowl till after the Maiden flight. 20230724_163229.thumb.jpg.0eca7a7e85f2f6fec3b2c761338f87ad.jpg20230724_163405.thumb.jpg.1e5b5ff9f4bb25c19663075df8ac9590.jpg

Beautiful Spitfire 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Really nice, I built one when I lived at Newcastle in the 70's,( OS .60 Gold head )  and it looked nowhere near as good as yours.

Thanks Paul,  I live near Newcastle and I could do with some of your weather right now,  our club field is on top of a hill and the wind changes direction throughout the day regularly. The plane was built for a model shop by someone who does not fly much , it is a first class build but I have had a lot of work sorting it out. The cowl was altered with the centre section being permanently attached to the fuselage so without major changes I was limited to what engine would fit in, the firewall was undrllled so I had to use a long drill bit for the engine mount bolts. I think it has some age as the rubber bands used to return the flap indicators were perished. Every thing else seems good, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Thanks Paul,  I live near Newcastle and I could do with some of your weather right now,  our club field is on top of a hill and the wind changes direction throughout the day regularly. The plane was built for a model shop by someone who does not fly much , it is a first class build but I have had a lot of work sorting it out. The cowl was altered with the centre section being permanently attached to the fuselage so without major changes I was limited to what engine would fit in, the firewall was undrllled so I had to use a long drill bit for the engine mount bolts. I think it has some age as the rubber bands used to return the flap indicators were perished. Every thing else seems good, fingers crossed. 

16 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Successful Maiden today, a strong breeze from not the best direction a bit hairy on take off needing a lot of down elevator for level flight, could do with a bit more power but flew well after trimming, a bit thirsty but in the wind it was almost flat out throughout the flight. After all the rain the ground was soft and the landing was good but the oleos turned on the pins so I need to put some flats on. It seems that they have been put on with loctite retainer as they were reluctant to come off even with the grub screws removed. 

• Like 2