Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

1 hour ago, Futura57 said:

The flat knat looks small and light for a 64mm 4S fan. I bet it shifts. Does the air get in underneath?

It’s maybe slightly bigger than it looks in photos. I think wingspan is about 650mm, and weight RTF about 850g. Air intakes are indeed under the wing - no cheater holes yet but I’ll probably add some soon. 
I’ve attached an image from my CAD design sketches that show the intake arrangement. 

Sport_Jet_v1_2023-Oct-16_09-29-08PM-000_CustomizedView4948147988.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Glenn Ryan said:

That looks cool. A friend has just gifted me two 90mm EDF's. That scaled up slightly to suit would be awesome. Just saying 😉

I think for those you need to visit Jetworks.online

They have some amazing scale models, but much more time required to build them!

14 hours ago, Lipo Man said:

Scratch built B&Q foam simple EDF. 64mm fan off a 4s 2200mAh. Own design - after people suggesting it looks a bit like a Gnat I think I’m going to christen it the “Flat Gnat”. 🤣

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

To my eyes, the lines are closer to the Jaguar than the Gnat. Either way, looks good  

Edited by Manish Chandrayan

12 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

To my eyes, the lines are closer to the Jaguar than the Gnat. Either way, looks good  

Yes - that’s the other one that gets mentioned! I think it could go either way depending on the scheme. I’m going to go for an RAF training scheme, so I think that will emphasis the “gnat” look. Time will tell!

I had my Maiden flight today with my latest depron and foamboard model 65" span weight 6.5lb ready to fly, no problems apart from my fingers freezing in the cold N E wind second flight 4.5 minutes 71% left in the battery. Must be my age but I did not feel like hanging around in the cold so pleased with the result I went home some hit soup. 

20231112_104833.jpg

20231110_233431.jpg

• Like 15

Dream Flight Weasel for lighter wind days.

For the premium price the quality of mine hasn't been great, the wings not lining up with the fuselage and plenty of dents in the surface, hopefully it'll fly better than it looks.

I've been trying a RadioMaster Pocket TX and I've been very happy with it, no stretching from the sticks to the switches and the removable sticks with no switches sticking out means no problems throwing it in a rucksack. 

1547241785_WhatsAppImage2023-11-19at16_17.50_cc96bd7b.thumb.jpg.51ddafba534114cfda2a22c5f2e49004.jpg

My powered conversion of a FX707s.Albatross.

Decals1.JPG.6948cd5f73c1a2f40f886f880a0ece00.JPG

Not normally that interested if RTF "foamies" but the size of the FX707 at 1/2m span and the fact it is moulded in EPO made a power conversion interesting to go with my LIDL and Cheetah chuck glider conversions.

It 360g AUW with an 850mAh 3s it flies rather better than I expected almost a true glider. The conversion has added only 80g to the original glider's weight. 

A video of its maiden flight. Full power only used for the hand launch,  most of the flight at much reduced throttle, approach and landing just gliding.  

I forgot to share a picture of the “Flat Gnat” after it was painted. I went for a cartoonish version of an RAF training scheme on the full size gnats. Given the simplicity of the model it worked out well and it’s now much easier to see in flight, which is useful as it’s surprisingly quick!

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

• Like 15

On 12/11/2023 at 20:24, Eric Robson said:

I had my Maiden flight today with my latest depron and foamboard model 65" span weight 6.5lb ready to fly, no problems apart from my fingers freezing in the cold N E wind second flight 4.5 minutes 71% left in the battery. Must be my age but I did not feel like hanging around in the cold so pleased with the result I went home some hit soup. 

20231112_104833.jpg

20231110_233431.jpg

Hello Eric. Looks really nice. You say that you used depron and foamboard. Just wondering which parts are depron and which are foamboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

65" 109f composite build. 

Michael if you look on this thread you will see how it was made. 

The fuselage profile and formers are foamboard with some balsa and ply, the lower wing panels are foamboard the ribs are 6mm depron and 1/8"ply, top wing skin and fuselage cladding 1/8" depron 

Thanks Eric.Mike.

My last project from how she looked when I picked her up to now all completed and looking resplendent with her new cowling, fitted and painted. This was a complete back to bare airframe restoration and E conversion. 

She is a Bowman’s Model, Miles Magister 1 designed in 1979 with an 85 inch span and an AUW of 13 1/2lbs (recommended 10lbs), running a 6S system turning a 16x8 wooden prop. She fly’s really nice even with the extra weight.

IMG_1679.png

IMG_1683.png

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1665.jpeg

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_1693.jpeg

• Like 19